PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Advice

Skinner
02-02-2011, 02:53 AM
I am new to the hobby and was looking to ask a couple of questions. My tests read - Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Ph 8.2, Nitrate 20ppm, Phosphate 0, Calcium 400ppm. Now I think I am ready to put something in the tank. What should I add first? How many inverts and or fish can I add to my 90gal tank for the first time? I do eventually want to add corals and I have the right equipment to do it but I think I should wait until I have a mature tank. Now how do I go about bringing them home ( 3hrs away)? When I get them home what is the best way to add them to my tank? Thanks so much for any info this is the best site ever.

Skinner
02-02-2011, 10:50 PM
Wow 44 viewers and not one reply. Thanks

Aquattro
02-02-2011, 10:53 PM

New here, huh? Well, I viewed it earlier, but I'm at work and can't go into a big reply until after I get home, and now I'm not going to do that. With that kind of patience, you may not be in the right hobby.....

ensquire
02-02-2011, 11:13 PM
Only a couple of fish at a time and maybe a few shrimp, cleanup crew

Here is J&L's acclimation guide for you to reference, good reading .

http://www.jlaquatics.com/static/acclimation.htm#acclimation

Zoaelite
02-02-2011, 11:21 PM
Patience is unfathomably important in this hobby, especially when you are dealing with people who give out free helpful advice :wink:.

I would suggest having a look at the Reef keeping blog hosted by Reef Central
http://www.reefkeeping.com/joomla/index.php/reefkeeping-blog. There is some great beginner information and once you start understanding the basics the more advanced articles start making sense.

My first recommendation is to retest your parameters if at all possible, hobby test kits are highly inaccurate and can cause some problems (Including your salinity measurement if you are not using a refractometer). Don't worry about pH, Ca, Alk or Mg until you decide to start adding coral.

Are you using liverock?
If so how long has it been cured for?
If so how many lbs of it?
How much sand are you using?
Any other nitrate/ phosphate sinks?

What are you running for a skimmer?
What are you running for lighting?
What are you running for water flow?
What is the tanks temperature?

What are your water changes scheduled at?

Have you researched any fish you would like to purchase?

Just a few starter questions to get you pointed in the right direction, once we get these answered and your fish selection picked then we can worry about getting them home.

naesco
02-02-2011, 11:39 PM
I am new to the hobby and was looking to ask a couple of questions. My tests read - Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Ph 8.2, Nitrate 20ppm, Phosphate 0, Calcium 400ppm. Now I think I am ready to put something in the tank. What should I add first? How many inverts and or fish can I add to my 90gal tank for the first time? I do eventually want to add corals and I have the right equipment to do it but I think I should wait until I have a mature tank. Now how do I go about bringing them home ( 3hrs away)? When I get them home what is the best way to add them to my tank? Thanks so much for any info this is the best site ever.

How long has your tank been cycling?
Put in one or two hermit crabs if you like them. They are predators so it is a mistake to put in many.
A half dozen snails should do (avoid bumble bee as they are predators too)
A cleaner shrimp
All the above require slooooooooow acclimatization as posted.

Unless you are adding tiny fish the rule of thumb is one fish per month (your tank is large enough for two.)

Choose healthy fish and ones that accommodate your tank (for example tangs except the kole tang which is a nice choice require 6 foot tanks. Most angels and butterfly will start eating your coral. Choose a good beginner easy to care for beginner fish.
Observe the fish (actually see it eating). Make sure there are no spots, tears or bruising.
Clear eyes. A healthy fish will be just as inquisitive in you as you are about it.

As posted patience is key. Good luck and thanks for asking.

George
02-03-2011, 12:24 AM

I think no one replied because the same questions have been answered a million times in here and some other boards. A search will turn up the answer for you.

daniella3d
02-03-2011, 12:31 AM
You are asking all the very basic questions. Maybe do some readings and ask more specific questions? You should get your nitrates lower before you start to add fish and add them slowly. Oh...the most important thing..get a quarantine tank and quarantine everything for 4 weeks.