PDA

View Full Version : What's the best way to get rid of red bubble algie

isaac1
01-21-2011, 07:28 PM
I've finally got the red slime algie only sand under control and out of the tank but as for the bubbles on the live rock I can't seem to get rid of it I talked to the local fs and they told me alot of people are having bad out breaks right now so my question is, should I let it work it's self out or is there a way to take action I've been doing frequent 10% water changes every three days to get rid of the slim on the sand and I've only been runningy lights 1 hour a day

Rogue951
01-21-2011, 07:33 PM
I would think the same as any other algae treatment, reduce excess nutrients.
Are you using RO water?
If "a lot of people" are having outbreaks that sounds like a source problem. it can't be coincidence. Either it's coming in on the livestock you're buying or you're all using the same source water.

axe_man16
01-21-2011, 07:47 PM
I have a bit of red bubble algae in my tank. I usualy cover the bubble with the open end of a turkey baster, give the bubble a scrape and suck everything up at the same time. This makes sure that the bubble doesn't release its spores into the tank. I can only do this for the algae I can get at, but it seems to help. You can try an emerald crab, but i have been told they tend to nip corals the odd time.

Chin_Lee
01-21-2011, 07:56 PM
a large tang ie naso or sailfin. my sailfin keeps ALL nuisance algae in check in my tank. Love the guy

Maverick00
01-22-2011, 02:00 AM
I have the same issue. i recently picked up a couple emerald crabs and have seen them pick away at the smaller bulbs but nothing to substantial. Going in there manually to try to get them off the rocks seems to be the best way ive found..

eli@fijireefrock.com
01-22-2011, 02:39 AM
a large tang ie naso or sailfin. my sailfin keeps ALL nuisance algae in check in my tank. Love the guy

I second this.
I too have a sailfin not that I ever had any algae problem.
Anu kind of greens goes in the tank,it's gone within 1/2hr.

Skimmerking
01-22-2011, 04:32 AM
FOxface will
Orange Shoulder will
Sailfin wil
Emeralds hit and miss
these are the ones that i have had luck with

eli@fijireefrock.com
01-22-2011, 04:39 AM
Actually one of my favorite is the Hawaiian blue tang i had one years ago and honestly that was the top of them all in grasing all day anything green. Only my experience.

Samw
01-22-2011, 07:30 AM
I had a red bubble algae outbreak. For me, I put a lemonpeel angel in my tank and watched him pick apart bubble algae over the next 2 weeks. It was unexpected. But of course, they aren't 100% reefsafe. I'm not going to suggest getting one for eating the algae though. I'm just documenting the behavior.

isaac1
01-22-2011, 04:33 PM
Makes sense I just use treated tap water I've been doing small water changes every two days to rid nutrients I'm barley feeding my chromis but I'm going to try the turkey Baster idea

Rogue951
01-22-2011, 04:55 PM
Makes sense I just use treated tap water I've been doing small water changes every two days to rid nutrients I'm barley feeding my chromis but I'm going to try the turkey Baster idea

What's your definition of treated tap water? Using prime r some other conditioner? If so then that's most likey the problem there. Should look into RO filter.

Lampshade
01-22-2011, 05:19 PM
my emerald won't touch the stuff. My bariene tang is loving it though, eats my hair algee, bubble algee... everything.

PoonTang
01-22-2011, 09:13 PM
My experience with it is that if you don't remove the base it simply grows back. It seems to have a base structure that looks like a piece of red corraline and the bubble grows from this by way of a little thread structure. Unless you totally remove the base it seems to regrow in no time at all.

isaac1
01-22-2011, 09:42 PM
Ya unfortunately I just have prime and stability how much do the ro filters cost I've been told about them but never realy looked into it also how bad is red algie for the tank will it kill my corals