PDA

View Full Version : 250W halide - too much?

FishyFishy!
01-22-2011, 02:12 PM
I'm looking for thoughts on wether a 250W halide light would be too much over my 10 gallon nano.

Recently my crocea clam has started having pretty long extension of its mantle, even being 3" below a 70W fish needit halide pendant.

pelle31
01-22-2011, 02:25 PM
I imagine heat would be an issue if the light was close to the water. I have a 250 above my 30 gallon about a foot away from the water surface and the temp stays between 73 and 75. Then again thats in my basement. I'm sure the clam would love that amount of light.

riceboy
01-22-2011, 02:38 PM
I agree with pelle31, I used to have a 250 over my 8.9 gallon nano and everything looked great, but I had to use a big fan fight next to the light and that would cool it of. But one day my fan stopped working and within an hour of me going downstairs to grab something to eat the temperature spiked to like 90f and nuked my whole tank. Just something to think about man.

I imagine heat would be an issue if the light was close to the water. I have a 250 above my 30 gallon about a foot away from the water surface and the temp stays between 73 and 75. Then again thats in my basement. I'm sure the clam would love that amount of light.