PDA

View Full Version : Homemade FOOD Recipes??

tgrover
01-30-2011, 10:48 PM
Does anyone want to share their homemade food recipes? I have a mixed tank and I would really like to start making food.

loveless
01-30-2011, 11:12 PM
I just buy the frozen mixed sea food from the grocery store.

3 bags mixed sea food

1 package frozen cylopeze.

Maybe add some more frozen clams

Then I bought a hand grinder from Princess auto

Grind it all up on the smallest setting, throw it in a bucket stir it all up.

Get freezer bags and fill and flaten like mysis bags then freeze on a cookie sheet to keep it flat and easy to use.

Done

Wayne
01-30-2011, 11:12 PM
Head down to your local grocery store and grab a huge variety of fresh seafood. Fish, squid, scallops, shrimp, oysters and nori are what I use in my mix (changes depending on whats on sale) . Good idea to make a big batch, bag it up and sell it to other reefers to help with the cost :lol:

reeferious
01-30-2011, 11:41 PM
here's mine:(major ingredients); white-fleshed fish meat, cod, halibut, snapper or other seasonal saltwater fish. minor ingredients; small salmon fillet(read small), a few mussels, handful of cherry clam meats and if your phosphate level is too high you can always skip mussels but i find them to be quite an appetite stimulant, a few splashes of selcon,fresh garlic puree from clove or two. feed my tanks 3 times a week along with algae sheets. been using formula for quite some time and even my most finicky lionfish and sargassum fish has shown no appetite loss.

tgrover
01-30-2011, 11:46 PM
thanks!! Does anyone use vegetables and/or fruit?

Wayne
01-30-2011, 11:52 PM
Just nori, zuccini could probley be used aswell.

monocus
01-31-2011, 01:54 PM
i use different types of nori bought at the t&t downtown,mixed with 1&2 pellets,oyster egg,fresh or frozen roe(also from t&t)pureed prawns,and some different sheets of sea vegies-all soaked then pureed.i also get as much fresh seafood,or frozen,and coarse chop it.vegie kept separate from the seafood to adjust the usage of the fish

HL649
01-31-2011, 02:14 PM
Walmart seafood salad. It's a bag of assorted frozen seafood (clams, oysters, mussels, squid, octopus, shrimp). I grind it up and freeze it flat in sandwich bags. I can break off a piece as large as I need.

Wildechild_01
01-31-2011, 06:30 PM
great ideas guys, just wondering if these recipes take corals into account, and if not think i could just throw something premade like Marine Snow into the mix and have an all in one Frozen food for my tank?

kien
01-31-2011, 06:56 PM
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=483333&postcount=257

:biggrin:

whatcaneyedo
02-01-2011, 12:51 AM
Do-it-Yourself Frozen Food
by Steven, Pro
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-01/diy/index.php

Zoaelite
02-01-2011, 01:41 AM
Do-it-Yourself Frozen Food
by Steven, Pro
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-01/diy/index.php

I am never eating Jello again...Thanks for ruining that for me haha.

PoonTang
02-01-2011, 03:40 AM
Here's the one I use.
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=40466&highlight=homemade+fishfood

Timbits
02-01-2011, 05:23 AM
just wondering for those who use frozen seafood...... isn't it bad to thaw out the seafood and then freeze it again which is what happens when making this home-made food hmmmm?

monocus
02-01-2011, 05:38 AM
that is only for human consumption.i don't thaw my frozen fish all the way-as long as it has ice crystals still in the flesh it can be refrozen for human consumption.i do the same thing for my fish-though my wrasses and cromis' don't care and will scarf down anything as fast as possable

Timbits
02-01-2011, 05:58 AM
that is only for human consumption.i don't thaw my frozen fish all the way-as long as it has ice crystals still in the flesh it can be refrozen for human consumption.i do the same thing for my fish-though my wrasses and cromis' don't care and will scarf down anything as fast as possable

oohhhh ok .... do you know where i can get sum Vita-Chem? Can't seem to find it anywhere!