PDA

View Full Version : Help with clownfish nem tank

Beanz
01-27-2011, 10:35 PM
Hey guys so i had a little 10 gallon that i was gonna use for growing sps frags but have torn that tank down and pulled out my 15. i am gonna plumb this tank into my sump on my main tank so the total volume will b like around 70g. so my question is would i b able to keep a nem in the 15 with some clowns and thats all? the light i have is the jbj 70w mh fixture, and i have 2 koirlia nano powerheads and a quietone 1200 conected to a spray bar for the return. just looking for some input on this idea.

Thanks Ian

ponokareefer
01-27-2011, 11:00 PM
You should have enough room for a BTA and enough light. If it does decide to move around at all, it won't have far to go to get to a powerhead though. You might want to consider a larger return pump from the other system and scrap the powerheads. The spray bar should spread the flow out nicely.
The clowns will have enough room in a 15 gallon if it is a smaller type of clown.
Your total system volume of 70 gallons should keep nitrates down as well.

Beanz
01-30-2011, 02:22 AM
Ok thanks for the info, what return would you suggest that is small cause the return area in the sump is unfortunately small. what would b a solution for the powerheads other than new return?? like a box around the powerhead or something? i really looking for a clown that are not overly expensive but something that is not really common but will b happy in this little tank.

Cheers, Ian

ponokareefer
01-30-2011, 02:25 PM
How high does this tank sit in relation to the sump? If your sump is sitting on the ground, how many feet is this tank off the ground? That will help determine how powerful of return pump you will need.
There are a few powerheads that are more safe for anemones. You can buy an attachment to Hagen powerheads that would work pretty good. Here is a link to one of their powerheads:

http://www.hagen.com/canada/english/aquatic/product.cfm?CAT=1&SUBCAT=119&PROD_ID=01005650010101

And here is the attachment I was refering to:

http://www.hagen.com/canada/english/aquatic/product.cfm?CAT=1&SUBCAT=119&PROD_ID=01005750010101

You would just need to make sure you clean the filter regularly or it will cause you problems.

I know Blue World in Edmonton carries a more rare type of occelaris clownfish from a local breeder, that aren't that expensive, but that is quite the trip to make for one pair of clownfish.

Beanz
01-31-2011, 01:36 AM
Ok so looks like i can get a bigger return lol, my sump sprung a leak yesterday night yay NOT hahaha o well just a lil bit of water on the floor. so i will get a bigger tank and maybe get some paneling into it. This time i am gonna put the sump under my desk instead of the stand. This will mean it will b right under the 15 and the height to the 15 is like 3ft what kinda pump/flow would you suggest if this is all im gonna b using for flow. i would like a tank without the clutter and such. and it will hopefully b less or the same price as a new return pump. oooooooooorrrrrrrrrrr is there a diy type cover i could make for the ones i have?

and yea tats a little bit of a drive for me just for some clowns and i really dont think my car will make it hahaha. maybe ill have to convince my parents a trip to the grandparents house is a good idea. lol. maybe i will have to give RC a call and c what they can get in.

Cheers, Ian

ponokareefer
01-31-2011, 05:04 AM
You'll want at least 10 * turnover in your 15 gallon. Make sure that your overflow or whatever it is you are planning on using can handle enough flow back through it to the sump.
The Mag 350, Eheim 1250, Tunze silence, or the KSP 5000 should all work to get that, and you could go with a little stronger pump than each of these if your overflow can handle it.

Beanz
01-31-2011, 05:42 AM
really, the quietone 1200 has 4 less gph than the mag. maybe ill just try that out and maybe try to make a little cover for one of the PHs well i will update this thread as it progresses.

Cheers and thanks for the help, Ian