PDA

View Full Version : online Zoa shopping

Starry
01-29-2011, 06:51 AM
Where is a good site to buy Zaos from?

reefwars
01-29-2011, 06:55 AM
Where is a good site to buy Zaos from?

depends on what your looking for but most of the vendors on here sell zoas and ship all over canada:)cheers

daniella3d
01-29-2011, 03:08 PM
Something nice, colorfull and rare?

depends on what your looking for but most of the vendors on here sell zoas and ship all over canada:)cheers

reefwars
01-29-2011, 03:13 PM
wickedfrgas usually has some rare zoas same with oceanic corals ive never ordered from either but i know lots who have and have had nothing but good things to say.if you send oc a list of what your looing for they can usually track it down with a little time:)

bkelly
01-29-2011, 03:22 PM
bayside corals has some nice stuff

reefwars
01-29-2011, 03:23 PM
bayside corals has some nice stuff

+1 another that usually carrys some nice ones or hard to find:)

The Grizz
01-29-2011, 03:37 PM
Don't forget about the new Red Coral Online Store for zoas and more.

freezetyle
01-29-2011, 04:35 PM
wickedfrgas usually has some rare zoas same with oceanic corals ive never ordered from either but i know lots who have and have had nothing but good things to say.if you send oc a list of what your looing for they can usually track it down with a little time:)

i havent been able to get onto the wickedfrags website for a while now

reefwars
01-29-2011, 04:46 PM
not sure whats on the go with their website its been gone for a long time or at least ive never been able to find it for a good while but hes on canreef posting, can pm him from here im sure.:)

xtreme
01-29-2011, 04:49 PM
Wicked frags is shut down right now. Not sure if Dave will be starting the business up again, he moved recently and I don't know if he is setting up a tank again.

daniella3d
01-29-2011, 05:50 PM
Somebody here in Quebec (trois-rivieres) just placed an order with Fragalot. I don't know if they will ever receive it but darn fragalot have some really nice zoa.

toytech
01-29-2011, 06:29 PM
I made an order from fragalot recently , and honestly wasnt worth my time . I got some realy nice zoas , and some frags not so nice . Basically i didnt get most of what i ordered just a random mix so its kinda hit and miss.I live close to oceanic corals and paul the owner is great to deal with , he dosent update his site much but if you contact him im sure he can find what you want.

daniella3d
01-29-2011, 11:21 PM
Ok but his coral are quite expensive. I would rather find a place like fragagot for nice zoanthids for not too expensive. I got some really nice Eye of Rae at fragalot, for 10$ and some other nice ones.

I made an order from fragalot recently , and honestly wasnt worth my time . I got some realy nice zoas , and some frags not so nice . Basically i didnt get most of what i ordered just a random mix so its kinda hit and miss.I live close to oceanic corals and paul the owner is great to deal with , he dosent update his site much but if you contact him im sure he can find what you want.

The Grizz
01-29-2011, 11:33 PM
I have heard it is a hit or miss with fragalot but I have been thinking of contacting them and putting in an order as well. I think you have to call and be very firm with your order, no substitution and no crap frags.

freezetyle
01-30-2011, 12:04 AM
I am sure i can speak for more than just myself here.

NEVER ORDER FROM FRAGALOT!!!!! I have had nothing but bad experiences ordering from him. i was lucky and out of 5 zoa frags I purchased only one died, but the other four weren't even the ones i ordered. I know many others have had similar experiences. so unless your picking them up from him and you can see the product. i would avoid it at all costs

don.ald
01-30-2011, 01:46 AM
some of my favs came from fragalot :)
just remember if your paying $10 for a frag your going to get a $10 frag--not ultra corals.

The Grizz
01-30-2011, 01:50 AM
This is somewhat a true statement but you can go to Red Coral and get some really sweet $10 zoa frags. I have got several from Kevin, Doug & Carmen in Calgary and Steve in Edmonton. There customer service is premo.

don.ald
01-30-2011, 01:52 AM
This is somewhat a true statement but you can go to Red Coral and get some really sweet $10 zoa frags. I have got several from Kevin, Doug & Carmen in Calgary and Steve in Edmonton. There customer service is premo.

yep are they online?
anoter great online supplier for zoas is www.oceansdirect.ca

reefwars
01-30-2011, 01:58 AM
some of my favs came from fragalot :)
just remember if your paying $10 for a frag your going to get a $10 frag--not ultra corals.

i dont agree with that at all if you go through the trouble of picking out a certain coral you should get that coral and get it for the price advertised.

them sending you random picks of not what you ordered is a horrible way to do business....if you went to the store and picked out a frag in person and he grabbed the one on the side of it im sure you would speak up and what if he said you have no say, you get what you get... you get what he pics???

price doesnt matter your right its only $10 sure but what if every business did that what if the restaurant you went to came to you with chicken instead of steak and their excuse was well their both $10.....

thats not how business is done and im also on the train as id never ever ever order from them theres countless storys of cold and dead corals to stuff that wasnt even close to what they ordered i even heard of someone who got their order.....just water??? paid for a box of weight...sad

be warned theres plenty of good online stores besides these guys.

kelly at the reefshoppe also carrys some nice zoas:)

don.ald
01-30-2011, 02:01 AM
well my experience with fragalot is i always got what i ordered. no compalints here. i didnt know he even sold chicken or steak :mrgreen:

reefwars
01-30-2011, 02:10 AM
well my experience with fragalot is i always got what i ordered. no compalints here. i didnt know he even sold chicken or steak :mrgreen:

bahaha .....could be a side business:)

well maybe he needs more sales like to your self and he can get a good rep going.

ill say one thing though first time i ever ordered off red coral i was talking to kevin and told him to send me ten frags and to surprise me i was curious on what i would get...he could have sent me a load of sand polyps, common green,browns,common buttons.......but he didnt he sent me ten of the nicest ones they had including fire and ice ,darth mauls and he did this to make sure id be back(good move on his hehalf lol)

nothing but good things to say about red coral their zoas change all the time so its always worth checking in and i find rare ones there all the time alot of times before they know it lol well maybe not doug hes all over that like a bucket of chicken at oprahs lol:):)

don.ald
01-30-2011, 02:17 AM
nothing but good things to say about red coral

your not alone!!

The Grizz
01-30-2011, 02:23 AM
RC is the bomb baby, I do agree with you too Denny. You should get what you want and pay for.

The Grizz
01-30-2011, 02:32 AM
Well I just checked out www.oceansdirect.ca.........OMFG!!!!

A 4-5" maxima clam for $39.99 & a 2" for $25, 10-15 polyp zoa frags for $10.

Are they serious, flat rate shipping in Canada of $35. This could be a promising site.

don.ald
01-30-2011, 02:33 AM
Wicked frags is shut down right now. Not sure if Dave will be starting the business up again, he moved recently and I don't know if he is setting up a tank again.

+1
oceanic corals is where to go in BC
just pm paul
he will have something you like!

reefwars
01-30-2011, 02:36 AM
RC is the bomb baby, I do agree with you too Denny. You should get what you want and pay for.

well if its pictured and you specifically ask for it then thats what you should get if substituions are to be made a photo should be sent for approval.

even with that aside theres some real bad shipping storys you can read everywhere about them.

if you live in the city its alot better chance of finding zoas locally as people have been collecting them forever and if you have patience and get to know people they pop their heads up.

i still say stick with the vendors you see here they are from all over canada and they always have alot more then whats on their site, and if you just call them or email them and tell them exactly what your looking for and how much you can spend most are more then willing to help you out knowing that you will order again someday.when it comes to selling corals at $35/polyp(not uncommon) repeat business is exactly what they want so its your own choice whether or not you want it...its alllllll hype anyways;)

reefwars
01-30-2011, 02:41 AM
Well I just checked out www.oceansdirect.ca.........OMFG (http://www.oceansdirect.ca.........OMFG)!!!!

Are they serious, flat rate shipping in Canada of $35. This could be a promising site.

greg all those zoas can be found around town and def in calgary, id say mini colonys for just a little more.......just post an ad looking for zoas alot of times people dont decide to sell them untill they see a looking for ad.alot of times people just dont want to place for sale ads and wait to see a looking for ad;)

same story for the clams post a loking for ad and same rules apply someone is thinking about something nice they want they all of a sudden see your ad and decide ...hell i could sell one of my nice clams..;)

The Grizz
01-30-2011, 03:12 AM
greg all those zoas can be found around town and def in calgary, id say mini colonys for just a little more.......just post an ad looking for zoas alot of times people dont decide to sell them untill they see a looking for ad.alot of times people just dont want to place for sale ads and wait to see a looking for ad;)

same story for the clams post a loking for ad and same rules apply someone is thinking about something nice they want they all of a sudden see your ad and decide ...hell i could sell one of my nice clams..;)

Oh I know Denny, but with the rising cost of gas unless I am going to one of the cities to make some money & able to charge out my fuel I really don't get there that often. And lately it seem if I am selling something & someone from the big cities wants it, they want it delivered for free. Any thing I have ever bought from the cities used I have always picked up.

So you can see if I was to order 1 clam for $40 & 6 $10 frags + $35 shipping to my door that is almost the cost of my fuel alone.

daniella3d
01-30-2011, 04:18 AM
from my order at fragalot I thought one was not what I had ordered. I had ordered the Eye of Rae but what I received was just plain brown. I really thought it was something else but after a few months of good metal halide light at 14k the zoanthids finaly turned to be guess what? Eye of Rae!

here is a pic, one of my favorite and it was a 10$ frag from fragalot. So what I am wondering is are you sure what you ordered is not the right thing? Because zoanthids morph color rather drasticaly with different type of light.

http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/yy143/daniella3ds/_MG_2392.jpg?t=1296364639

i was lucky and out of 5 zoa frags I purchased only one died, but the other four weren't even the ones i ordered.

The Grizz
01-30-2011, 04:27 AM
from my order at fragalot I thought one was not what I had ordered. I had ordered the Eye of Rae but what I received was just plain brown. I really thought it was something else but after a few months of good metal halide light at 14k the zoanthids finaly turned to be guess what? Eye of Rae!

here is a pic, one of my favorite and it was a 10$ frag from fragalot. So what I am wondering is are you sure what you ordered is not the right thing? Because zoanthids morph color rather drasticaly with different type of light.

http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/yy143/daniella3ds/_MG_2392.jpg?t=1296364639

WOW those are sweet for sure, very nice color.

freezetyle
01-30-2011, 04:53 AM

]

I am sure there are exceptions to my experience. but after being burned by him and even just googling fragalot.ca you will find many many others who have had the same. He does have some sweet things listed on his site, but for me it is not worth the risk

The Grizz
01-30-2011, 05:25 AM
It is true there are lots of negative experiences out there but you don't always get good reviews from buyers because they are happy and don't think they should put it out there. But if it's a bad review everyone hears about it over and over and over. That is why it is nessisary for ALL of us as consumers to give all reviews good or bad so everyone is informed.

This is just my opinion and in no way trying to offend anyone but as a business owner in want to know what my customers think of my services and if they are not happy or there is problem I fix it and make it right regardless of the cost to me.

But I could rant on this issue for a long time and really start to sound like a total jerk so I will shut-up now.:biggrin:

daniella3d
01-30-2011, 12:34 PM
I know they are pretty bad for ordering online and I even know someone who had an appointment, went there, and he could not get in because the owner kept the door shut!

Pretty bad business for sure. I was just suggesting that not to give up on the zoanthids yet as they may be the right ones just not colored up yet. Mine took many months to turn out how they should.

IN my order they switched thing without warning. I ordered blue ricordea and got yellow, ordered pink tip hammer and got frogspawn. So yes that was not what I ordered for 2 items. Problem is, they did not ask before switching things.

But...BUT...who else has the same huge and beautiful selection of zoanthids for so cheap? nobody.

I am sure there are exceptions to my experience. but after being burned by him and even just googling fragalot.ca you will find many many others who have had the same. He does have some sweet things listed on his site, but for me it is not worth the risk

toytech
01-30-2011, 08:07 PM
If you order somehting and you dont get it , then its not realy a matter of selection he could have 80 different pictures and just send everyone some green ones cuz thats all hes got and he just switches ones out.

ScubaSteve
01-31-2011, 12:03 AM
As much as I love to bash fragalot (which I really, really do) this doesn't answer the guy's question: where to buy zoos online.

I recommend Neptunes Cove in the states. The guy has more zoos than you could shake a stick at and is awesome to deal with. Super easy to work with.

freezetyle
01-31-2011, 12:10 AM
bayside has some sweet colonies right now too. im sure you could purchase one of those and frag it up to disperse some to the rest of the kelowna/okanagan people

daniella3d
01-31-2011, 12:22 AM
expensive.

bayside has some sweet colonies right now too. im sure you could purchase one of those and frag it up to disperse some to the rest of the kelowna/okanagan people

freezetyle
01-31-2011, 01:38 AM
expensive.

as a whole yes. but having lived in kelowna there prices are better/on par with what is available locally but with much better selection. and if you frag it up you may break even or come close too.

reefwars
01-31-2011, 03:24 AM
As much as I love to bash fragalot (which I really, really do) this doesn't answer the guy's question: where to buy zoos online.

I recommend Neptunes Cove in the states. The guy has more zoos than you could shake a stick at and is awesome to deal with. Super easy to work with.

Too bad it's soooo pricey they do have the best selection though I've wanted to order from there as soon as I heard about it I was even showing a friend today ....40/head is expensiveeeee lol

daniella3d
01-31-2011, 03:50 AM
does he ship to Canada?

as a whole yes. but having lived in kelowna there prices are better/on par with what is available locally but with much better selection. and if you frag it up you may break even or come close too.

Starry
01-31-2011, 08:58 AM

Did you ever get your shipping problems resolved with Neptunes Cove? I love the zoas on that site, but texas is along way away, especialy this time of year. To make it worth while would need a large group order. I'd prefer to stay within Canada, if possible, but that maybe an option in the future.

And thanks everyone else for thier input, didnt think such a small question would turn into a multipage thread.

freezetyle
01-31-2011, 03:28 PM
does he ship to Canada?

http://www.baysidecorals.com/store/

they are a sponsor out of sask

Borderjumper
01-31-2011, 03:58 PM
yep are they online?
anoter great online supplier for zoas is www.oceansdirect.ca

I am considering placing an order for some zoa frags.. Anyone in Victoria want to split shipping?

ScubaSteve
01-31-2011, 04:51 PM
Did you ever get your shipping problems resolved with Neptunes Cove? I love the zoas on that site, but texas is along way away, especialy this time of year. To make it worth while would need a large group order. I'd prefer to stay within Canada, if possible, but that maybe an option in the future.

And thanks everyone else for thier input, didnt think such a small question would turn into a multipage thread.

Oh, no problems sorting stuff out. It was UPS's f-up (some retard lost the paper work and decided to hold a box marked 'live' in a warehouse until the paperwork was figured out instead of, you know, telling us there was an issue).

Bill was a champ and replaced our order at no cost and even threw in some bonuses. AND he did all this in the week following his mother's passing. So the guy really goes above and beyond.

I don't shy away from buying from the US any more (except for some of the stupid prices they pay for somethings). I only recommend waiting until March before buying from there (or anywhere for that matter) or just request extra heat packs.

Reef-Geek
01-31-2011, 11:25 PM
Well I just checked out www.oceansdirect.ca.........OMFG!!!!

has anyone tried to order from OceansDirect? their price sounds too good to be true.

2pts
01-31-2011, 11:49 PM
has anyone tried to order from OceansDirect? their price sounds too good to be true.
I placed an order of a bunch of zoas and a hippo tang. He emailed me 2 days later that he could not ship his hippo tangs (ich had started showing). I cancelled my order as the hippo tang was a big part of it.

Nebthet wrote this on Aug 26th 2010 about them...

"Ocean's Direct is associated with the store in Toronto called North American Fish Breeders.
Those of us from Ontario would be more familiar with it than most of you guys out in the west.

I can at least vouch that there coral frags are good. I got my acans from them and they are beautiful and growing very well in my system.
Shipping to my place was great. But I live in Ontario, so I cannot vouch for how there shipping to your area may be.

I will let you know though, that if they run out of stock for an item that you order, they may not tell you until after they ship it, that they have substituted it with something else that is similar to other things you ordered. For example on my last order, two zoas frags were not available but they substituted them with a nice acan frag instead which equaled to more than the cost of the zoas and in the same color range the zoas were. So I was happy.

Their communication is also fairly decent via email though the turn around may be a day."

The Grizz
02-01-2011, 12:31 AM

I have contacted them to see how up to date there web site is. It will be getting an update this week & it is best to contact them to see if they have what you want in stock.

Nebthet
02-01-2011, 12:46 AM
I placed an order of a bunch of zoas and a hippo tang. He emailed me 2 days later that he could not ship his hippo tangs (ich had started showing). I cancelled my order as the hippo tang was a big part of it.

Nebthet wrote this on Aug 26th 2010 about them...

"Ocean's Direct is associated with the store in Toronto called North American Fish Breeders.
Those of us from Ontario would be more familiar with it than most of you guys out in the west.

I can at least vouch that there coral frags are good. I got my acans from them and they are beautiful and growing very well in my system.
Shipping to my place was great. But I live in Ontario, so I cannot vouch for how there shipping to your area may be.

I will let you know though, that if they run out of stock for an item that you order, they may not tell you until after they ship it, that they have substituted it with something else that is similar to other things you ordered. For example on my last order, two zoas frags were not available but they substituted them with a nice acan frag instead which equaled to more than the cost of the zoas and in the same color range the zoas were. So I was happy.

Their communication is also fairly decent via email though the turn around may be a day."

Wow. you did some searching to find that.. LOL... and yes I still vouch for their frags, they are all really good and usually you end up with more than the minimum.
Any issues with them and they fix it up as well if they sent you the wrong one and you were not happy with it.

What I would suggest, if a bunch of you are interested in ordering.. send them an email and ask them to update their frags page and inverts page. They have a lot more at their store location than what they actually put on their website, for example, they have cerith snail for $1 in the store, electric blue hermits for $3, etc plus many many different types of frags not listed. Plus they haven't updated their frags page for a couple of months now and they should have new stuff in.

I sent them an email a couple of days ago to ask them to update, and if a couple other people who are interested in ordering from them do that too, you will have more to choose from.