PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade not ready yet and DT skimmer quit!

shootingstar
01-28-2011, 07:10 PM
Hi all,
We have started the process for an upgrade to a 6 ft tank, unfortunately we are a few months away from having it online. I decided that once the new tank is up and running I certainly don't want to take it down unless we move so we might as well replace the floor before setting up the new system. Then of course the hubby decided that a basement sump/mechanical was the way to go and well you all know how these things just grow and grow.

Current dilema is the current system. It is a 60 gal cube, the Marineland system that came with a woefully inadequate sump cleverly designed to hold only their skimmer and nothing else. I had already decided that this system was going to get a complete and proper overhaul (new sump/skimmer/plumbing) once everyone was moved to the new system.

Problem is the skimmer died. I can't find any other skimmer that will fit in such a small footprint and low water depth and I know that even if I could buying it seems silly as it will only see a few months of use.

Have been trying to stay ahead with water changes but of course nitrates and GHA are increasing.

Looking for suggestions.......wondering if I could try Prodibio CLEAN, am a little worried about using it without a skimmer

thoughts/ suggestions?

Background - System has been up and running for quite a while, was always stable and healthy, reason for the upgrade was everything grew too well and we are seriously out of room. No SPS, few softy's & LPS. Bioload was low till they grew too big for current system given it is now skimmerless.

Nitrate currently sitting 15-20 since skimmer died. Meaning it will have crept up to 20 and after water change drops.

Will the Bio CLEAN in conjuction with the increased water changes help me manage the Nitrates until we can get the new tank ready?

Can BioCLEAN given that it is a liquid packaged in glass vials be shipped in the winter?? or will the vials freeze and shatter??

Myka
01-29-2011, 01:34 AM
What fish do you have in there? The corals won't significantly add to bioload.

shootingstar
01-29-2011, 02:21 PM
What fish do you have in there? The corals won't significantly add to bioload.

Hi Myka,

Fish:
Sailfin Tang - small
Coral Beauty Dwarf Angel
Tomato clown in a H. Crispa
Harlequin goby
Red Fire Fish
2 x cromis

Inverts:
2 x skunk cleaner shrimp
Coral Banded shrimp
Black Brittle Star
Tuxedo Urchin
assorted snails (Bumblebee, Cerith, Nassarius, Margarita,turbo)
crabs, blue and red leg

Green Hammer
Aussie Elegance
pipe organ
assorted zoas and mushrooms
chalice

It's crowded, I know, hence the upgrade to a much larger tank.
Mostly driven by the tangs need for space down the road and the huge anemone.

Myka
01-29-2011, 02:41 PM
I hope you're planning a 180 or 230 for the Sailfin! :D

What was nitrate at while skimmer was running? I think if you're getting nitrate creep that bad already that you should try to look for a used skimmer to put on the tank. Could you put a hang-on skimmer on the side or back of the tank (instead of in-sump)? If so, try to find a Deltec hang-on skimmer since they hold their price well (they are excellent skimmers) and will be easy to re-sell when you have the big tank set up.

I tried Googling to see what you're dealing with, and I can't find any pictures of the sump. Could you post a link maybe? Or at least the dimensions of the skimmer chamber? SWC Cone skimmers have a really small footprint because of their internal pump, and they are reasonably priced.

MitchM
01-29-2011, 02:51 PM
You could buy the skimmer for the 6' tank now and plumb it in if you could remove the old broken skimmer to make room for a pump ....?
Maybe add a carbon reactor too.
Maybe supplement your existing sump with a rubbermaid tub for now?

pyke
01-29-2011, 03:28 PM
You could buy the skimmer for the 6' tank now and plumb it in if you could remove the old broken skimmer to make room for a pump ....?

+1 on Mitch's idea

you may want to look at a Tunze DOC Skimmer 9011 as it is quite compact for a small sump and will work for 60G

Equipment failing = opportunity for and Upgrade:mrgreen:

Palmer
01-29-2011, 03:48 PM
With space being an issue this may not be any better of a solution but you could look into an algal scrubber to remove nitrates instead of a skimmer. They of course require more work and are a bit unsightly IMO if not hidden well. Also if you have access to mangroves I think they are supposed to remove nitrates. Could throw some of those in your sump with a light if you dont have one...

FWIW I dont use any of the above options just food for thought as I see others are using them.

shootingstar
01-29-2011, 04:11 PM
I hope you're planning a 180 or 230 for the Sailfin! :D

What was nitrate at while skimmer was running? I think if you're getting nitrate creep that bad already that you should try to look for a used skimmer to put on the tank. Could you put a hang-on skimmer on the side or back of the tank (instead of in-sump)? If so, try to find a Deltec hang-on skimmer since they hold their price well (they are excellent skimmers) and will be easy to re-sell when you have the big tank set up.

I tried Googling to see what you're dealing with, and I can't find any pictures of the sump. Could you post a link maybe? Or at least the dimensions of the skimmer chamber? SWC Cone skimmers have a really small footprint because of their internal pump, and they are reasonably priced.

The new tank is only 135gal but is at least a 6' tank. As much as I am crazy for my critters I am not willing to reinforce the floor, that's a whole new level of crazy...lol. I see this as the way to give the tang some decent swimming room without re-building the whole frikken house for one fish. the house is a 4 level split with the tank on (of course) the top level.

Basement sump (size still to be determined but probably in the 50 gal range)

Nitrate ran 5-10ppm previously when the lame skimmer i had was sort-of working.

Here is a link to the set up I have
http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=21463

Mine is the 60 gal 2x2x2 with the pro lighting.

The sump is super tiny ( there is a link in the above link to see just the sump) and it slides into the cabinet from the back so I can't change the sump right now without taking the whole system down.

Marineland cleverly designed the sump so that only their skimmer will fit. I had no choice but to use it but it never performed even adequately in my opinion and failed twice in just the first year. I'm not willing to buy another one.

I have looked at what i think is close to every skimmer out there and can't find a solution.....well maybe just maybe the MRC O.F. 100...but having trouble getting accurate info on the foot print.

All I have to work with is 6" x 4".....because of the sump design.

which is why I was trying to find an alternate solution to carry us a few months. when we get the big tank set up this system will get a major overhaul to eliminate these design issues.

shootingstar
01-29-2011, 04:18 PM

Mitch,
I am looking at either a Vertex or an SWC for the new tank...neither will fit in the existing sump.

Humm, you got me thinking with the rubbermaid idea, never thought of that really. would have to figure out how the plumbing would work but it might just be the best way to go and I could order the new skimmer now.

any suggestions on how to plumb?

shootingstar
01-29-2011, 04:22 PM
+1 on Mitch's idea

you may want to look at a Tunze DOC Skimmer 9011 as it is quite compact for a small sump and will work for 60G

Equipment failing = opportunity for and Upgrade:mrgreen:

Pyke,

I don't think the tunze will fit, unless it's external to the sump somehow.

I agree an equipment failure is an opportunity for sure, it's just we are already in the process for an upgrade to a larger system and didn't want to buy a skimmer that was only going to see a few months of use. That and the fact that the only skimmer that will fit is no good.

shootingstar
01-29-2011, 04:29 PM
With space being an issue this may not be any better of a solution but you could look into an algal scrubber to remove nitrates instead of a skimmer. They of course require more work and are a bit unsightly IMO if not hidden well. Also if you have access to mangroves I think they are supposed to remove nitrates. Could throw some of those in your sump with a light if you dont have one...

FWIW I dont use any of the above options just food for thought as I see others are using them.

Hubby will never go for a scrubber in plain sight in the living room.... mind you I am waiting on him and his welder to get the new stand built so might be a good way to speed up progress :lol: and move the upgrade along.

In regards to mangroves .... and most of the things that most salt water enthusiasts take for granted.....I am in "reef-beria" no access to pretty much anything unless it is mail-order. Same for "buying used" suggestions. I see all kinds of stuff all the time for sale on the forums and 99% of the sellers won't ship so it's just not an option.

MitchM
01-29-2011, 04:32 PM
Your nutrients are going to accumulate regardless if all you do is try to replace that skimmer.
I would cut the supply and return pipes, clamp on some flexible hose and set up a rubbermaid tub as a new sump, totally bypassing that existing tiny sump.
Trying to move a tank with nutrient and GHA issues will cause a lot of headaches when you move up to your next larger tank.

shootingstar
01-29-2011, 05:06 PM
Your nutrients are going to accumulate regardless if all you do is try to replace that skimmer.
I would cut the supply and return pipes, clamp on some flexible hose and set up a rubbermaid tub as a new sump, totally bypassing that existing tiny sump.
Trying to move a tank with nutrient and GHA issues will cause a lot of headaches when you move up to your next larger tank.

Mitch,
This might be the best solution, I could buy the new skimmer now and set it up in a rubbermaid tub. Although I know lots of people use them I thought they were best avoided as they are not food grade plastic ?

Given this as a potential game plan does anyone here have thoughts/recommendations on the skimmer?

Assumming a total water volume of 165 - 185 I am considering:

Vertex IN-180 or IN-250
or
SWC Xtreme 200

comments on any of the above 3 or perhaps an alternate would be much appreciated.

MitchM
01-29-2011, 05:17 PM
Mitch,
This might be the best solution, I could buy the new skimmer now and set it up in a rubbermaid tub. Although I know lots of people use them I thought they were best avoided as they are not food grade plastic ?

I've only seen information regarding the rubbermaid Brute garbage cans that show they have plasticizers in them that can be harmful to invertebrates.
It might be a better idea to find a substitute for a cheap sump that would be food safe. I've never heard anything bad about the plain rubbermaid containers.
I'm not even sure what the plasticizers are used for. They may be used to keep the garbage can flexible in cold weather, which wouldn't be the intended use for the rubbermaid tubs. (just a guess)

pyke
01-30-2011, 03:12 PM
Pyke,

I don't think the tunze will fit, unless it's external to the sump somehow.

I agree an equipment failure is an opportunity for sure, it's just we are already in the process for an upgrade to a larger system and didn't want to buy a skimmer that was only going to see a few months of use. That and the fact that the only skimmer that will fit is no good.

There is a guy on here selling food grade plastic tanks if in doubt, I have a 60G food grade tank that we use for mixing. One Idea might be to replace the existing sump with a food grade tank and use it for mixing after your done using it as a sump.

also if your looking for a new sump PM me, I know someone that is parting out a few.

shootingstar
01-30-2011, 03:55 PM
Thanks Pyke,

pm sent