PDA

View Full Version : Sump piping

windcoast reefs
02-02-2011, 12:20 AM
Hey everyone!

I am putting in a 20 gallon sump for my 33 gallon reef tank. I am really not sure what size pipe I should be using for the sump. I have decided on a Danner mag-drive 3 pump as my return from the sump to the tank. Any suggestions on pipe sizes?

The Grizz
02-02-2011, 01:21 AM
Depending on what you are doing for an overflow you should have at least an 1 1/2" drain from tank to sump and a 1" return line.

windcoast reefs
02-02-2011, 01:53 AM
Depending on what you are doing for an overflow you should have at least an 1 1/2" drain from tank to sump and a 1" return line.

Really? Wow thats allot larger than I though I would need. It will be drilled, so there won't be any overflow boxes.

The Grizz
02-02-2011, 01:57 AM
No internal overflow? I can't say I have seen that before, are you just going to have the pipe exposed and to the top level of the tank?

Aquattro
02-02-2011, 02:02 AM
I use 1" on my dual durso and return, seems to give me lots of flow on my 180.
Before you buy anything, let me know what you need, I have tons of stuff that I need to get rid of.

e46er
02-02-2011, 02:03 AM
3/4" return should be plenty for a tank that size

a 1" drain would be ok unless you plan on keeping large snails which could potentially block it

a mag 350 puts out ~ 200 GPH @ 6 ' head pressure so a 1" drain would have to be almost clogged solid to cause a flood
id drill 2 holes and do a herbie style overflow silent and virtually flood proof
return(s) over the back of tank

Binare
02-02-2011, 02:05 AM
3/4" return should be plenty for a tank that size

a 1" drain would be ok unless you plan on keeping large snails which could potentially block it

a mag 350 puts out ~ 200 GPH @ 6 ' head pressure so a 1" drain would have to be almost clogged solid to cause a flood
id drill 2 holes and do a herbie style overflow silent and virtually flood proof
return(s) over the back of tank

+1

golf nut
02-02-2011, 02:07 AM
Really? Wow thats allot larger than I though I would need. It will be drilled, so there won't be any overflow boxes.

All the more reason for taking Grizz's advice and go big, are you going to drill the bottom or the back?

e46er
02-02-2011, 02:08 AM
you will need an overflow box of some kind to cut off a syphon if power goes out and when you shut off the return pump to do a water change

you could drill the bulkhead close to the top of the water level but you will need to make sure you have enough room in the sump to drain the display down probably 2 inches minimum leaving the 20 G sump to hold very little water
FWIW my 40 G sump only holds about 17-18 G of water and some sand and rock

Aquattro
02-02-2011, 02:12 AM
You can drill the side and use a 90 as the overflow, but I would suggest at least a small box. Is it drilled already? I can give you lots of PVC, so use your money on a box :)

Borderjumper
02-02-2011, 02:16 AM
I'm actually plumbing my new tank tonight:mrgreen: Im using 1" for the overflows, which IMO is good enough as there are two, and 5/8 for the return. I find there's a huge difference in the flow between 1/2" and 5/8.. So I go 5/8".

I don't use overflows. I have elbows with strainers.. It's always worked for me.

The Grizz
02-02-2011, 02:20 AM
Do a small center internal overflow box just big enough for 1 -1 1/2" bulkhead for the main drain, choaked back with a gate valve and 1 - 1" bulkhead for an emergency drain, as so known as a Herbie.

That is my suggestion for what it worth.

Aquattro
02-02-2011, 02:22 AM
Do a small center internal overflow box just big enough for 1 -1 1/2" bulkhead for the main drain, choaked back with a gate valve and 1 - 1" bulkhead for an emergency drain, as so known as a Herbie.

That is my suggestion for what it worth.

Pretty good plan, not too much real estate taken up. You should come over and see mine, and get some PVC (pleeeeese :))

The Grizz
02-02-2011, 02:33 AM
Pretty good plan, not too much real estate taken up. You should come over and see mine, and get some PVC (pleeeeese :))

Put it all in a box and send it to me collect:twised:

The Grizz
02-02-2011, 02:37 AM
OR do a small corner box with a Durso, then there is no need for a gat valve. Bring your return up through the other corner with a check valve and some loc- line at the bottom of the tank.

windcoast reefs
02-02-2011, 02:38 AM
All the more reason for taking Grizz's advice and go big, are you going to drill the bottom or the back?

Im gonna be drilling the back of the tank, the bottom is tempered.

windcoast reefs
02-02-2011, 02:39 AM
Well it looks like I have allot more planning to do! There is way more options than I thought!

The Grizz
02-02-2011, 03:08 AM
I had a 155gal bow front that was drilled in the back. The overflow were only 6" x 6" so I took a 90 degree elbow and cut it as shrt as possible on one end then made a took a very short piece of 1 1/2" PVC pipe glued it into the elbow and shoved it into the bulkhead but did not glue it. The top end was a Hofer Gurgle Buster. It was compact, easy to build and adjustable.

Just another idea to add to the rest:twised: