PDA

View Full Version : NEED some help on a tank and sump set-up

azulikit
01-20-2011, 06:08 PM
Thanks for taking the time to read this and hopefully you have some ideas for me on a reef set-up. I've attached some pics so you can have an understanding of what I'm trying to accomplish.

I want to go from my non-drilled tank to a drilled tank set-up to support a sump. I would prefer a very clean look that is functional, quiet and low maintenance. The tank will be viewed from front and back with the sides hidden and not accessible. I want to do it right so I don't mind spending a little to get it right.

Tank - 48"x21"x28.5" Where exactly do I want to put the overflow and return piping on a set-up like this? Back of the tank on each side and use black backing to hide the corners?

Sump - At a minimum in the sump area I would like a skimmer, phosban reactor, heater, pumps, bags and probes. The center section should probably stay to support the tank therefore I think only the left and right hand areas (14" long x 28 3/4" high each) are useable. I could drill holes on the center section for plumbing if required. I guess as the space is limited so may be the sump set-up? Any other equipment ideas welcomed.

Thanks!

Skimmerking
01-20-2011, 06:15 PM
The tank yuou can have the overflow box made to fit the outside so the box doesn't take up any room in the tank.
- the lumbing can run down the sides and have the return come up the other side and since that tank is set up like that its realy easy to hide all the pipes.
- some tanks cant be drilled from the bottom , however this is why you drill the side of the tank to house the overflow box on the outside.

what you can do id google external overflows on the side of aquariums and then that should give you a good start.

PM Grizz on here and Marine Apprentice they live in Red Deer and are experts on this.

paddyob
01-20-2011, 06:27 PM
nice set up. great access panels. Although I am not the one to give advice on revamping your system, I can tell you that there are definitely a lot of options based on the space you have.... unless the back side is a office or something?

azulikit
01-20-2011, 07:29 PM
[QUOTE=Skimmer King;583688]The tank yuou can have the overflow box made to fit the outside so the box doesn't take up any room in the tank.
- the lumbing can run down the sides and have the return come up the other side and since that tank is set up like that its realy easy to hide all the pipes.
- some tanks cant be drilled from the bottom , however this is why you drill the side of the tank to house the overflow box on the outside.

Skimmer King - I totally see how the external overflow could be a cleaner look than the internal. The sides of the tank really aren't accessible, only three-four inches back there. It was difficult just to get the Rena XP3 hoses along the sides. Getting the box in there and if any maintenance was required it would almost be impossible. I guess I could look into modifying this but may be a bit of wood work. Hopefully I'm reading you right on this. Thanks for the reply.

The Grizz
01-20-2011, 08:07 PM
So first things first, the tank looks like a bow front tank. If it is you will not be able to drill the bottom. All bow front where made with tempered bottom glass.

If your are able to view the back as well I would suggest to put the overflow in the middle of one of the side's. Put in a 1 1/2" bulk head, you will have to put a 90 degree elbow on both side's of the bulk head. 1 going up on the inside of the tank and 1 going down on the outside of the tank. To keep you overflow small I would do a durso stand pipe. For the return I would come up the otherside also in the middle with a 1" bulkhead and 2 - 1/2" loc-lines inside the tank for the return.

Just my thoughts and ideas. :biggrin:

azulikit
01-20-2011, 08:31 PM
I should have been more clear.....

This tank comes out, new one goes in, built to suit. It will be square, not a Bow Front as seen on the pic.

The Grizz
01-20-2011, 08:44 PM
Even better if you want a front and back viewable tank what about a center overflow with your return coming back up threw it and out the sides of the overflow?

azulikit
01-20-2011, 09:19 PM
Grizz - I like the idea of a side or corner internal overflow better I think. I was looking at a few center overflows and I think it takes away from the viewing a bit. Looking from the back (although not the primary viewing area) I think it may not look the greatest. The center would probably be a little more efficient I guess and take less tank space. Really a toss up at this point, beating my head over it. I'm sure I could be convinced to go that way however. What do you think about the lower cabinet area. Do I utilize both left and right sides, two sumps plumbed together, one sump or two independent. Thanks

The Grizz
01-20-2011, 09:52 PM
PM Grizz on here and Marine Apprentice they live in Red Deer and are experts on this.

Missed this earlier, :mrgreen: by no means an expert but I can come up with some so so ideas:idea: Thanks SK for the koodos.

The Grizz
01-20-2011, 10:01 PM
Grizz - I like the idea of a side or corner internal overflow better I think. I was looking at a few center overflows and I think it takes away from the viewing a bit. Looking from the back (although not the primary viewing area) I think it may not look the greatest. The center would probably be a little more efficient I guess and take less tank space. Really a toss up at this point, beating my head over it. I'm sure I could be convinced to go that way however. What do you think about the lower cabinet area. Do I utilize both left and right sides, two sumps plumbed together, one sump or two independent. Thanks

OK well.... if it was me ...... I would really strongly look at removing the shelf's and the divider, reinforce the top of the stand and put in a couple 2x2 piece's where the center door attaches to. This would open your space up allowing you to do your sump with an external pump and give you more options as far as reactors and such if you did not want them in the sump. Personally I would only have one sump but if you were thinking of a refugium it could be a smaller tanks on its own, pump feed and gravity return.

Again just my 2 cents for what its worth.

azulikit
01-20-2011, 10:12 PM
Yes, I would agree. I will look at doing that, thanks.

The Grizz
01-20-2011, 10:17 PM
If you need some help with the planning and if I am available to come into town let me know.

Skimmerking
01-20-2011, 10:41 PM
If you need some help with the planning and if I am available to come into town let me know.

that is why he and M.A. is a expert you can use them there instead of me typing and talking one on one is alot better so yes you are best means the expert GRIZZY. you are there..

Skimmerking
01-20-2011, 10:45 PM
hey now that you say that there is a new tank going in there:mrgreen:. is there a way to make a mini door on the left or right of it that you can access the side of the tank say on one side have like a fake door on each side then you can have the over flow box and plumbing going down .

Skimmerking
01-20-2011, 10:50 PM
quick and dirty the doors are connected to the wall for access

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e122/asmodeus338/150%20MIXED%20INWALL/240%2096x24x24/stand.jpg

The Grizz
01-20-2011, 10:51 PM
hey now that you say that there is a new tank going in there:mrgreen:. is there a way to make a mini door on the left or right of it that you can access the side of the tank say on one side have like a fake door on each side then you can have the over flow box and plumbing going down .

Good idea :idea:

the marine apprentice
01-20-2011, 11:31 PM
i really like the idea of the the false doors on the one side but the other side cant be done i dont think. i have seen chads tank a few times and it is tight quarters in there. and i am sure anyway that he wants to do it will look awesome.

thanks mike for the compliment. i love doing stuff like this it is fun and i like the challange.
so chad if ya need to get ahold of me ya know my cell flip me a text ill be home tomorrow night for the weekend. let me know.

Skimmerking
01-20-2011, 11:36 PM
ya exactly false doors are really cool and you can also do crown molding around the tank and wainscoting i will dig up a pic of my buddies tank .

azulikit
01-21-2011, 06:48 PM
Ya great idea S.K. but M.A is right. I don't think there is enough room. Might have to be a total tear down, lol. Thanks S.K. (and all) for the thoughts and time on this. Grizz, appreciate your offer, PM me next time your around and got a few minutes to spare. M.A. coming by later so hopefully we will get it figured.