PDA

View Full Version : calcium hydroxide

dunl
01-28-2011, 12:43 AM
I've done some phoning and found that UFA and Peavey Mart both carry this....has anyone used this, and can you confirm it is pure Ca(OH)2?

dunl
01-29-2011, 01:05 AM
No one?

eli@fijireefrock.com
01-29-2011, 01:24 AM
i have used it in the past.No its not pure they could supply you with spec. sheet on the product.
you could get it from RONA, and most building supplies.
if you are looking for the safer product food grade you could find it at chemical supply stores but you are paying quite the $$$ price for it.

dunl
01-30-2011, 01:29 AM
Thanks Elias. As a science teacher I have access to ordering it, but figured this must be a cheaper alternative. I was lucky enough to find this article while in the parking lot, so I picked up a 20kg bag....$13 and one cent, including taxes. That should do me a while.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/dec2003/chem.htm

CENTRAL ALBERTA REEFERS: Feel free to contact me to come and get some if you wish. I don't mind sharing if you're likewise inclined so we don't all have 20kg bags kicking around our houses. If you feel like donating a frag of shrooms or something in return, that'd be fine and lovely but not necessary. I'm willing to give up some for free. :)

dunl
01-30-2011, 01:37 AM
BTW, the stuff I picked up is :

"High calcium hydrated lime--high calcium quicklime produces a hydrated lime containing generally 72 to 74 percent calcium oxide and 23 to 24 percent chemically combined water."

MMAX
01-30-2011, 03:17 PM
I'd like a little more info on this. It seems strange that something so fragile like a marine tank wouldn't be harmed adding something like that, but if it works, it works I guess. How are you adding it? Reactor or just mixing it up and dumping it in? I've recently ventured into the world of SPS and maybe I'm missing some trace elements somewhere. I have no problem growing birdsnests and monti's but my acro's seem to be lacking something. I'm about to do a 20gal water change today using for the first time H2Ocean salt but would love a bit more info on Ca(OH)2.

dunl
01-30-2011, 03:50 PM
I haven't actually tried it yet, just been researching the past few months about it. I'm going to simply set up a kalkwasser drip bottle, althought I am going to mix it with a small portion of vinegar first (have to find the article that I have tucked away somewhere that explains how that helps to release and free the carbon so that it doesn't start to precipitate the calcium on the bottom of the tank).

There's a current discussion in the Reef section about dosing magnesium, and I'm thinking this might alleviate that issue as well:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72291

Unfortunately, by posting that I have created an infinite internet loop. I hear there is a special place in hell for people like that. :D

MMAX
01-30-2011, 03:55 PM
Yeah, I read that first before I found your post. Let me know how you make out with this when you try it.

dunl
01-31-2011, 01:08 AM
Here's the info listed on the bag:

Neutralizing value as CaCO3 eq. min. (%) 125
Calcium (Ca) min. (%) 51
Calcium Carbonate (CaCO3) max (%) 5
Calcium Hydroxide (Ca(OH)2) min. (%) 95
Magnesium (Mg) min. (%) 0.3
Magnesium Carbonate (MgCO3) min. (%) 0.0
Magnesium oxide (MgO) min. (%) 0.5

dunl
01-31-2011, 01:34 AM