PDA

View Full Version : Fairy Wrasse splashing water etc

Palmer
01-26-2011, 03:46 AM
I have had a fairy wrasse for about 10 months. Just recently when going up to the tank to feed I occasionally notice a huge splash at the surface (i have eggcrate on the tank) that was never there before. Even though it happens so fast i can't see it I think it is my fairy wrasse either getting startled and trying to jump or aggressively going after the food. Its suprizing since it never used to happen and it normally does not feed aggressively like that. Any thoughts? The only change I have made recently is putting a vortech MP40 in the tank....

daniella3d
01-26-2011, 02:04 PM
hard to tell. you should observe it and see if there is aggresion from the other fish. maybe it's just the new current from the new pump that startle it? they are known jumper so better watch that. I would be worried that it could go through eggcrate.

tlo
01-26-2011, 03:48 PM
my wrasses jump at feeding time too. They startle easily and the rapid movements of other fish at feeding time sometimes sets them off.

I agree with daniella - watch the eggcrate, I used to have my tank covered with eggcrate and have had fish jump through, or just bump it out of the way.

Palmer
01-26-2011, 04:07 PM
Thanks all, this wrasse is pretty big now I do not think he could get through unless he specifically went for the edge or corner. Yeah it could be reacting to the other fish as well. It just annoys me because it gets salt all over my light lol.

kien
01-26-2011, 07:33 PM
both my hawaiian flame wrasse and solar wrasse do that. At first it was just feeding time when they got all excited and splashed. They seem to like chasing one another now and that usually ends up with one of them up and out of the tank. Luckily I have netting over my tank :)

It could be that your wrasse is now comfortable and has settled into the routine :)

Palmer
01-26-2011, 10:18 PM
Good to know :)