PDA

View Full Version : anyone need cheap aragonite sand??

christyf5
09-27-2001, 03:12 PM
Hey have you guys ever heard of http://www.purearagonite.com
I just found it on the reefcentral BB. Apparently this place is selling 40lb bags of aragonite sand for $11.95US and if you buy more than 4 bags you get one for free. Anyone need aragonite?? I'm thinking about upgrading to a 50G tank and only need 3 bags. Although I guess the borders are a bit stickier than they used to be eh? images/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Christy images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Aquattro
09-27-2001, 03:28 PM
Christy, I looked into this sand and although it is the same sand as caribsea/southdown, the shipping puts it at the same price as buying from J&L. Remember, sand is really heavy.
I just got 150# of sand but it has been treated with copper. I'm going to try and acid wash it and hopefully be able to use it.

Troy F
09-27-2001, 07:45 PM
Hi Brad,

I wouldn't chance it. According to what I've read copper binds with everything and has different levels of solubility with different temps and pH. Also, if it is aragonite the acid will desolve it won't it?

Aquattro
09-27-2001, 10:04 PM
Troy, I've acid washed things before with success, but with the grain size of this stuff, I suspect you might be right about it dissolving. Acid dissolves the outer layer of the substrate removing the copper with it. I think this sand would disappear without the outer layer<g>.
Really sucks...apparently some local aquarium care service treated this guy's 135 full of sand and live rock with the copper. Copper killed everything in the rock, which rotted and killed all the fish and contaminated the sand to boot!!
I got it dirt cheap figuring I could clean it. we'll see.....