PDA

View Full Version : ok so I have a DSB dilemma

KevinK
01-21-2011, 12:56 AM
when everything is going according to plan, I will replace my current frag tank (including DSB) with a new and larger tank.

now the thing is, do I invest in new sand to build a new DSB, ore do I leave the new tank a BB.

the entire set up (about 450 gal total at this time (display and frag tank with DSB) is now about 19 months old.

the dilemma is that we will put the house on the market in about 2 months, and when everything is going the way we hope, we will move as well.

so do I invest in everything new, knowing it is only for a few months, ore do I try to run it without a DSB for the time it will be, and than after the moving, it is worth to invest in it again.

this all, as I cant find anyone that recommends using the existing DSB by moving it over, so if I invest in a new DSB now, it would only become a healthy DSB in a few months, and at that time it has to come out again.

overall I wonder if there is any use to the existing DSB sand, can I ever use it again (after rinsing it over and over, and let it sit for a while) ore is it something I can use in the yard and that's it

i have crabs
01-21-2011, 01:05 AM
id leave it out if your moving again soon, ive washed and reused sand plenty of times but youll probably have a cycle because of it no matter how good its washed so id wash it toss it in some buckets and save it for later

phi delt reefer
01-21-2011, 01:06 AM
wait it out. 450 gallons is a big setup - I can only imagine the amount of sand you are using.

Cleaning sand is easy but tedious - especially in large volumes.

heres the run down;

http://www.reefaddicts.com/content.php/258-How-to-Rinse-and-Reuse-an-Old-Sandbed

Pretty much you need a bunch of buckets, lots of time, a garden hose and patience.

I dunno what you paid for your sand but be ready to waste an entire weekend doing it if not more (still cant wrap my mind around how much sand you will need to move/clean, lol)

KevinK
01-21-2011, 01:14 AM
wait it out. 450 gallons is a big setup - I can only imagine the amount of sand you are using.

Cleaning sand is easy but tedious - especially in large volumes.

heres the run down;

http://www.reefaddicts.com/content.php/258-How-to-Rinse-and-Reuse-an-Old-Sandbed

Pretty much you need a bunch of buckets, lots of time, a garden hose and patience.

I dunno what you paid for your sand but be ready to waste an entire weekend doing it if not more (still cant wrap my mind around how much sand you will need to move/clean, lol)

the DSB is not in the main tank, the main tank has only 1 ore max 2 inches, it is my frag tank that holds the DSB, it mesures 16 x 36 inches and holds 5 inches of sand, so in general it is not that much sand, apr 12 gal of sand

for the new frag tank I want to ad about 50lbs more sand and mix it (sop 12 gal + about 8 to 10 gal, in total about 20 to 22 gal sand for the new DSB, ore no DSB) and wait untill moved to redo it

what might be an alternative is to first ad the new sand, and mix it with 2 gal of old sand, than let it run for a week, than ad each week a 2 more gal of old sand on top of it

yet an other option would be to vacuum out inch by inch of the old DSB, put each inch of sand in a separate bin, put the new tank in place and ad the bin that was the bottom sand, and than build it back up from the deepest sand first and the more shallow sand on top.

all things to consider

phi delt reefer
01-21-2011, 01:35 AM
16x36x5 = 158lbs of sand (if you are using a density of 95lbs/sqft - this is the density of the sand ECO REEFER carries - aka Bahamas Fine Sand - also i used their sand bed calculator to do the math)

at 50 cents a pound thats about $80
at 75 cents a pound thats $120

so lets say $100 bucks.

If you have a large tote and siphon out a 5 gallon bucket at a time it will probably take a full day.

Problem is that you live in Good Ole Canada. Its FREEZING outside and will be for the next three months. So i would suggest waiting it out as long as possible than doing it in one move when you get the house. I dunno about you but doing this in the laundry room sink just doesn't seem like it will end will.

OR put an offer in for your new home less $100 and buy some new stuff :mrgreen:

KevinK
01-21-2011, 01:50 AM
16x36x5 = 158lbs of sand (if you are using a density of 95lbs/sqft - this is the density of the sand those dry rock places carry - aka Bahamas Fine Sand)

at 50 cents a pound thats about $80
at 75 cents a pound thats $120

so lets say $100 bucks.

If you have a large tote and siphon out a 5 gallon bucket at a time it will probably take a full day.

Problem is that you live in Good Ole Canada. Its FREEZING outside and will be for the next three months. So i would suggest waiting it out as long as possible than doing it in one move when you get the house. I dunno about you but doing this in the laundry room sink just doesn't seem like it will end will.

OR put an offer in for your new home less $100 and buy some new stuff :mrgreen:

in case interested, you can get a nice tank with the house. if not, I proubably have to trash the tank, put all livestock in tubs and small other tanks, and at the new house, se if a 5.5 feet square tank fit, and build that with 2 glass pannels and everything ells fiberglass (having the tank come out a wall on a 45 degree angle, meaning pointing out into the living room ore so, and the other back point into a filter room.

but this is what i would like, dont know if it is pouseble.

I could do the 12 gal by hand in the sink, rinsing one gallon should not take longer than 10 minutes, if not 5, so 12 should be feseble in 2 houres,

thing is, is it wise to do this (as I read also that some crash there entire tank)

at this time I'm a bit leaning towards leaving the DSB out, to avoid the risk of a crash, ore start a new one but with new sand, not the old.

when you calculate it, even $ 150 to $ 180 for new sand is cheaper to do than to buy all new coral.

but than again, the delemma would be, is it worth it (not for the $) but for the tank, to put a new DSB in for a few months, ore gust no DSB for a few months. I could compensate the DSB for the time it will be wit a bit more GFO, Carbon and bio pellets

Borderjumper
01-21-2011, 01:57 AM
You could buy new sand.. And then over the next few months rinse your old sand and get it cycling in a tote.. Then reuse that sand when you move.

I'm going to rinse out the sand from my broken tank,, it's been sitting in a bucket on the roof for a month... Bet it stinks! And use it along with new, but the tank will cycle for a few weeks before I add any corals to it.

I tried BB once and I could never get my phosphates and nitrates under control. Once I went back to sand I guess it gave more surface for good bacteria to grow.. And nitrates and phosphates leveled out.

Aquattro
01-21-2011, 01:57 AM
You don't NEED a deep sand bed, so if you want to remove it, take it out. It will contain bacteria that has been processing waste, so you may need to do an extra water change. But leaving it out is fine. If you add a new one, it would probably take 2 months at least to fully mature, and then you're moving it again.

KevinK
01-21-2011, 02:04 AM
You don't NEED a deep sand bed, so if you want to remove it, take it out. It will contain bacteria that has been processing waste, so you may need to do an extra water change. But leaving it out is fine. If you add a new one, it would probably take 2 months at least to fully mature, and then you're moving it again.

this is in deed the thing, puting new in, and then having to take it out again.

rinsing the existing and putting it back, might also post som risk.

when removing it, I can isolate the tank and take it all out, no mix with the tank

Aquattro
01-21-2011, 02:05 AM
Take the old out, put it in a rubbermaid, then wash it just before adding it back at the new place. If you buy new sand, you still need to wash it, so might as well wash what you have.

Borderjumper
01-21-2011, 02:06 AM
[QUOTE=KevinK;583849]this is in deed the thing, puting new in, and then having to take it out again.

rinsing the existing and putting it back, might also post som risk.

when removing it, I can isolate the tank and take it all out, no mix with the tank[/

I'm going sand shopping next week..:mrgreen:

KevinK
01-21-2011, 02:07 AM
You could buy new sand.. And then over the next few months rinse your old sand and get it cycling in a tote.. Then reuse that sand when you move.

I'm going to rinse out the sand from my broken tank,, it's been sitting in a bucket on the roof for a month... Bet it stinks! And use it along with new, but the tank will cycle for a few weeks before I add any corals to it.

I tried BB once and I could never get my phosphates and nitrates under control. Once I went back to sand I guess it gave more surface for good bacteria to grow.. And nitrates and phosphates leveled out.

in case I go for rinsing (i will do some more reading) do we from VIc have to worry about using our tap water, ore would I havve to make 200gal of RO/DI water to rins it out

Borderjumper
01-21-2011, 02:18 AM
Tap water is fine for rinsing.. Rinse really good tho.. Remember that fresh water is killing everything in the sand.. I still would let it cycle for a while to get rid of all the trapped stuff you just made dead with freshwater.. I wonder if your going to use it immediately if it would be better rinsing in saltwater as not to kill everything?

KevinK
01-21-2011, 02:36 AM
Tap water is fine for rinsing.. Rinse really good tho.. Remember that fresh water is killing everything in the sand.. I still would let it cycle for a while to get rid of all the trapped stuff you just made dead with freshwater.. I wonder if your going to use it immediately if it would be better rinsing in saltwater as not to kill everything?

I could in fact put it in a 45 gal drum after rinsing, put a pump on it and heater (even rins it wit salt water),

run it for 2 weeks while stirring it dayly and maybe even refreshing the water in it each 2 ore 3 days to get as much dead stuf out before introducing it back in the new frag tank ( and I can do the introduction in a gallon eacg few days, covering my bsck several ways

KevinK
01-26-2011, 01:26 AM
so the solution is:

at can. tire and home dep. thy sell the plastic organiser towers with draws

the draws are 14 inches and 7 inches tall, holding 3.5 gallons

it fits exactly 5 draws beside each other in my frag tank.

each draw will hold a DSB of the 7 inches (3.5 gal x 5 = 17.5 gallon of substrate

fingers X that we sell the house in 2 ore 3 months, I can gust take the draws out of my frag tank, and move them wherever I need to, without disturbing the DSB, as i can gust put them back in a sump ore other frag tank.

this way i can put a new DSB in my tank at this time, and don't have to worry about having to disturb the sanded again when we move