PDA

View Full Version : Elos Alk test

spawn
01-24-2011, 02:07 AM
So I just got a new elos alk test kit today (white box) it's directions read slightly different then the one I had before. Anyway I want to confirm that if you do the test as directed with the 5ml most people would end up using 14-20 drops as 1 Drop corresponds to .5 degree of hardness. If this is correct my alk would be low, however it would be right on according to how the previous kit's direction's were laid out. So before I go adjusting anything I was hoping someone could confirm the # of drops required to reach 9 DKH with the new kit. Thanks

freezetyle
01-24-2011, 02:08 AM
So I just got a new elos alk test kit today (white box) it's directions read slightly different then the one I had before. Anyway I want to confirm that if you do the test as directed with the 5ml most people would end up using 14-20 drops as 1 Drop corresponds to .5 degree of hardness. If this is correct my alk would be low, however it would be right on according to how the previous kit's direction's were laid out. So before I go adjusting anything I was hoping someone could confirm the # of drops required to reach 9 DKH with the new kit. Thanks

the instructions on mine are the same 9Kh is 18 drops

spawn
01-24-2011, 02:15 AM
Well then I'm at 4.5 kh however everything in the tank looks good with growth, P.E. & color. The old kit would take 9 drops saying each drop corresponded to 1 degree of hardness. I don't know, but I'm reluctant to start jacking up my alk. Any more thoughts?

matinbc
01-24-2011, 02:29 AM
Well brother, all I can say is just go with the infromation you have got. I do about 5-6water changes a month and still have to dose a bit to get my KH up. (Using H2Ocean) But since I have started dosing everything has come to life and my PH has less drastic swings. My only advice is measure twice, dose once... but a little at a time. if things are already good take baby steps..

PoonTang
01-24-2011, 03:10 AM
Try measuring the Alk in a batch of new salt water. Would be very unlikely that it would read low especially if your using IO.

spawn
01-24-2011, 04:18 AM
I have done that with the old kit & it did test very high in drops, but in actuality it was probably right where it should've been. Also both kits tested the same, being 9 drops = 4.5dkh, so I would'nt be suspect of them, & I am very aware of how to use them. What besides maybe slower growth rates, would be likely signs of low alk in a tank?

reefan
01-24-2011, 05:59 AM
Test it with "test fluid" to see how much it's out

spawn
01-24-2011, 11:15 PM
Which test fluid do you mean? I don't think either test kit is out, I'm just surprised to find out how low my alk is due to a misprint in the origional kits instructions, and yet my tank has never really visibly seemed to suffer due to it.