PDA

View Full Version : DSB VS BIOBALLS

Timbits
01-23-2011, 01:58 AM
Hey all, trying to decide which one to use for filtration on one of my systems. Factors include a large bio-load.

Which one do you prefer? and why? :biggrin:

Wayne
01-23-2011, 02:23 AM
Lots of live rock, really big skimmer and a reactor with gfo, np pellets or zeovit

naesco
01-23-2011, 02:37 AM
I would nix the bioballs as they simply add to nitrate problems.
DSB reduces nitrate problems, and the critters in the sand and their offspring provide food for coral and fish in your tank.

If you plan a large bioload, test often and do frequent water changes.

Vitaminz
01-23-2011, 02:39 AM
No on the bioballz....I use to have them in my sump and nixed them. Replaced with live rubble.

Jeff

Timbits
01-23-2011, 05:31 AM
what does nix mean?

No on the bioballz....I use to have them in my sump and nixed them. Replaced with live rubble.

Jeff

Wayne
01-23-2011, 05:53 AM
Means he ditched them. They need to be rinsed once a week to ensure they don't become a nitrate factory. They were used in the past, now live rock is used with a lot more success ;)

cwatkins
01-23-2011, 06:37 AM
I chuckle each time I see the huge pails of bio balls collecting dust on the top shelf at one of our LFS.

Timbits
01-23-2011, 07:30 AM
correct me if i am wrong but to my understanding sand has smaller particle size therefore greater surface area for beneficial bacteria to colonize so it is more effective than live rock? or are they the same? :confused:

Doug
01-23-2011, 02:08 PM
http://96.31.86.198/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=47

Just one of the threads from our superb reference library.

Yes, your correct that sand does have a large area for bacteria to colonize, but a dsb is not required for that purpose.

FWIW, many of us run bare bottomed and just use live rock for the same purpose. One theory is that if the tank/bottom is kept clean, less waste can decompose, thus less waste to create ammonia......nitrite.....so thus less nitrate.

Bioballs are extremely good at what they do, which is converting ammonia to nitrite and then to nitrate. Problem is without some form of denitrification, getting rid of the nitrates.

Timbits
01-26-2011, 12:01 AM
so i'm thinking of setting up a refugium in my sump just wondering how much sand do you guys usually put in?

is it the more the better?

just wondering how much sand do you need for nitrifying and denitrifying to take place? thanks

MitchM
01-26-2011, 12:16 AM
If you're setting up a refugium for some denitrifying benefits, I would suggest using fine sand, 4 inches depth. Be sure that no crabs or shrimp are in your refugium, because they will eat any beneficial life that takes up residence there.
The refugium will not be sufficient to take care of all the filtering requirements that your display tank requires, but it will be very interesting to watch what develops in there after a few months.
:smile:

Timbits
01-26-2011, 01:10 AM
If you're setting up a refugium for some denitrifying benefits, I would suggest using fine sand, 4 inches depth. Be sure that no crabs or shrimp are in your refugium, because they will eat any beneficial life that takes up residence there.
The refugium will not be sufficient to take care of all the filtering requirements that your display tank requires, but it will be very interesting to watch what develops in there after a few months.
:smile:

i have a 40 gallon breeder which i will plumb to a 25 gallon sump. i have a reef octopus extreme 160 skimmer which i will use. i plan on using this tank as a grow out for juvi clowns so there will be a huge bio-load. i want to keep the tank bare bottom so i can siphon out detritus as it builds up. you said the refugium will not be sufficient enough to take care of all the filtering requirements so what do you suggest i do for filtration? after putting the skimmer in the sump there isnt a lot of room so i was thinking of using a DSB and chaeto......

MitchM
01-26-2011, 01:16 AM
If you have an in sump skimmer and you wanted sand in there as well, were you going to bury the bottom of it in sand, or is there a separate compartment for the skimmer?

For filtration, you can use live rock, skimming, activated carbon, gfo (granular ferric oxide for phosphate removal) and water changes.

What were you planning on feeding the juvi clowns?

Timbits
01-26-2011, 06:41 AM
i was going to put in baffles and section it off. do you think a DSB and a lot of chaeto would be ok i dont really want to put any live rock as there isnt much room in the sump

the juvies will be fed a variety of foods from new spectrum pellets, flakes, brine shrimp, mysis, krill, and home made mush! :mrgreen:

If you have an in sump skimmer and you wanted sand in there as well, were you going to bury the bottom of it in sand, or is there a separate compartment for the skimmer?

For filtration, you can use live rock, skimming, activated carbon, gfo (granular ferric oxide for phosphate removal) and water changes.

What were you planning on feeding the juvi clowns?

MitchM
01-26-2011, 08:01 AM
The chaeto will help, definitely. The sand will be interesting to watch what develops.
You'll know that the sand bed is getting overwhelmed if detritus settles on it for any length of time (quick, like more than 1/2 hour).
Sand beds take a couple of months to develop before they can really start processing the waste.
If you're not placing any corals in there you could also incorporate some filter socks into your filter system.