PDA

View Full Version : Drilled or External Overflow?

bigbadbrent
01-27-2011, 05:16 PM
Looking for some thoughts on having a pre-drilled tank is a better option then having the external overflow. If i have it pre-drilled, im committed to having a sump at startup, however if i go with an external i can add a sump later?

Any opinions either way?

Thanks

Brent

hound96
01-27-2011, 05:23 PM
definitely drilled it is a safer way to go less chance of flooding

Aquattro
01-27-2011, 05:23 PM
I can't think of a good reason to not have a sump, so I'd go drilled.

RezReef
01-27-2011, 05:28 PM
Go with a drilled tank...I have a 55 gal. Not drilled...more equipment than rock...go with the sump less hastle in the long run...my new 120 gal. Is drilled with 90 gal. Sump

FishyFishy!
01-27-2011, 05:44 PM
External overflows are a hassle. Drilled is the only way to go if you have the option.

Lampshade
01-27-2011, 05:51 PM
Go drilled even if you are not planning on using it right away, just plug the overflow. External will end up costing more in the long run. Go for a sump off the start, you'll have WAY more options and stuff will be cheaper. Even if it's a rubbermaid tub it'll still work, i've done this for emergancy sump's before.

gobytron
01-27-2011, 06:42 PM
Been using the same external overflow for 6 years no.
has never lost siphon and has never caused a flood.

Anyone who thinks that drilled tanks carry any real benefits either have never used a good quality external overflow or they simply did not know how to set it up properly.

It takes up significantly less real estate, is WAY easier to control and clean and you have so many options for placement plus you can always move it when neccessary.

GMGQ
01-27-2011, 07:02 PM
Drilled = 100% flood safe
External Overflow = Not 100% flood safe

Valid arguments for both, they both can fail if clogged obviously.

But the External Overflow can also fail if it loses it's syphon when trying to restart after a power outtage.

I regret having an external overflow, it's a constant fear of flooding (happened a few times). I wont make that mistake for the next tank.

Regarding the sump, you would want a sump from the start. That's where you keep all the equipment (protein skimmer, heater, filter socks, media reactor, maybe a section for chaeto, etc.).

gobytron
01-27-2011, 07:07 PM
Drilled = 100% flood safe
External Overflow = Not 100% flood safe

Valid arguments for both, they both can fail if clogged obviously.

But the External Overflow can also fail if it loses it's syphon when trying to restart after a power outtage.

I regret having an external overflow, it's a constant fear of flooding (happened a few times). I wont make that mistake for the next tank.

Regarding the sump, you would want a sump from the start. That's where you keep all the equipment (protein skimmer, heater, filter socks, media reactor, maybe a section for chaeto, etc.).

LOL...
My friend, I live in no such fear.
You must have one of those CPR units...lol
And you realize you just stated that neither format is actually 100% flood proof right?

Go with a Life Reef or similar.

Again, 6 years, no breaks in siphon, no floods and probably 100 power outages .

GMGQ
01-27-2011, 07:16 PM
Lucky you for sure.

But for a new guy starting out, clean slate, given these 2 options -- the odds are heavily against you for suggesting an external overflow.

It's pretty much impossible for a drilled overflow to fail. It's purely run on gravity. An external overfly needs to defy gravity to get a syphon going. It's really a no brainer.

You're lucky yours restarts everytime, but the chance is still there that one day it wont.

Plus drilling is cheaper than spending $100-200 on an external overflow.

LOL...
My friend, I live in no such fear.
You must have one of those CPR units...lol

Go with a Life Reef or similar.

Again, 6 years, no breaks in siphon, no floods and probably 100 power outages .

Youngster Dan
01-27-2011, 07:37 PM
+1 to Drilling > External Overflow

Best bet is to really take your time, and drill it. This way you are forced to put a sump on and gather the equipment you may want. If you are up for it, you can drill it yourself as it's kind of fun.

I'm running a "herbie" overflow and it is pretty quiet. Kind of annoying to get it dialed in, but seems like a pretty straight forward and simple design.

There is always a few ways to skin a cat :biggrin:

gobytron
01-27-2011, 07:42 PM
Again, with a high quality external, there is no break in siphon.

I would not use one of the ones that relies on an aqualifter, these are made to fail...

bit do some due dilligence on Life Reef, my experience is the norm and not the exception.

you sound like a guy who has never actually used one of these.

I have used drilled tanks and both the utube and aqualifter pumps and the only reason I would drill a tank would be for a closed loop because my experience with both my life reef as well as the DIY I made are reliable and gove me so much more tank to work with, though they are not fool proof and need to be set up (and constructed) appropriately.

You are spreading misinformation based on your inexperience IMO.

I wont say one is better than the other, just that they are both viable and reliable options depending on your needs.

Youngster Dan
01-27-2011, 07:48 PM

I would not use one of the ones that relies on an aqualifter, these are made to fail...

bit do some due dilligence on Life Reef, my experience is the norm and not the exception.

I have used drilled tanks and both the utube and aqualifter pumps and the only reason I would drill a tank would be for a closed loop because my experience with both my life reef as well as the DIY I made are reliable and gove me so much more tank to work with, though they are not fool proof and need to be set up (and constructed) appropriately.

I wont say one is better than the other, just that they are both viable and reliable options depending on your needs.

You are my favorite :lol:

gobytron
01-27-2011, 07:51 PM
get in line.

Aquattro
01-27-2011, 07:55 PM
Both are fine, externals can be setup to not fail. But, my internal takes up less room, and makes things a bit cleaner looking. I guess I don't like things hanging on the edge of the tank. But given the choice, with an empty tank, I would still recommend an internal. The box portion can be customized for different needs and doesn't have to take up a lot of room.

GMGQ
01-27-2011, 07:58 PM
No worries man, you dont have to listen to a schmuck like me.

Lots of other posts on this thread to read.

P.S. U R # 1! :D

gobytron
01-27-2011, 08:01 PM
No worries man, you dont have to listen to a schmuck like me.

Lots of other posts on this thread to read.

P.S. U R # 1! :D

No worries my friend.
When I am out of intellectal ammo, I often patronize people too.:wink:

fkshiu
01-27-2011, 08:10 PM
There is a third way. First some clarification on terminology:

- an "external" overflow as used in this thread is more commonly known as an HOB overflow. This is the type of overflow that Lifereef makes.

- an "internal" overflow usually consists of a drilled hole or two enveloped by an internal overflow box.

There is another kiind of external overflow that involves no drilling and no u-tubes. Here's mine:
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c197/fkshiu/IMG_5560.jpg

Glass is notched out of the top of the back pane and the water overflows into the attached external glass box and down to the sump via the Herbie pipes. No chance of flood, no unsightly boxes inside the aquarium, and easily Herbie-able. Does cost a bit more to build, though. My mistake is not going wider or even coast-to-coast.

GMGQ
01-27-2011, 08:45 PM
Not really, I can go on forever. But like with my gf, when she's got her opinion about something, I know when to shut up.

You seem very passionate to make your point. I just dont see the need to explain my opinion any further. (i.e. water reaches hole, water goes down hole).

But maybe you're right, maybe I dont have the intellect to properly setup a HOB overflow. I guess that's why me and the majority prefer the brainless drilled method.

Listen, I have one opinion, and you have one opinion.

OP: Please google "drilled vs overflow" to see what turns up, and use that research to make your OWN educated decision. We're just canreef, what do we know, right?

Enough said.

P.S. Off topic, but I bet u the earth is flat.

No worries my friend.
When I am out of intellectal ammo, I often patronize people too.:wink:

cale262
01-27-2011, 09:25 PM
I have one of each, all with herbies. One with a HOB overflow, one with an internal overflow and one with an external overflow…

The HOB has never spilt a drop and if set up properly I can’t see how it could**, I turn my return pumps off twice a day every day at feeding times.

The Internal is nice and fool proof, but it takes allot of realty which doesn’t look very appealing to me.

The External is my favorite as there as there is no box in the tank, just an overflow cut into the rim of the tank with the box on the back of the tank and nothing more…
** Unless something is plugged none will overflow…IME:wink:

Aquattro
01-27-2011, 10:16 PM
Thanks Brian, that's probably the most qualified answer! While my internal doesn't take up too much room, an external box would have worked better. Oh well, next tank :)

lastlight
01-27-2011, 10:24 PM
Even if both are considered reliable I'd choose an external (not HOB) overflow anyday. No holes drilled in the tank itself and it's strictly gravity without any reliance on a siphon. Even if both are safe I'd choose the external. Better with resale too since 99% of reefers would prefer a true overflow as opposed to a tank that's not 'reef-ready'.

cale262
01-28-2011, 12:29 PM
... Oh well, next tank :)

LOL, thinking like this is how I ended up with 3 SW Sytems now,...Picking up number 4 this wkend so I can shut down two of them, the new one is also external overflow with some other niceties incorporated into the build.:biggrin:

bigbadbrent
01-28-2011, 03:24 PM
This got a lot of replies, more then i could have hoped for. Thanks for the advice guys.

To get the true 'external' overflow, are they normally custom built?

Bob
01-28-2011, 04:05 PM
I have had external overflow for almost 20 years...
The new ones are self priming...so if power go's off..they start atuomatically...
If this is your first tank...you will be moving up...usually a few times...this is where the external one pays for itself...I have seen a couple on here recently...one for 80 the other a 100.
They do not over syphon..overflow your tank...they work almost the same as a built in one....I speak from owning both....I still have my external one

Aquattro
01-28-2011, 04:31 PM
...I have seen a couple on here recently...one for 80 the other a 100.

Another one (CPR) for 65...

Reefpins10
01-29-2011, 04:18 AM
I just ordered an overflow box from Lifereef after I read this useful advise for not using a reefready tank.

http://www.aquacorals.com/ShopAquariums.htm

trilinearmipmap
01-29-2011, 04:43 AM
I have never used a hang-on overflow but if I did, I'd get a lifereef, and also add a float switch so my controller would turn off the return pump in the event of a siphon break.

fkshiu
01-29-2011, 05:49 AM
This got a lot of replies, more then i could have hoped for. Thanks for the advice guys.

To get the true 'external' overflow, are they normally custom built?

Yes.

byee
05-08-2011, 04:11 PM
I've got the CPR CS 102 for since I started my tank 5 years ago. I've lost count on the number of aqualift pumps!

Each time the pump fails, I have the beginnings of an indoor pool in my basement.

I was told CPR makes on of the 'best' HOB overflows......they may but the weak point is Lee's Aqualift pump! Just flooded by basement again for the 8th time. The rubber diaframs all full of salt. If a standard siphon tube can run forever with NO air bubbles, why does the CPR require a aqualift pump to pull out the air?? Inherent design problem??

$1,000,000 question, is the aqualift used to correct a design flaw in the overflow?

I'm replacing mine with a Lifereef type using good old fashion siphon tubes!!

tinman
05-08-2011, 04:32 PM
+1 on the internal I have 2 one in each corner 6 x 6 each. By 16 inches high never gonna clog and a fifty gallon sump for a 100 gallon tank with a backup retun pump all wired to my apex my gf is much happier no more floods