PDA

View Full Version : Banded cat shark

gzsick
01-21-2011, 02:52 PM
Hi there, does anyone know of where I can find a 12-15 inch banded cat shark in or around the city? Thanks so much
PS-yes, i know they need a 180 gallon or larger tank.

paddyob
01-21-2011, 03:07 PM
Why repost... just bump your old thread. You had responses last time.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=70004

paddyob
01-21-2011, 03:35 PM
And 180 is the MINIMUM tank size. These babies get 4' long and are a high maintenance animal.

Having a big tank is not good enough. TOP END filtration is also required.

I was talking to an LFS once about them, and they told me if I spent on the proper set up, they would GIVE me the shark.

Sharks, due to their feeding requirements, can cause a clean tank to go dirty really fast.

Just a consideration.

The shark is cheap... but if you just want a shark because its cool... consider if you are able to actually keep it alive.

If you can. It will be an awesome display and I wish you luck.

I, myself, would love one... but I know that it is better left to HUGE aquariums.

Good luck. I hope you are truly prepared and not adding it to a tank not suitable.

Good luck in your hunting. Again.

Funky_Fish14
01-22-2011, 11:44 AM
Hmm, a 180?

I suggest you do a little bit of reading before. Think about a 3ft + fish trying to turn around in a tank that is only 2ft wide. This is the smallest commonly available true shark in the hobby. It WILL exceed 3 feet if well cared for. It needs swimming room. I would say that at 12-14" it should already be in a tank at least 6ft long x 18" wide, minimum.

Everything Patrick outlined is also true.

There are many other species of slightly more aggressive or cool looking critters you can try if you are looking for a type of predator. Some ideas that come to mind:
- Dragon Wrasse
- Groupers of all types (really cool ones, like miniatus groupers even, bright red with bright blue spots, and yet still a 'machine')
- Leopard grouper

There are many types of large wrasses, groupers, parrot fish (saltwater), that would be pretty cool to try in a 180, or even some of the smaller eels in the moray family.

Good luck, and please reconsider the shark!

Chris

Wayne
01-22-2011, 02:51 PM
Big Al's had Sharks in a 2000G aquarium. I realise that Live Aquaria suggests a minimum of a 180 but I really think you should be somewhere closer to 500G IMO (about 6'W x 6'L x 2'H)

You should talk with Ken at Blue World I know he has one (not sure if its for sale) and he can get them. At least get the education so you know what you are in for.

Flash
01-22-2011, 08:37 PM
Our shark at blue world won't be going to any tank under 200gl.. Aiming for 400gl. They get 3.5-4 feet. I know I won't sell him to just anyone. I am sure Ken will back me up on that.

triggereef
01-22-2011, 08:44 PM
+1 bean
totally agreed. This shark has grown considerably since he was born and should not be placed in a tank under 200g even though many websites will beg to differ. It also has to be big enough for the shark to be able to turn around in the tank, so a square tank would be best. as well perfect tank conditions should be taken into consideration.

Taylor.

Funky_Fish14
01-22-2011, 09:16 PM
Just for the record, that tank at big al's is NOT 2000gal. It is 1346gal. I went in and measured it personally one time. Tank is 10x6x3tall.

A fish 3ft long really should be in a way bigger tank than even 4 or 500 gallons.

First of all the obvious, the bigger the tank, the better. AT LEAST three times the length and twice the width of the maximum size of the species you have in mind...

This quote was taken from an article on wetwebmedia.com and written by Bob Fenner and is well supported with references. This is probably the mimimum reccomendation I have ever seen for swimming space too. I remember in one 'coral' magazine (or maybe tropical fish hobbyiest?) they suggest 5x the length x 3x the width. The fish just will not do well without the swimming room, or live to their full potential.

Article link:
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/sharks.htm

Cheers,

Chris

Wayne
01-22-2011, 09:27 PM
Just for the record, that tank at big al's is NOT 2000gal. It is 1346gal. I went in and measured it personally one time. Tank is 10x6x3tall. Chris

Oops my bad :( I can honestly say I have never measured their tank ;)

Funky_Fish14
01-22-2011, 09:36 PM
Oops my bad :( I can honestly say I have never measured their tank ;)

Haha nono, no worries at all! I capitalized 'not' because im sick of big al's claiming that. :lol: I knew it wasnt that big when I saw it and after estimating a few times I was thinking what the heck, it cant be that much smaller than they claim... so I had to measure it. :lol:

Wayne
01-22-2011, 09:51 PM
LOL they are only 700 gallons off :)

Funky_Fish14
01-22-2011, 10:11 PM
Thats like taking a 180, cutting 2 or 2.5ft off it, and still calling it a 180! :lol:

gzsick
04-17-2011, 09:18 PM
While I appreciate everyone's help/concern, keep one thing in mind, I didn't get into the hobby yesterday, when i said 180 gallons or larger, I meant 180 is the min. size, and i only said that part because i don't wanna have a bunch of replies on what their husbandry requirements are (like i did get). I used to work at a public aquarium and i know a thing or two. Next time, please listen more carefully to my question, i just wanna know if anyone has one....nothing else. FYI, I will not reconsider buying it and they get 3.5 ft not 4 ft. oh and it's one of the smallest common sharks, not THE smallest one, there's one that maxes out at 27 inches.
Thanks

paddyob
04-17-2011, 09:51 PM
Really? Which one?

A lot if people make claims. I never trust a "self appointed" expert.

If you are so knowledgable why have you not just approached one of our city's well known shops... As any knowledgable reefer would do when looking for something that special?