PDA

View Full Version : calcium/alk issues..

Maverick00
01-20-2011, 03:04 AM
so im struggling to get proper and consistent calcium alk and mag levels for the past few months. One of the big problems i realized i had was to many regular water changes which kept flushing the system of additives i keep measuring in. Im using brightwell aquatics reef code A and B i believe its called to try and balance the three. I tested my parameters tonight and found calcium sitting at 365ppm, Alk 13.2dHK, and Mag at 1130. My questions are whats the best way now to bring the Alk down and calcium up now that ive got the alkalinity so high, and once its there how are you suppose to maintain the levels especially after water changes which seem to lower all three levels (Instant Ocean) ? Or is it as simple as trial and error with constant parameter testing? Thanks for the help.

apexifd
01-20-2011, 03:17 AM
bring your mag to 1350 then bring up your cal. low mag = low ca.

what kinda of salt are you using?

Maverick00
01-20-2011, 04:02 AM
Instant Ocean

George
01-20-2011, 04:06 AM
so im struggling to get proper and consistent calcium alk and mag levels for the past few months. One of the big problems i realized i had was to many regular water changes which kept flushing the system of additives i keep measuring in. Im using brightwell aquatics reef code A and B i believe its called to try and balance the three. I tested my parameters tonight and found calcium sitting at 365ppm, Alk 13.2dHK, and Mag at 1130. My questions are whats the best way now to bring the Alk down and calcium up now that ive got the alkalinity so high, and once its there how are you suppose to maintain the levels especially after water changes which seem to lower all three levels (Instant Ocean) ? Or is it as simple as trial and error with constant parameter testing? Thanks for the help.

If you are using instant ocean, you shouldn't have that high of Alk. I suspect your dosage of A&B is wrong. From now on, stop dosing Alk until it falls to around 7 or 8 dkh, only dosing Ca part with minimum dosage according to the manufacturer. Do regular water change. Measure Alk, Ca and Mg regularly (weekly). Let us know after a month.

Maverick00
01-20-2011, 04:15 AM
ive been dosing A and B in equal parts with at least 4 or 5 hours in between each dose, daily. I was unaware you could just use each one independently if need be which makes sense, i seem to have had it in my head i had to use them together to make it work properly, ill give that a shot and see what happens in the following weeks. Thanks!

apexifd
01-20-2011, 04:24 AM
they have low mag content. I am also using it, but, after realizing about their low mag level, I am now starting to raising it up when I mix up fresh salt water.

Maverick00
01-20-2011, 04:33 AM
they have low mag content. I am also using it, but, after realizing about their low mag level, I am now starting to raising it up when I mix up fresh salt water.

thats a great idea, is it common practice to mix multiple additives in new saltwater to get your optimal water parameters before adding it to your tank? i think im alittle behind here. ive only recently started getting into dosing.

apexifd
01-20-2011, 05:04 AM
I dunno how much people are actually doing this, but, for sure that I am not the only one.

although it's easier to just start using better salt. I still have 2 full buckets of IO salt, so, it's gonna take me awhile to be able to use them up.

ultreef
01-20-2011, 05:54 AM
IO mixes out to these for me

ALK: 11
Ca: 380
Mg: 1300

I up the Ca to 430 and Mg to 1350.

10% water change doesn't affect my overall alk in my system.

What test kit are you using and how old are they? Also, remember not to do your testing right after water change or right after you dose your cal & alk. Give it time to mix through out the system.

mark
01-20-2011, 07:10 AM
sort of the same thing when using a reactor. Easy enough (and cheap in using bulk) to supplement the IO for water changes, then just use the dosing to maintain levels. Not a bad idea to test each new bucket different batches will vary.

Maverick00
01-20-2011, 07:05 PM
Im using salifert test kits with good expiry dates. Thanks for the tips ill update in a few weeks.

Lampshade
01-20-2011, 07:47 PM
IO has decent Calc/Alk mix... the magnesium is appernetly low in their mix, i supplement on water changes. I had a site a while ago that showed levels for most of the main salt mixes, trying to find it again now... i need to start using more bookmarks :(.

RC's forum on salt mix calc/alk/mag:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1287118

Here's an article that shows EVERYTHING:
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2005/12/aafeature1/view

Here's a table showing high or low(10 years old, probably changed since then):
http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/planasystem/ig/Guide-Charts--Tables--Diagrams/Comparison-Table-of-Primary-El.htm

Here's a couple showing trace elements:
http://advancedaquarist.com/issues/sept2004/feature.htm
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-02/rs/feature/index.php
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2005/11/aafeature1

Maverick00
01-21-2011, 01:35 AM
thanks for the bookmarks :mrgreen:

High tide
01-21-2011, 05:17 AM
ive been dosing A and B in equal parts with at least 4 or 5 hours in between each dose, daily. I was unaware you could just use each one independently if need be which makes sense, i seem to have had it in my head i had to use them together to make it work properly, ill give that a shot and see what happens in the following weeks. Thanks!

I find it better to use a separate powder or liquid supplement to equalize levels first and then resume A B dosing after your levels are balanced.

Maverick00
01-29-2011, 04:49 AM
Well its been a week and it seems i have things on the right track. I dosed only Code A (cal) and bought powdered magnesium and mixed to spec.

Cal 495
Mag 1305
Alk 7.9
PH 8.1

Still needs alittle tweaking but other than that I guess to maintain this ill just start with 10ml of Cal one day, then 10ml of Alk the next and see where that goes in the next 7 days, Thanks again for all the replies. :mrgreen: