PDA

View Full Version : Red Sponge

windcoast reefs
02-02-2011, 06:55 AM
Hey everyone I was just wondering about the care requirements for a red sponge. I saw a great deal online and was wondering if I can keep one in my tank, or if there is anything I should know about sponges.

My tank setup is:

33 gallon tall tank
2 Koralia power heads (750g, 1050g)
Aquaticlife 2 HO T5
2 x 50 supplement actinic LED lighting bar
1 10w HO LED pendant
Protein skimmer
Bio-pellets (currently not running because of bacteria bloom)
Also Running Carbon

daniella3d
02-02-2011, 06:24 PM
What type of sponge is it? photosynthetic or not?

Usualy it is extremely difficult to keep, they need very high nutriment rich water because it is non-photosynthetic and absolutely zero algae growing on them. They need also pristine water quality and stable water parameters. They must never ever be exposed to air or this will get trapped into the sponge and it will cut off the circulation within the sponge and kill it. With 33 gallons, you will pollute your tank before the sponge have enough to eat for its survival.

It is not a good choice. Choose the blue haliclona instead as it is easy to maintain and it is photosynthetic.

Hey everyone I was just wondering about the care requirements for a red sponge. I saw a great deal online and was wondering if I can keep one in my tank, or if there is anything I should know about sponges.

My tank setup is:

33 gallon tall tank
2 Koralia power heads (750g, 1050g)
Aquaticlife 2 HO T5
2 x 50 supplement actinic LED lighting bar
1 10w HO LED pendant
Protein skimmer
Bio-pellets (currently not running because of bacteria bloom)
Also Running Carbon

mattdean
02-02-2011, 06:27 PM
I agree. I have the blue and it's very easy to keep. Even survived a tank crash due to stuck heater. And...it's very pretty blue.

windcoast reefs
02-02-2011, 06:38 PM
Okay that is good to know. I will take a look at the blue haliclona.