PDA

View Full Version : Can a damaged dorsal fin recover?

ScubaSteve
01-23-2011, 07:37 PM
So for the past year I've been fish sitting a friend's Goldstripe Maroon Clownfish. To put it nicely this fish is a $%^&ing !@#%$##.

Well, today ^%#er finally crossed the line and attacked my beautiful randall's goby who is by far my favourite fish in the tank. The clown did a pretty good number on my goby's nice big dorsal fin.

What I would like to know is, can a dorsal fin recover and regrow to an extent or do I now have a permanently mangled goby?

untamed
01-23-2011, 07:47 PM
I suppose it depends on the extent of the damage.

My experience is that fins heal remarkably quickly...within days.

Flash
01-23-2011, 08:04 PM
a sailfin we have at the store came in with no fin on top and it's growing back very nicely!

BlazingArrow
01-23-2011, 09:04 PM
The fin will regrow, but his pride never will. Unless you get that goby to muster up some gusto and take on the clownfish. Battle royale style. Haha. I will relieve you of your fish-sittin duties shortly ;)

toytech
01-24-2011, 07:17 PM
If some of the fin is left he will regrow it , i have a goby that was mauled by my hawkfish and he lost his little foot fin , hes realy shy now, taken him months jsut to come out when theres people around and he has a whole 15 gal to himself.

The Grizz
01-24-2011, 08:15 PM
I have a sailfin tang that had almost no dorsal fin at all when I got it, it is taking sometime to grow back but it is.......slowly