PDA

View Full Version : Squid?

BCOrchidGuy
12-26-2003, 09:02 PM
I'm thinking of using a squid on my 90 and have a couple questions that weren't covered in the other post about them. For those people using them, what pump are you using to drive it? I was thinking of using a Mag12 but I'm wondering if the wave action wouldn't be to fast for it, I've got a Mag7 I could use if that would move the water slower but I'll still use the Mag 12 as a return pump from my sump. I want to use the Squid as my wave maker and have an outlet at each end of my 4ft Long 90 Gallon. For a couple more $$ I could just do the natural wave power bar thing. Any thoughts?

Doug

Aquattro
12-26-2003, 09:24 PM
Doug, I recall that a MAG 12 is too large for it. I believe they have a max flow rate.

Jack
12-27-2003, 12:44 AM
Yeah Brad's right. I think the max is 1200 gph.. or 1000, something like that.

Also, they are mechanical devices so the more flow you put through them the faster it alternates... to fast, IMO. They work best for smaller tanks with smaller pumps.

I use the Natural Wave powerbar and like it. I've used the RedSea Wavemaker pro too and this one works just as good (for the price) Each wave outlet can handle 100w so you can put splitters and run many powerheads off the three alternating recepticals it comes with.

BCOrchidGuy
12-27-2003, 09:04 PM
Good idea Brad, I know from reading about the Squid that the max GPH is 1400, but thats why I was asking about the wave action, I may use the Mag 12 as a return and then use the natural wave power bar. My only concern is, I like the tank to be clean and tidy looking. When I had the 90 set up before I had 4 big power heads in it and they were ugly, I'd like to keep all the stuff as concealed as possible. Maybe I should go with two Mag 9s and have them on the Natural Wave for 45ish seconds each... hmm.. .lots to think about.

Doug

Jack
12-27-2003, 11:55 PM
A Mag pump on a wavemaker would eat impellers. :mrgreen:

BCOrchidGuy
12-28-2003, 10:07 PM
That was/is one of my concerns Jack, thanks for the comment, so I'm back to the idea of a mag12 maybe with a mag 7 on the Squid.

Doug

sumpfinfishe
12-29-2003, 04:58 AM
Hey Doug,
Just for your info, I run a Squid on a Mag3 in my 27gl. It pushes about 300gph including head, which alternates the Squid to either side of the two returns about every ten seconds. The reason why I wanted to let you know this rate is because even though the unit is rated at 1400gph, I think that anything over a Mag7 would switch flow too fast. The Squid is a great unit though, it makes no noise and I have only had to clean it once in a year. Hope this helps in some way :mrgreen:

BCOrchidGuy
12-29-2003, 11:06 AM
Thanks Rich that's exactly what I wanted to hear, I think now that if I ran the Mag 7, I'd not really get wave action but rather just spurts of water from each outlet.

Thanks again Rich,

Doug

sumpfinfishe
12-29-2003, 04:59 PM
No problem Doug :smile:

The only complaint I have with the Squid is that the hose fittings on either side are short and only have one rim to snug up the fit, so what I did was I used hose clamps on both ends to help secure the lines, other than that no problems :biggrin:
Let me know how it works out for ya!

cheers, Rich