PDA

View Full Version : How long to leave an oyster in the tank?

daniella3d
01-27-2011, 05:27 AM
Today I gave my copperband a fresh oyster. At first it did not toutch it at all and was even afraid of the thing. Then my trigger came along and started eating...then the butterfly took a bite and voila :)

He's eating slowly and picking often at the oyster so I was wondering how long can I leave it there? Can I put one in the morning and leave it all day for the fish to eat?

It's a fresh oyster so it is alive before slicing it in 2 and putting it in the tank. I rinse it before with tap water. How long do you leave oyster in your tank? does that pollute?

Also how often should I give it? is once a week enough (expensive at 2$ each!)? The copperband only eats live white worms beside the oyster and of course the pods in the tank.

George
01-27-2011, 05:58 AM
Today I gave my copperband a fresh oyster. At first it did not toutch it at all and was even afraid of the thing. Then my trigger came along and started eating...then the butterfly took a bite and voila :)

He's eating slowly and picking often at the oyster so I was wondering how long can I leave it there? Can I put one in the morning and leave it all day for the fish to eat?

It's a fresh oyster so it is alive before slicing it in 2 and putting it in the tank. I rinse it before with tap water. How long do you leave oyster in your tank? does that pollute?

Also how often should I give it? is once a week enough (expensive at 2$ each!)? The copperband only eats live white worms beside the oyster and of course the pods in the tank.

You could try clams. Much cheaper than oysters.
I think you should remove the oyster or the clam as soon as you think the fish have enough. You don't want to leave it in the tank all day. They are very high in protein and can pollute your tank fast.

daniella3d
01-27-2011, 06:04 AM
I cannot remove it as soon as the fish as finish eating because he does not stop eating. Copperband are slow eaters. They only pick a few bites and then go away, and then return and pick again a bit like a mandarin picking on liverock all day long.

I watched it and for like 4 hours the fish went again and again eating the oyster. Did 2 huge poop during that time so I guess it was eating quite a large amount still to poop like that.

I left the oyster from around 6:00 pm till 11:30 pm, so around 5 hours.

Both my copperband and my niger trigger were on and off on the oyster for all this time.

You could try clams. Much cheaper than oysters.
I think you should remove the oyster or the clam as soon as you think the fish have enough. You don't want to leave it in the tank all day. They are very high in protein and can pollute your tank fast.

untamed
01-27-2011, 10:23 PM
I think you should try to find oysters (or clams) that are of a size that they will be eaten cleanly within a single day....12 hrs or so. I don't think you would want any uneaten portion of anything sitting overnight, if possible.

A good clean up crew should polish off anything uneaten by the fish in less than a day.

daniella3d
01-28-2011, 12:39 AM
If it can stay in the tank for all day it's just fine. The first time I put an oyster I put it to late at 6:00 pm. Next time I will put it early morning so the fishes have plenty of time to finish it up.

Today I put a mussel and the copperband liked it as well but he was not as found of it as it was for the oyster. Still, when I removed it tonight it was nearly all consumed.

I am guessing that I should not put this each day, but rather twice a week or it will pollute my tank if I do it each day? I wonder how often people with copperband butterfly are feeding oyster and mussels?

I think you should try to find oysters (or clams) that are of a size that they will be eaten cleanly within a single day....12 hrs or so. I don't think you would want any uneaten portion of anything sitting overnight, if possible.

A good clean up crew should polish off anything uneaten by the fish in less than a day.

untamed
01-28-2011, 04:13 PM
The more you feed, the more strain you put on the system filtration regardless if it is consumed or not. Uneaten food would be worse than eaten food, but it all has to be processed by the system one way or the other.

I believe that well fed fish are healthy fish. Yes, you can feed less and they may survive...but if they are eating an entire oyster every day, then I would give them one every day. If they can eat two, give them two. I think this is probably especially valuable for a fish like the Copperband.

daniella3d
01-28-2011, 09:18 PM
That copperband is getting fat now. So far I have put a large oyster 3 days ago, yesterday I put a mussel, today I put another oyster. He's picking at it bit by bit all day long, plus he gets live white worms. I tested ammonia today and it was zero. Tested nitrates and was zero.

What would be the sign of my system overload with waste? I guess first sign would be nitrates?

I believe that well fed fish are healthy fish. Yes, you can feed less and they may survive...but if they are eating an entire oyster every day, then I would give them one every day. If they can eat two, give them two. I think this is probably especially valuable for a fish like the Copperband.

Doug
01-28-2011, 10:40 PM
http://96.31.86.198/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=67583&highlight=copperband+eating+clams

untamed
01-28-2011, 11:19 PM
What would be the sign of my system overload with waste? I guess first sign would be nitrates?

Increasing nitrate level would be something to watch for. However, you're more likely to see an increase in algae/cyano before you get to measure that nitrate as they are very quick to take advantage of high nitrates. Nitrates are just the end product of the nitrification cycle that deals with everything that goes into the aquarium. (simplification ;-)

I don't think that high nitrates would define "overload". I would define "overload" as supplying so much food, so quickly, that your biological filtration cannot deal with it...Decaying food/waste produces more ammonia than your bacteria can quickly handle. Ammonia, kills rapidly and you produce MORE death and MORE waste and ammonia resulting in a spiral that takes down the entire tank. You overload the bacterial population you have.

My final thoughts on this are that you can generally feed as much as you want provided you build up the system to handle it. GRADUAL increases in feeding will be matched by increasing population of bacteria to deal with it. Once you have a robust population of bacterial to deal with large feedings the only downside to the large feedings is dealing with nitrates/algae.

daniella3d
01-29-2011, 01:43 AM
I have checked the ammonia today and it was zero. I guess my system can handle it then because everything is good, fishes are happy, corals are happy and polyps are wide open.

Still, I will try in the future to put a bit less flesh in the water and remove some of the oyster meat to feed my other fishes just to be on the safe side.

I bought some smaller oyster so there will be less meat to decay. Each time I remove the oyster though, it smell very good and does not smell like something rotting, even after 5 hours.

My liverock is Totoka and it is very porous, so I guess there are a lot of bacterias but I am aware that the number of bacterias will adjust slowly to the environment demand. A few days maybe? not sure. I will monitor this closely at the begining.

My final thoughts on this are that you can generally feed as much as you want provided you build up the system to handle it. GRADUAL increases in feeding will be matched by increasing population of bacteria to deal with it. Once you have a robust population of bacterial to deal with large feedings the only downside to the large feedings is dealing with nitrates/algae.