PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know if Lambouti Wrasses Burrow?

Zoaelite
01-20-2011, 01:29 AM
I haven't seen my juvi. Lambouti wrasse in a few days anyone know if this species burrows? I have had him for about a month and a half but he's always out in the open. Little out of character for him, no sight of a body or anything in the overflow/ filter sock.

I did a thorough check around the tank and didn't find him anywhere, cat's could of eaten him but they have never touched a jumper before. All my parameters are fine and he was eating like a little piggy.

Any ideas?

fishytime
01-20-2011, 02:43 AM
nope .....they spin a cocoon and sleep in the rock.....just like all other fairy wrasses..

Zoaelite
01-20-2011, 04:46 PM
Fairy wrasses are found throughout tropical Indo-Pacific shallow waters swimming two to eight feet above sand or rocky substrata. Most fairy wrasses can be found in depths ranging from 10 - 75 feet, although some can be found deeper than 150 feet. These fish are easily frightened and hide within nearby coral or rockwork until the threat has left the area. They are diurnally active and sleep at night pinned within rockwork, protected by a mucus cocoon which they secrete around themselves. A similar cocoon in Parrotfish was demonstrated to protect the sleeping fish by masking its scent from the sensitive olfactory nerves of nocturnal predators. It is presumed that the cocoon performs the same function for Cirrhilabrus.

That's a little disheartening :neutral:, I guess it's time to build a screen or stop buying jumpers.