PDA

View Full Version : How to clean Bio Balls

Midway
01-30-2011, 08:15 AM
Hey, i'm looking for some advice on how yo clean these bio balls. I have bunch of them in my sump, i never had them before so this is my first time cleaning them. Some vinegar ok?

fishytime
01-30-2011, 03:27 PM
Ok.....first step is to remove them from the sump.....second step is to put them in the garbage:lol:......kidding aside, a toothbrush (without the vinegar) would probably do the trick

Aquattro
01-30-2011, 04:13 PM
Ok.....first step is to remove them from the sump.....second step is to put them in the garbage:lol:......kidding aside

Who's kidding?? Pretty sound advice to me :)

The Codfather
01-30-2011, 04:21 PM
Im waiting for a post from Brett. He must be slacking, I would expect an answer from him by now.

Midway
01-30-2011, 04:29 PM
Are you serious guys?? They don't do anything for my system?? I started to use them because a friend told me they would help to take some **** out my system.

Manny

fishoholic
01-30-2011, 04:55 PM
Im waiting for a post from Brett. He must be slacking, I would expect an answer from him by now.

:lol: this could get interesting

Are you serious guys?? They don't do anything for my system?? I started to use them because a friend told me they would help to take some **** out my system.

Manny

Kidding aside all they do is add a build up of nitrates to your system, which isn't a good thing at all. So yes in a saltwater system they are much better in your garbage then in your sump.

golf nut
01-30-2011, 08:45 PM
I use bio balls, it really helps my golf game, I try to chip them into baskets placed strategically around the living room.

Snappy
01-30-2011, 10:13 PM
Bio balls are old technology that are now known to cause issues down the road. They started using them to create extra surface area for bacteria to grow that will help as a filter. It is now known that you are better off with just good quality live rock which does the same thing without the issues.

Palmer
01-30-2011, 10:21 PM
I am a newb still so take what I say with a grain of salt... I know in fish farming applications where there are lots of fish in a small area (even saltwater) the wet dry (bio balls/screens etc) principles are still considered a useful and practical form of biological filtration.

As a new reefer my take on it is that a small reef tank has significantly different requirements and often is "smaller" so less tolerance for waste buildup if your filter media gets gooey.

I still use bio balls for my fresh water cichlid setup and if I ever do a fowler I will probably still use them in addition to live rock. Even in my Cichlid tank I rinse the media on occasion to take out detridice that the floss doesnt catch.

FWIW

Palmer

Aquattro
01-30-2011, 10:24 PM
Bio balls are old technology that are now known to cause issues down the road. They started using them to create extra surface area for bacteria to grow that will help as a filter. It is now known that you are better off with just good quality live rock which does the same thing without the issues.

Greg, thanks for a real answer :)

Aquattro
01-30-2011, 10:25 PM
I am a newb still so take what I say with a grain of salt... I know in fish farming applications where there are lots of fish in a small area (even saltwater) the wet dry (bio balls/screens etc) principles are still considered a useful and practical form of biological filtration.

Palmer

This is absolutely true for fish farming, or even a heavily stock fish tank. But a reef is less tolerant to the nitrate produced by these, where fish basically don't care (within reason).
They'll also do nothing (good) for any algae issues you might have.

Palmer
01-30-2011, 10:31 PM
This is absolutely true for fish farming, or even a heavily stock fish tank. But a reef is less tolerant to the nitrate produced by these, where fish basically don't care (within reason).
They'll also do nothing (good) for any algae issues you might have.

"As a new reefer my take on it is that a small reef tank has significantly different requirements and often is "smaller" so less tolerance for waste buildup if your filter media gets gooey."

Right thats why I also dont use them in my reef tank either. Theoretically speaking if you could keep the crap out of the media with mechanical filtration I do not think it would be an issue but for the hobbyist its just not practical.

Palmer

Midway
01-31-2011, 11:27 PM
Thanks very much for all the advices guys!!! Well those bio-balls are going in my garage now...lol

Manny