PDA

View Full Version : What are the top T5 HO fixtures currently

Trigger Man
01-24-2011, 07:41 PM
Well it's time to get back into the hobby again, bought a place and now it's time to get the research done. It's been almost 2 years since I've been gone from the hobby, so need to know what people are now liking for T5HO units and why? This new tank will probably be 6-8 feet long, lowering depth to 20 inches this time for easier cleaning. Width I'm thinking 22-26 inches. So tell me what you guys think for T5 lighting.

PS- I guess sig line no longer is true atm

FishyFishy!
01-24-2011, 07:48 PM
I have been using a 6 foot Aquatinics Constellation fixture, and absolutely love it. Amazing light, and 3 different switches for 3 different light combos. Very easy to work on, and replace bulbs.

There is 14 X 39W T5HO's in there so lots of possibilities for different color combos

burrows14
01-24-2011, 08:27 PM
Look into ati powermodules and sunpowers. Tons of par and very well built 2x4ft 8bulb fixtures over a 8ftx24-26" tank would look pretty sweet and you can keep any coral you can think of

gobytron
01-24-2011, 08:54 PM
the new Hamilton fixtures JL just got in look pretty money...
active cooling and everything....

jon.smolders
01-24-2011, 09:11 PM
I've got a Sunlight Supply Tek Light 48" 6x54w. I bought it because it was decent quality for the money (about $400 before tax). Two power cords/switches: one turns on the first and last bulbs, the other does the four middle bulbs. I like it, my tank is still cycling, so I havn't tried any corals under it yet. The only thing is that there are no fans like the ATI fixtures... I just set up two cooling fans on the side of my tank. It may not be top of the line, but its pretty close. If I was going to spend more on a fixture I would go LED.

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x358/jsmolders/Aquascape4.jpg

Trigger Man
01-25-2011, 12:25 AM
I always liked the Tek's i ran them on my last tank and was able to grow every type of coral. This time i think I'm going to go to one of the higher end models, just trying to figure out which one. I'm leaning towards the powermoduals, as they have had a good rep even years ago, but seeing if any other brands have come out with new better T5 lighting.

PS- no current tank, but looking to build another soon

lastlight
01-25-2011, 12:36 AM
Powermodule and sfiligoi stealth would be the higher end fixtures. I'm thinking the sfiligoi looks better and performs just as well so long as it has individual reflectors and fans. Some of them have shared reflectors and no fans so do your research. I know the 12 bulb ones have both. I also prefer the glass shields of the stealth over the sag prone acrylic in the ati but perhaps that issue has been fixed? Otherwise the powermodule has an edge over the other models. Giesemann matrix has no fans and not much is known about these.

viperfish
01-25-2011, 01:33 AM
Check out the new Aquamedic fixtures. My buddy Smudge has the eight bulb and they are one of the sweetest fixtures out there. They have glass shields, individual reflectors, built in LED moonlights, individual control for moonlights and T5 groups, they come with both the hanging kit and mounting legs, and actively cooled by really quiet fans. The really cool thing is you could buy two of these for the price of a stealth or powermodule. After looking at his, it's got me thinking about switching my MH for T5's.

randallino
01-25-2011, 01:56 AM
+1 I love my Stealth, fans and individual reflectors 48" 8 bulb with moon LEDS, now you can get the unit dim-able, solidly built with a decent hanging kit.
Powermodule and sfiligoi stealth would be the higher end fixtures. I'm thinking the sfiligoi looks better and performs just as well so long as it has individual reflectors and fans. Some of them have shared reflectors and no fans so do your research. I know the 12 bulb ones have both. I also prefer the glass shields of the stealth over the sag prone acrylic in the ati but perhaps that issue has been fixed? Otherwise the powermodule has an edge over the other models. Giesemann matrix has no fans and not much is known about these.

Trigger Man
01-25-2011, 05:20 AM
+1 I love my Stealth, fans and individual reflectors 48" 8 bulb with moon LEDS, now you can get the unit dim-able, solidly built with a decent hanging kit.

Good to know, never even thought about the Stealths, going to have to do some research on them now.

lastlight
01-25-2011, 05:22 AM
Stones' 4 foot 8 bulb stealth had a reflector for every 2 bulbs. They were bent to nearly appear to be individual. Not sure if Sfiligoi has change this or not (or even how much it matters).

fishytime
01-25-2011, 05:44 AM
Check out the new Aquamedic fixtures. My buddy Smudge has the eight bulb and they are one of the sweetest fixtures out there.

nice light for sure but try getting parts for one:wink:

lastlight
01-25-2011, 06:00 AM

And that's a great argument for just getting a pair of teks and being done with it.

BC564
01-25-2011, 01:22 PM
I have the 4 foot Aquatinics Constellation fixture and really like it......good light coverage.....

gobytron
01-25-2011, 02:06 PM
http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/hm-ffs486/Fiji+Sun+T5+Fluorescent+Fixture+%2848+Inch+-+6-54W%29.html

Some eople only feel good about purchasing knowing they have paid the absolute most possible for the best brand name.

If that's NOT you, have a look at these new Hamilton fixtures JL just started to carry...

literally everything on them that the stealth and power module owners have, but at 500$ bulbs in for a 48" 6 bulb unit...yes, there are 3 fans and led moonlights as well.

phi delt reefer
01-25-2011, 03:04 PM
http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/hm-ffs486/Fiji+Sun+T5+Fluorescent+Fixture+%2848+Inch+-+6-54W%29.html

Some eople only feel good about purchasing knowing they have paid the absolute most possible for the best brand name.

If that's NOT you, have a look at these new Hamilton fixtures JL just started to carry...

literally everything on them that the stealth and power module owners have, but at 500$ bulbs in for a 48" 6 bulb unit...yes, there are 3 fans and led moonlights as well.

true - but ATI's are tried and true. Lots of documentation online that shows ATI's thermal management and reflector technology produces a more efficient unit. I couldn't anything for the Sfiligoi's.

as for the Hamilton units... for $599 - you can get a 6x54 ATI Sunpower with all ATI bulbs. Only difference is they have no moonlights. (from ReefGeek.com) Hamilton unit comes with their own bulbs which are probably not all that great in comparison to ATI, KZ, etc.

ATI actually manages heat in their unit - they just don't throw fans on it and call it a day. Their are channels to cool the label end of the bulb and the cover keeps bulbs and ballast operating at the right temp. Too cold and you lose output, too hot and you lose output/longevity. There is a fine balance.

The reason the Powermodules have more fans than the Sunpowers is because of how compact the Powermodule is. The Sunpower is more open so it can manage the same thermal load with fewer fans. Difference in par is only 5%. Both are made of the materials and contain the same ballasts. Sort of like buying a Honda Civic or its Acura counterpart.

lastlight
01-25-2011, 03:10 PM

To be fair some people want something with a little design thrown into the mix as well. I don't personally feel that fixture bits the (large) bill for those people...

gobytron
01-25-2011, 03:41 PM
Hey, or those who have the spare cash, why wouldnt you want the comfort of knowing you bought the most expensive piece of equipment out there.

There is definitely some peace of mind in that and as we all know, often you do get what you pay for.

It's uselss to talk semantics without a direct, controlled peer to peer device comparison.

My guess would be the difference between the ATI and the Hamilton is negligible.

your guess is likely different.:wink:

gobytron
01-25-2011, 03:43 PM
true - but ATI's are tried and true. Lots of documentation online that shows ATI's thermal management and reflector technology produces a more efficient unit. I couldn't anything for the Sfiligoi's.

as for the Hamilton units... for $499 - you can get a 6x54 ATI Sunpower with all ATI bulbs. Only difference is they have no moonlights. (from ReefGeek.com) Hamilton unit comes with their own bulbs which are probably not all that great in comparison to ATI, KZ, etc.

ATI actually manages heat in their unit - they just don't throw fans on it and call it a day. Their are channels to cool the label end of the bulb and the cover keeps bulbs and ballast operating at the right temp. Too cold and you lose output, too hot and you lose output/longevity. There is a fine balance.

The reason the Powermodules have more fans than the Sunpowers is because of how compact the Powermodule is. The Sunpower is more open so it can manage the same thermal load with fewer fans. Difference in par is only 5%. Both are made of the materials and contain the same ballasts. Sort of like buying a Honda Civic or its Acura counterpart.

where do you get 499?...also, no LED moonlights on this fixture.
http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5_Fluorescent/ATI/SunPower_Fixtures/48_inch__6x54W_SunPower_T5_High-Output_Fixture_w!_Bulbs_by_ATI

randallino
01-25-2011, 03:45 PM
This is a fun thread is like comparing skimmers... :wink:

lastlight
01-25-2011, 03:48 PM
I don't doubt the performances of these fixtures are very close. You pay a lot extra for a brand name when in this case that includes superior fit, finish and style. I'm a retro fit guy now I paint up some plywood and call it a day. I'm just pretending this is a few years ago =)

phi delt reefer
01-25-2011, 03:50 PM
where do you get 499http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5_Fluorescent/ATI/SunPower_Fixtures/48_inch__6x54W_SunPower_T5_High-Output_Fixture_w!_Bulbs_by_ATI

crap- i quoted the unit without bulbs.

http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5_Fluorescent/ATI/SunPower_Fixtures/48_inch__6x54W_SunPower_T5_High-Output_Fixture_by_ATI

my bad...post updated.

JohnnyReeftank
01-25-2011, 04:09 PM
When I was looking for gear about 5 months ago I was referred to this chart for T5 lighting.......I ended up with 4X36" Hagen GLO based on this chart....they aren't bad but I'm starting to wish that I joined Canreef a little earlier so I could've seen threads like this one before buying.

http://www.petsandponds.com/en/aquarium-supplies/c5813/index.html

viperfish
01-25-2011, 06:37 PM

You obviously haven't dealt with them in a while. Their customer support has been nothing short of amazing for the last couple of years. I broke a tab on my TF5000, sent them an email on Sunday, by Thursday I had a new cup arrive free of charge. I have yet to experience anything less than excellent service from Aqua Medic. By the sound of it you have but I'm sure every company slips at some point, they have obviously identified it and have made improvements.

jon.smolders
01-25-2011, 06:55 PM
Another plug for the Tek light... I just found this air cooled version. Just another option... :wink:

http://www.blueworldaquariums.com/proddetail.php?prod=489382

Trigger Man
01-25-2011, 07:18 PM
You obviously haven't dealt with them in a while. Their customer support has been nothing short of amazing for the last couple of years. I broke a tab on my TF5000, sent them an email on Sunday, by Thursday I had a new cup arrive free of charge. I have yet to experience anything less than excellent service from Aqua Medic. By the sound of it you have but I'm sure every company slips at some point, they have obviously identified it and have made improvements.

Who sells them near Calgary or surrounding region? I am suprised that there are yet to be any groups that have done actual comparisons on the top T5 brands yet. On my first system I had preordered and received one of the first Tek 4x54w 48 inch units, and it worked well (less one ballast replacement). Now with around 5-6 years of all these fixtures being around it is still a difficult question to answer it seems. I've searched everywhere on the net asked around, and yet still no diffinitive answer. For this tank it will be in wall mounted so looks of the lights will not matter, and i don't mind paying more for something noticeably better, but if similar then the bang for the buck wins out.

lastlight
01-25-2011, 07:39 PM
I def think the sunpower is the light for you then. Doesn't look all that nice but essentially has the same output as a powermodule.

viperfish
01-25-2011, 09:33 PM
Who sells them near Calgary or surrounding region? I am suprised that there are yet to be any groups that have done actual comparisons on the top T5 brands yet. On my first system I had preordered and received one of the first Tek 4x54w 48 inch units, and it worked well (less one ballast replacement). Now with around 5-6 years of all these fixtures being around it is still a difficult question to answer it seems. I've searched everywhere on the net asked around, and yet still no diffinitive answer. For this tank it will be in wall mounted so looks of the lights will not matter, and i don't mind paying more for something noticeably better, but if similar then the bang for the buck wins out.
The only one I know of in Calgary that sells them is Wai's, there may be more. The LFS in Medicine Hat sells Aqua Medic as well. Plenty of online vendors carry them as well. It would be interesting to see the fixtures go head to head in a comparison to see if there is any justification for the much higher price of some of these fixtures. Without measuring PAR, all a guy can do is look at build quality and features. Some of the essential ones being individual reflectors, cooling, and lighting control. Although my RSM 250 with 6 T5HO KZ bulbs is growing SPS as good as my 250W halides ever have, go figure.

Trigger Man
01-26-2011, 04:41 AM
So here's a thought, if i go 6 foot would it be wierd to get 2 different brands of t5 fixtures(3 foot each one), put the same bulbs on each and see the results on the 2 sides of the tanks? Now the question would be from the naked eye, would one be able to tell the difference in lighting from each fixture?

phi delt reefer
01-26-2011, 10:57 AM
depends on the fixtures. Like the ATI ones do produce more light than the standard teks but it may not be that obvious (Difference is only 15 to 20%). I have also heard that some bulbs looks slightly different on different ballasts due to the variance in actual output voltages.

some things to consider before going with TWO 3 foot fixtures....

(lets assume you need 6 bulbs front to back)

1. 12 36" bulbs cost more than 6 60" bulbs

2. T5HO bulbs have a cold "no light" section on the tips of the bulbs. Add to that the room needed for the endcap and casing for both lights. This means the centre of your tank will have a dim area. May not be too noticeable. I think Grizz said he was running two fixtures over his tank so it would be best to consult with him as to whether that gap is visible.

lastlight
01-26-2011, 03:23 PM
Getting 60" bulbs locally was basically impossible for me. You'll be ordering from the US most likely if you go that route unless you're content to use actinics (you won't be) which seemed to be the only bulbs I found in town.