PDA

View Full Version : Please Help with my snails and corals

kenman999
01-28-2011, 06:02 AM
Recently I have added a torch coral, xenia and 2 giant turbo snails to my 60 gallon tank. Everything was dripped for 3 hours before I place them into my tank. Everything was open and alive within the 3 hours. However as soon as I place my corals and snails into the tank, the torch and xenia changed to a dull blue colour and the torch started to spit out some white mucus. The snail went inside its shell not moving at all. After 24 hours the snail was still in the same spot. I picked it up and it smells fine. The torch was still shrunk and dull blue. After 2 days the snail died and my xenia died too.

My tank is 4 months old with 50lb of liverock with livesand

water parameter(I use RO water)
ph-8.4
nitrite-0
nitrate-5
ammonia-0
copper-0
calcium-420
phosphate-0
salinity-1.024( with instant ocean salt, tested by a refractometer)
kH-9
temp-78

I use APi test kit and I have brought my water to two LFS and both results are the same.

I have 6 t5 blub, 4 day light and 2 aqua blue+ turned on 8 hours a day.

Torch on my sand bed with moderate water flow.

Fishes- 2 clownfish, 1 firefish, 1 yellow tang, 1 scooter blenny, 2 cleaner shrimps. All doing perfectly fine for 3 months.

Why are all the coral and snails dying? Please HELP Thank You.

hound96
01-28-2011, 06:25 AM
1 hour would have been fine and also did you have a heater in the pail cuz they could have been shocked from the sudden temp change

Lampshade
01-28-2011, 06:28 AM
Are you running carbon at all? seems odd iff everything else is doing fine, but there may be some biological warfare going on that carbon might be able to pick up.

Lampshade
01-28-2011, 06:29 AM
Temp change is a big one too, hound is right with that.

kenman999
01-28-2011, 06:58 AM
I am running carbon in my tank.

When I acclimated my corals, the plastic container was in the tank. So that should solve the temp change?

I bought a poly pad last week and it showed no colour change on the pad either.

reefwars
01-28-2011, 07:02 AM
staying on the topic on acclimation how did you go about the drip process???

kenman999
01-28-2011, 07:06 AM
First I place the corals inside the bag floated it in my DT for 30 minutes. Then I place some water from the bag and coral inside the plastic container and place it in my tank. I got a bucket and placed some DT water in and located it to a high level. I started dripping it at a rate 2 drops per second. When the plastic container was full I threw away half of the water. Repeated for 2 hours, I placed the coral in my DT and threw the water away.

reefwars
01-28-2011, 07:12 AM
First I place the corals inside the bag floated it in my DT for 30 minutes. Then I place some water from the bag and coral inside the plastic container and place it in my tank. I got a bucket and placed some DT water in and located it to a high level. I started dripping it at a rate 2 drops per second. When the plastic container was full I threw away half of the water. Repeated for 2 hours, I placed the coral in my DT and threw the water away.

ok good that what is was getting at lol if you dont have it in your tank then over the few hours it goes cold.

any possibility you have a hitch hiker crab of some sorts or something similar??? maybe search around your tank during night time to see:)

kenman999
01-28-2011, 07:15 AM
i have placed different corals and snails in at different times. I look at my tank all the time at night, I don't think I do have any hitch hiker. The corals and snails looks pretty dead as soon as I put the in the tank.

Binare
01-28-2011, 12:28 PM
Possible the plastic container was used for something else before hand? Did you get em from a store? Or another reefer.... Bag contaminated maybe? Im not familiar with Vancouvers water, here Id have to do some serious work to hit a ph of 8.4.... Are you doing anything to get it that high?

kenman999
01-28-2011, 11:04 PM
the plastic container I bought it from a lfs brand new. my water ph after mix is 8.4 and very steady.

daniella3d
01-29-2011, 01:53 AM
I am not sure I understand what you did. You said the xenia and snail died as soon as you put them in your tank? but it was looking good within the 3 hours? ??

There was obviously a shock in something, and I would suspect alkalinity maybe?

Did you ever had copper in your tank? anything else in there alive?

Recently I have added a torch coral, xenia and 2 giant turbo snails to my 60 gallon tank. Everything was dripped for 3 hours before I place them into my tank. Everything was open and alive within the 3 hours. However as soon as I place my corals and snails into the tank, the torch and xenia changed to a dull blue colour and the torch started to spit out some white mucus. The snail went inside its shell not moving at all. After 24 hours the snail was still in the same spot. I picked it up and it smells fine. The torch was still shrunk and dull blue. After 2 days the snail died and my xenia died too.

My tank is 4 months old with 50lb of liverock with livesand

water parameter(I use RO water)
ph-8.4
nitrite-0
nitrate-5
ammonia-0
copper-0
calcium-420
phosphate-0
salinity-1.024( with instant ocean salt, tested by a refractometer)
kH-9
temp-78

I use APi test kit and I have brought my water to two LFS and both results are the same.

I have 6 t5 blub, 4 day light and 2 aqua blue+ turned on 8 hours a day.

Torch on my sand bed with moderate water flow.

Fishes- 2 clownfish, 1 firefish, 1 yellow tang, 1 scooter blenny, 2 cleaner shrimps. All doing perfectly fine for 3 months.

Why are all the coral and snails dying? Please HELP Thank You.

whatcaneyedo
01-29-2011, 02:08 AM
Have you used any medications in your tank in the time that it has been running? Nitrate of 5 isn't through the roof but it is a little high in my opinion.

kenman999
01-29-2011, 11:42 AM
I didn't put copper or any other meds in my tank. All my fishes and two cleaner shrimps r alive.

kenman999
01-31-2011, 10:47 AM
I placed a poly pad in my filter for a week now. There is no colour change on it at all. No copper or heavy metals i suppose?

One of my friend told me that I don't need a canister filter in a reef tank. Should I remove mine?

I brought my water to a lfs again this week and it showed that my mg is 600. She checked it twice with two different test kit(elso and something else) but my cal and ak level r both steady. 420 and 8kh. I have added mag in hoping to bring it back up. My phosphate-0, copper-0, all other readings r perfect.

All snails and corals r dying in my tank in one/two days. What else can I do now. If there r something so toxic that can kill em in 2 days, why r my shrimps, fishes and hermit crabs doing so well?

Please help.

whatcaneyedo
01-31-2011, 02:20 PM
What do you currently do for water changes? Were the coral and snails that you bought well established and healthy at the store? Overall how much flow do you have in your tank? Do you have a protein skimmer?

I'd remove the canister filter.

kenman999
01-31-2011, 02:38 PM
I change 10% every week. I have a deltec mce300 as my skimmer. I have bought corals and snails from two different store which all look very healthy when in store. My friend also gave me some snails from his tank which were very heathly in his tank.