PDA

View Full Version : 48x20x15 sump tank / help needed

corrosionjerry
01-30-2011, 09:07 PM
Ok... I am in the process of putting together my sump from a breeding tank I had for FW..

Just wondering how I should section this thing off / I want to use part of it for a refugium... any thoughts on what size I should make each section...

The Mother tank above is 48/18/20... I plan on using a 800G return pump with a couple of 1200GPH PH... the tank has an internal overflow box with 1 1/2 outflow and 1 inch return...

I plan on using an in sump protein skimmer

Binare
01-30-2011, 11:51 PM
Thats a ton of flow for a small sump. Your skimmer definately wont process anywhere near that and your refugium will be more like a typhoon. I know people like to size return pumps to display tanks for some odd reason but it really does make more sense to size em to your sump and let the power heads in the display do what they are designed for. I always pick my skimmer, decide if im running reactors or not then worry about the return pump. Start with sizing the first chamber with your skimmer. Then find a return pump that will be close to what it processes. Account for your return chamber size based on the pump and if your running an ato then make the rest your refugium. Thats how I do it.

corrosionjerry
01-31-2011, 12:46 AM
Thats a ton of flow for a small sump. Your skimmer definately wont process anywhere near that and your refugium will be more like a typhoon. I know people like to size return pumps to display tanks for some odd reason but it really does make more sense to size em to your sump and let the power heads in the display do what they are designed for. I always pick my skimmer, decide if im running reactors or not then worry about the return pump. Start with sizing the first chamber with your skimmer. Then find a return pump that will be close to what it processes. Account for your return chamber size based on the pump and if your running an ato then make the rest your refugium. Thats how I do it.

Ok.. I think I see what you meen... so If I use a return pump half of what I intended / lets say something like four or five hundred per hour or what ever the rating of the skimmer is in the inflow part of the sump things will be less turbulant in the Refugium etc. and rely on the Power heads for flow in the tank... is that correct?

monocus
01-31-2011, 01:44 PM
check out melv's reef on building a sump