PDA

View Full Version : ESV BIONIC seawater system salt

phi delt reefer
01-20-2011, 02:08 PM
anyone use this stuff in Canada? I like the concept of mixing your own salt and adjusting certain components as needed.

Does anyone even carry this stuff up here? I called JL but they said they have no intentions on carrying it even though they have other ESV products.

I would prefer sticking to one salt but I dont want to go over the border every time i need the stuff.

phi delt reefer
01-20-2011, 09:35 PM
https://supportforums.motorola.com/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/2-141875-2591/Bump_Mario.gif

brianlow
04-26-2011, 06:30 AM
I'm also interested in finding a Canadian dealer.

phi delt reefer
04-26-2011, 11:02 AM
there isnt any and no one seems to be interested in shipping salt up from the US vs. importing it from all over the world :)

i just drove across the border and had premium aquatics deliver it to the border. I have yet to use it but i have heard nothing but good things about it.

viperfish
04-26-2011, 12:41 PM
I'm with you on this one, this stuff looks very interesting. Here's a good review http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2010/5/review

phi delt reefer
04-26-2011, 12:47 PM
i'll post a video review when i mix my first batch. Supposidly its ready to use after thirty minutes of mixing.

only con i see so far is the really cheap boxes they use to package the stuff. comes packaged in two boxes - each box wieghs close to 50lbs (makes 200 gallons) and they look like they have been through hell and back.

I will need to source some of those pump heads they use on the "bleach style" jugs to make things a little easier in the measuring and mixing stage.

Aquaria
04-26-2011, 08:40 PM
After reading about this salt my only question is wth are the LFS thinking not carrying this stuff it sounds like heaven in a bucket or in this case buckets lol I wanna use this stuff in my nano Sounds awesome

brianlow
04-27-2011, 03:11 AM
For the die-hards: premiumaquatics sells the 200 gallon package for about $160 with shipping.

phi delt reefer
04-27-2011, 10:51 AM
lol i bought my 200 gallon kit for $71.99 shipped to the border.

I called ESV directly a while back to see if any Canadian retailer showed interest in carrying the product. They told me no one has ordered it or had any orders pending.

Also - when i ordered my batch from Premium Aquatics they advised they cant keep the stuff in stock for more than a week. Most of their "future shipments" are already pre-sold before they even arrive.

brianlow
04-30-2011, 06:18 AM
What is the opened shelf life of this salt mix? (It would take me a long time to use the 200 gallon mix).

phi, did this come in two boxes of 100 gallon mix? Perhaps I could sell half.

phi delt reefer
04-30-2011, 02:47 PM
200 gallon mix comes like this;

box 1 - pure salt;
http://i992.photobucket.com/albums/af43/vinceispatel/P1000558.jpg

http://i992.photobucket.com/albums/af43/vinceispatel/P1000557-1.jpg

box 2 - mag/calcium/alk
http://i992.photobucket.com/albums/af43/vinceispatel/P1000555.jpg

http://i992.photobucket.com/albums/af43/vinceispatel/P1000556.jpg

that piece of paper is the mixing guide - there is a pdf of it on the ESV site if you are interested.

I need to get a digital scale so I can mix this stuff perfectly.

You can try splitting everything but i dont think this stuff has shelf life as long as you keep it properly sealed. I only have a 45 gallon tank and will do 5 gallon changes weekly so it should last me 6+ months.

brianlow
04-30-2011, 10:56 PM
Thanks the the photos! That box does look pretty rough.

I'll think I will order a batch.

phi delt reefer
05-01-2011, 01:01 AM
Thanks the the photos! That box does look pretty rough.

I'll think I will order a batch.

lol yeah the boxes they came in looked horrendous man. I think they are rated for 50lbs max and they weight like 48lbs. It was clear mine was at the top of a pallet because it had a giant band gash in the top. Everything was in good order so i cant complain.

Just got my RO hooked up and am cleaning up the water holding tanks. Might grab a scale from the "herb" shop this friday so i can mix some salt.

phi delt reefer
05-06-2011, 03:11 AM
so i mixed my first batch today - 12 gallons. just to soak my eco rock in. Doesnt take too long but i had to sit down and do some math because i didnt get a scale yet so i had to figure out how many cups/tsp/tbsp i needed. It mixed pretty easy but i havent checked the levels. My test kits and refractometer are packed upstairs and i dont wanna wake the kids. I'll post the mix results tommorow.

fwiw - if you are using a 5 gallon bucket you will only be able to mix 4 gallons of salt.

brianlow
05-07-2011, 05:34 PM
Correction... premiumaquatics has 200 gallon mix for $270 shipped. Their shipping calculator doesn't handle heavy items correctly.

Shipping is $9.00 anywhere in the states, but $191 more to go another 8 hours north of the border.

I'll be getting a salt mix locally until a Canadian dealer starts carrying ESV.

Phi, interested to hear how your tank likes the new salt.

phi delt reefer
05-07-2011, 08:35 PM
alright - so i mixed as per the directions... salinity was low. about 31.5ppt. UGH! Did some research online and it looks like other people are having a similar issue. I calibrated my refractometer with Symbon 35ppt solution that was floated in my mixing water so the temps were equal. ESV's directions are supposed to mix to 34ppt.

I guess the good thing about this mix is because its a component salt i can just add some more pure salt.

The other people who had issues online calibrated all measuring devices again (*ie. scales, measuring cups) and re-mixed and also got low salinity again.

I am going to try to mix with scales next time and do a mix on a single gallon to figure out the exact amount needed per gallon and post my measurements. I have yet to measure the other parameters but will do so once the salinity issue is corrected.

I believe the included results from ESV are incorrect but I cant say for sure until I do a control test with weighted components instead of measured.

I just added another 1/4 cup of salt and the salinity appears to be dead on at 34ppt.

phi delt reefer
05-07-2011, 08:36 PM
also - i picked up my salt at $71.99 a couple months ago from Premium Aquatics but had it shipped to the border.

Its about a 45 minute drive one way to the border from my house.