PDA

View Full Version : dried cement like coraline removal hints

lockrookie
01-23-2011, 11:47 PM
any hints on removing dried coraline algea off glass other than vinager or razor blades this stuff is dried on hard like cement lol. i forsee lots of elbow grease in the future. as well i need some aquarium safe black sylicone where to find.

RedCoralEdmonton
01-23-2011, 11:49 PM
home depot for the silicone.....just find 100% silicone...no caulking added

Steve

lockrookie
01-23-2011, 11:54 PM
home depot for the silicone.....just find 100% silicone...no caulking added

Steve

thanks steve ill check on that tomorrow normally i would just use clear but this tank was previously done with black

Snappy
01-24-2011, 12:16 AM
Muriadic acid works great on coraline removal.

lorenz0
01-24-2011, 12:25 AM
a very diluted form of HCl will do the trick, lol for real

lockrookie
01-24-2011, 01:54 AM
Muriadic acid works great on coraline removal.

a very diluted form of HCl will do the trick, lol for real

acids worry me i would have towash it really well but ill look into it thanks. thereis alot of coraline onthe glass he has a great culture of it lol.

gobytron
01-24-2011, 02:29 PM
Vinegear work every time...

Just mix up a strong water/vin mix and let it circulate in there for a few hours...

your coraline will come off easy after that.

Aquattro
01-24-2011, 02:49 PM
Really, the best thing is just use a new razor blade. Muriatic acid is great, but you need to use it outside, and you have to neutralize it before disposal. If you can fill the tank and run it with lots of vinegar, that works, but again, you then need to drain it all and clean it up.

Brightwhite
01-24-2011, 03:52 PM
Really, the best thing is just use a new razor blade. Muriatic acid is great, but you need to use it outside, and you have to neutralize it before disposal. If you can fill the tank and run it with lots of vinegar, that works, but again, you then need to drain it all and clean it up.

x2 on the razerblades an elbow grease, pick up a box an they will last forever.

StirCrazy
01-24-2011, 07:19 PM
I cleaned up my old tank with viniger and a razor blade. I layed the tank on its front with a 1" block under the edge and put enough viniger in so it wouldn't spill out. let it sit about 15 min then tip the tank up right again and use the rasor to get anything left off, then repeat for each side.

took me maybe an hour with about 15 to 20 min of actual work.

Steve

gobytron
01-24-2011, 09:16 PM
x2 on the razerblades an elbow grease, pick up a box an they will last forever.

sub vineagar for elbow grease or vice versa....either way.

lockrookie
01-24-2011, 10:36 PM
well i picked up a razor scraper and got all the crusty stuff off but now there is a residue that is still there im sure i wont seeitwhenwater is in the tank but the razor blades wont seem to get rid of it ..will try soaking in vinager already tried scrunge.. i really shuldnt be so picky i think i may just turn this tankinto a salt mixing station. more so if i cant get it to come clean.

The Grizz
01-24-2011, 10:50 PM
Check Rona for GE SCS 1200

ALang
01-24-2011, 10:55 PM
It there really any reason why we need to dilute vinegar before it using to soak coralline-encrusted items? I use vinegar straight, seems to work really well for soaking off all kinds of crud, including little shells attached on like barnicles!! I now keep a 5 gal pail ready just for that purpose.

The Grizz
01-25-2011, 12:17 AM
Check Rona for GE SCS 1200

I was told that this silicone is aquarium safe but still have not found where to get it or if it is.

lockrookie
01-25-2011, 12:30 AM
never hurts to look wheni get a chance to go to rona and home dumpo i willletyou know if i find it.

Aquattro
01-25-2011, 01:06 AM
I was told that this silicone is aquarium safe but still have not found where to get it or if it is.

It is safe, all Sea Star tanks have it. I've used it often myself.

The Grizz
01-25-2011, 02:18 AM
It is safe, all Sea Star tanks have it. I've used it often myself.

Where did you find it out there maybe it might help me to find it here.

lockrookie
01-25-2011, 02:44 AM
all is scraped off but i think some is embedded in the glass. for what its worth i appreciate all the ideas and help.

all in all i think i have decided the use for this tank im going to use it to mix salt water and i am going to build a closed loop for mixing. one thing ive noticed when mixing in a rubbermaid container it the sediment that builds on the bottom of the rubbermaid container which then flakes off and contaminates the fresh mixed water with white flakey particles. any ides how i would keep this from happening. ive thought about very high water presure shooting at the bottom of the tank but unsure if that would be enough. all i know its a bugger to clean when it builds up.

sorry to switch the feel of the thread i call it multiple thread personalty syndrom.

Big Tang
01-25-2011, 03:58 AM
Where did you find it out there maybe it might help me to find it here.

Hey grizz if you need some when you come to town let me know I have some clear 1200 .

The Grizz
01-25-2011, 04:40 AM
Hey grizz if you need some when you come to town let me know I have some clear 1200 .

Looking for the black, where did you find the clear?

Sorry LR for jacking your thread:twised:

As for your issue of crystals on the bottom of the tub / tank put a couple small power heads near the bottom at each end pointed towards the bottom.

lockrookie
01-25-2011, 05:12 AM
Sorry LR for jacking your thread:twised:

As for your issue of crystals on the bottom of the tub / tank put a couple small power heads near the bottom at each end pointed towards the bottom.

no worries hijack away we can turn this thread to teaching your clown fish to pole dance of your favourit sps coral.. as long as its informative have at it. lol

i was thinking a closed loop style mixing station with the outputs pointed to the tank bottom drilled into the bottom of the tank to reduce cost of purchasing powerheads. float valve from rodi to keep constant water level between water changes. some sort of chamber to hold the salt to pre mix then dump into tank in hopes of reducing teh scum on bottom of the tank.

in the process of drawing out a plan off attack. will also need to drill a spout to dump premixed water into buckets to the two tanks.. with possability of pumping it from basement to the upstairs from under bathroom sink.

curse you finished basement and drywalled ceilings.

Big Tang
01-25-2011, 06:48 AM
Both Edmonton fastners & Calgary fastners stock it.

The Grizz
01-25-2011, 06:31 PM
i was thinking a closed loop style mixing station with the outputs pointed to the tank bottom drilled into the bottom of the tank to reduce cost of purchasing powerheads. float valve from rodi to keep constant water level between water changes. some sort of chamber to hold the salt to pre mix then dump into tank in hopes of reducing teh scum on bottom of the tank.

in the process of drawing out a plan off attack. will also need to drill a spout to dump premixed water into buckets to the two tanks.. with possability of pumping it from basement to the upstairs from under bathroom sink.

curse you finished basement and drywalled ceilings.

Add some loc-line with fan nozzels to the closed loop then you can point them in any direction you want. I got a bunch of loc-line off e-bay REALLY cheap.

The Grizz
01-25-2011, 06:31 PM
Both Edmonton fastners & Calgary fastners stock it.

Cool maybe Red Deer Fastners can get it or have it too.

mr_alberta
01-26-2011, 12:26 AM
There is a product called "EZ-Clean" made by Deltec that works really well. Its just a powdered from of an acid that you mix with water and its aquarium safe.

any hints on removing dried coraline algea off glass other than vinager or razor blades this stuff is dried on hard like cement lol. i forsee lots of elbow grease in the future. as well i need some aquarium safe black sylicone where to find.