PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion for Tank Mates

ScubaGirl
01-22-2011, 08:45 PM
Hello!

I got a gift certificate to the LFS for Christmas and want to get one or two new fish with it. I'm looking for suggestions. The LFS has a chalk basslet, a coral beauty and a flame angel in stock. Maybe the chalk with one of the angels? I've been doing research and checking compatibility and none of these are ideal for what I have from what I have read. Any of you had luck with these combos?

I currently have these fish:
1 Yellow tang
2 Clowns
1 Blue damsel
1 Canary Wrasse

Inverts:
Cleaner shrimp
Coral banded shrimp
Conch
Snails
Blue Hermit crabs (maybe 1-2 left)
Pom Pom Crab
Tuxedo urchin
and a sand sifting star fish

* I have my heart set on trying another clam one day now that I have the wrasse.

Corals:
Hammer
Xenia
Anthelia
Open Brain
Trumpet
A very cool single brown/white polyp that I don't remember the name of (Chaloupa help! LOL)

It's a 75 gallon tank with tons of live rock/caves/hiding. We don't have a huge amount of algae either. It's a happy little world in there right now so I don't want to get something that is going to bully or pick at the corals.

Any suggestion is greatly appreciated! I want to spend my Christmas $$$. :biggrin:

ScubaGirl
01-23-2011, 07:15 PM
bump :biggrin:

flipzed
01-23-2011, 08:39 PM
if u dont want any picking at corals, i wouldnt suggest getting ethier of the angels cause they deffenetly will pick at them, theres the odd chance they might not,,, but u take a risk

daniella3d
01-23-2011, 09:56 PM
Maybe a convict tang or a kole tang, those are of your aquarium size and peacefull fish.

not sure how your yellow would greet them though because yellow tangs can be nasty little buggers. Mine killed my mandarin just like that.

Hello!

I got a gift certificate to the LFS for Christmas and want to get one or two new fish with it. I'm looking for suggestions. The LFS has a chalk basslet, a coral beauty and a flame angel in stock. Maybe the chalk with one of the angels? I've been doing research and checking compatibility and none of these are ideal for what I have from what I have read. Any of you had luck with these combos?

I currently have these fish:
1 Yellow tang
2 Clowns
1 Blue damsel
1 Canary Wrasse

Inverts:
Cleaner shrimp
Coral banded shrimp
Conch
Snails
Blue Hermit crabs (maybe 1-2 left)
Pom Pom Crab
Tuxedo urchin
and a sand sifting star fish

* I have my heart set on trying another clam one day now that I have the wrasse.

Corals:
Hammer
Xenia
Anthelia
Open Brain
Trumpet
A very cool single brown/white polyp that I don't remember the name of (Chaloupa help! LOL)

It's a 75 gallon tank with tons of live rock/caves/hiding. We don't have a huge amount of algae either. It's a happy little world in there right now so I don't want to get something that is going to bully or pick at the corals.

Any suggestion is greatly appreciated! I want to spend my Christmas $$$. :biggrin:

ScubaGirl
01-23-2011, 10:03 PM
Thank you for the ideas. Those tangs are nice. We love our yellow tang. He certainly is a prize specimen so we don't want to stress him out too much.

Have any of you tried a canary wrasse with a chalk basslet with any luck?

naesco
01-24-2011, 02:20 AM
Maybe a convict tang or a kole tang, those are of your aquarium size and peacefull fish.

not sure how your yellow would greet them though because yellow tangs can be nasty little buggers. Mine killed my mandarin just like that.

Daniella, she has a small 75 gallon tank.

daniella3d
01-24-2011, 02:30 AM
Both the kole and convict are peacefull tangs, not aggressive. 75 gallons is what is recommanded for a convict or a kole, no problem as they only reach 7" max.

I have a 75 gallons, and I am going to get a kole. Recommanded tank size is 70 gallons.

Strange though that I read on liveaquaria.com that they are peacefull but then I read in the description that they are aggressive with other tangs. So I guess not a good match for a yellow tang.

whatcaneyedo
01-24-2011, 03:22 AM
That already seems pretty full to me. Several of those fish can be pretty territorial too. Save your money for a larger tank if you want to keep more fish. Thats my opinion.

ScubaGirl
01-25-2011, 06:14 AM
We picked up a little tiny naso tang. He's doing wonderful. The yellow tang and him hang out and then it's like the yellow scolds him occasionally. Nothing serious though. The biggest issue was where they were going to sleep the first night, LOL.

Thank you for your suggestions!

We are probably going to get a 90 or 150 gallon after this one. Just have some other priorities that come first. (Damn it, LOL)

daniella3d
01-25-2011, 11:37 AM
A naso in a 75 gallons? wow.. they become 2 feet long and even a 150 gallons would be tight.

We picked up a little tiny naso tang. He's doing wonderful. The yellow tang and him hang out and then it's like the yellow scolds him occasionally. Nothing serious though. The biggest issue was where they were going to sleep the first night, LOL.

Thank you for your suggestions!

We are probably going to get a 90 or 150 gallon after this one. Just have some other priorities that come first. (Damn it, LOL)

ScubaGirl
01-25-2011, 11:24 PM
Yes, we realize he may need to go to a new home eventually but he's pretty tiny right now. We'll be able to enjoy him for awhile.

daniella3d
01-26-2011, 12:21 AM
A very short while as they grow large fast and they are the type of tang that require the most swimming space.

It is not a good idea because you'll get attached to it and will have to sell it. That's why I am selling my hippo tang because I want to do it before I get too attached to it. I also have a 75 gallons reef and my hippo which is not supposed to grow fast, grew 1 inch in 2 months. it's now 3 1/2". Those fish need a lot of food and if they don't get it they will be stunted and difformed and will suffer from HLLE. If they do get the food, they will grow fast.

Yes, we realize he may need to go to a new home eventually but he's pretty tiny right now. We'll be able to enjoy him for awhile.

gobytron
01-26-2011, 02:07 PM
I say get the Kole Tang and name him Naesco and keep the pictures coming.

FYI, I have always kept a chalk bass or two and I have never witnessed them being aggressive with anything other than conspecifics or fish that look or are shaped like them.

ScubaGirl
01-29-2011, 04:04 AM
Well, we're seriously considering a 150 gallon tank so I'm not going to make any hasty decisions. The tank size may grow as the fish grow, LOL.

The 2 tangs are best of pals now and follow each other around. Pretty cute. Too late, we're already attached to "Junior". I have the Blonde Naso and one of our clowns eating from my hand now too. He's added a real personality to the tank for sure.

I'm really digging the chalk bass for some reason. When we up-grade I'll get one I think.

daniella3d
01-29-2011, 05:00 AM
lol! Hard to avoid falling for those cute naso! Looks like you have a 150 gallons in your future. That's the problem when we buy fish and they have a great personality...we can't avoid getting attached.

Too late, we're already attached to "Junior". I have the Blonde Naso and one of our clowns eating from my hand now too. He's added a real personality to the tank for sure.

KevinK
01-29-2011, 03:17 PM
Well, we're seriously considering a 150 gallon tank so I'm not going to make any hasty decisions. The tank size may grow as the fish grow, LOL.

The 2 tangs are best of pals now and follow each other around. Pretty cute. Too late, we're already attached to "Junior". I have the Blonde Naso and one of our clowns eating from my hand now too. He's added a real personality to the tank for sure.

I'm really digging the chalk bass for some reason. When we up-grade I'll get one I think.

progressive has a killer deal on there 180.
when the $ is there to do it all, if not, if the $ is there to at least get the tank, put it aside for a while.

my 350 is also for sale in a few months (I think at least) but you have to get it out. as we are hoping to move, and from there go for a bigger tank

daniella3d
01-29-2011, 03:32 PM
bigger than 350 gallons!?? wow! Hope you will do a tank thread when you strat that monster. What is the price deal on the 180 gallons?

my 350 is also for sale in a few months (I think at least) but you have to get it out. as we are hoping to move, and from there go for a bigger tank

ScubaGirl
01-30-2011, 12:37 PM
I think maybe 350 might be a little too ambitious for us this time around. Would LOVE all the action in it though. One day maybe.....

:)

Aquattro
01-30-2011, 01:12 PM
progressive has a killer deal on there 180.

Ya, this is a pretty good deal. Anyone looking for a 180 should look into it.