PDA

View Full Version : I cant grow pulsing xenia or green star pulyps

bryceschutte
01-25-2011, 03:53 PM
I have anenomes, zoas, mushrooms, and kenya tree. All living just fine in my set up. But I have tried pulsing xenia and GSP multiple times with no luck. Any ideas?

matinbc
01-25-2011, 04:28 PM
I have had the same problem for a while now but I have just (as of yesterday) gotten them to pulse again after about 2 months. It was a combination of things.

First, I am running a 90gal as well and have 4x t5ho lights. With that being said, They were near the bottom of my tank and were not getting enough light. Also my water was a little out. I do loads of water changes but I found hat my PH and my Alk were both low. Once I got my DKH to about 7-8 my PH was more consistant and now they seem to be happy again. Also watch how much current they are getting. Should be placed in a medium flow area I think. (Correct me anyone if I am wrong)

hope that helps. Might be a different problem yet but its a start.

Lampshade
01-25-2011, 04:35 PM
My tank hates xenia, no idea why. I have lots of SPS/LPS/Zoa's/Soft Coral that grow great. The only things that don't grow are xenia and a toadstool leather. I've heard the same from other people aswell. My old tank was a high nutrient tank and grew xenia great, new tank is low nutrient, and bad growth.

Not sure if that's why, but that's the big difference for me, Xenia likes dirty water.

Chin_Lee
01-25-2011, 05:01 PM
supplement with iodine and trace elements. i find them very important is softies.

Wanderer
01-25-2011, 05:26 PM
supplement with iodine and trace elements. i find them very important is softies.

agreed 100% gald someone beat me to the punch

just don't overdo it!

Aqua Man
01-25-2011, 05:53 PM
Hey... too much current. I had them in a 100 gallon reef and they stop pulsing, they dispursed and regrew in other area of the tank. They all eventually died off except one area.... hmmm I wondered. I looked at the loacation and down sized my power heads from 4x #3's to 2 x #1's and boom xenia every where......

They do not like current. Maybe just a tiny bit. They will grow out of control once they are happy. I give my extras away for free after a while.

Corey

Binare
01-25-2011, 11:54 PM
Consider yourself lucky then and quit while your ahead... As in quitting before you loath both for their weed like growth ;-)