PDA

View Full Version : Unwanted crabs...?

Jenn_737700
01-21-2011, 03:22 AM
So I have this 10g nano reef, and its all cycled and everything, but I have some crabs. A teddybear crab which is only about half an inch, im not too worried. But this other brown one is an inch and a half ( a hitchhiker crab? ) I caught it with a net. But im not sure what to do with it? I know it sounds dumb, but, like do I flush it? what do I do? also, how do I get rid of a bristleworm?

Thanks for your help:biggrin:

Wayne
01-21-2011, 03:33 AM
I give my bristleworms a taste of freshwater as they go down the toilet (I HATE them all) :lol: The unwanted crab could suffer the same fate, I would consider giving it away first though.

Aquattro
01-21-2011, 03:47 AM
I'm trying really hard to find some bristleworms for my tank, not sure why you'd want to get rid of them. As for crabs, I leave mine alone until I catch them doing something bad.

whatcaneyedo
01-21-2011, 03:48 AM
Ask around in your area to see if anyone has an octopus or mantis shrimp that they could feed the crab to. That would be the best way to get rid of it in my opinion... Most bristle worms are harmless. Innocent until proven guilty.

toytech
01-21-2011, 03:52 AM
Everyone seems to be drinking the bristleworm haterade latley , i have hundereds in my 15 gal nano they come out of everywhere , the rocks ,the sand , and honestly the tank has never been so clean .Any leftover food is gone in minutes , and they dont bother my corals or fish .Granted if they get big they get REALLY creepy but i wouldent worry about the little ones , and besides if theres one there are probably many , many , more .

Bloodasp
01-21-2011, 04:03 AM
I wonder why I spend a lot of time saving bristle worms from being flushed down the drain every time I clean my tank. I don't really see a reason why one would take those guys out.

Jenn_737700
01-21-2011, 04:44 AM
Thanks everyone :) yeah ill probably leave the worms alone and see if anyone wants the crab.

GMGQ
01-21-2011, 09:31 PM
I have/had a MONSTER crab at the back of my 70gallon. I saw him a few months ago, but I havent seen him lately (then again I havent been looking). His shell is about the size of an Extra Large Chicken Egg (yes it's actually oval shaped like an egg).

What's freaky is that I recently found a snail cemetary at the back right corner of my tank! I was reaching back there to find some rubble, and I grabbed a HANDFUL of shells :S There's too many of them in that corner to be a coincidence. Then I was looking through one of the caves around there, and saw a conch shell and some other shells SHOVED into a crevice in the cave. WTF!!! It's like this crab is displaying his hunting trophies in his cave. Maybe I'll call him the Predator...

I recently got 2 turbo snails... So we'll see if they survive in a couple of weeks...