PDA

View Full Version : Building a Pico

Sean
01-18-2011, 10:55 PM
Hey Everyone,

Im in the process of moving and one thing that is going to be taken down is my tank. I don't want to lose what little i have in my 28g tank so I was thinking of transfering some to a small Pico and keeping that going. I was looking at some pre-made ones online and I have seen the IQ in person but one thing I wanted to get away from was a tall aquarium. Iv seen some nifty ones online at Picoaquariums.com but the price is pretty high without the shipping. Long story short does anyone know if anyone builds them here in calgary? I really don't want to go the way of a hang on filter. if anyone has some expreince or suggestion in this can you please help ;)

Palmer
01-18-2011, 11:15 PM
Are you talking about the IQ3? Its not very tall IMO. I started one a couple of months ago. I have been pretty slow with it I only have some live rock and snails in it. Overall I think it is a nice unit.

FishyFishy!
01-18-2011, 11:40 PM
I have built 3 or 4 of them. They are very easy to build. All you need is a regular aquarium (2.5, 5, or 10 gallons), a sheet of acrylic to make a partition and overflow, a maxi jet pump, and you have an easy all-in-one pico. If you need plans or more help, PM me. I would even help you make it if need be.

Jack
01-18-2011, 11:56 PM
Check these out, they are hilarious: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3lhEeOCpao

I love the cherry stand and canopy on the 1/2 gallon, haha.

kylejordan
06-22-2011, 03:43 AM
how far are you moving? I just moved to canmore from Vancouver with my 20 gallon... went to my local LFS and asked for a giant styrofoam box to set my tank in drained some of the water put some of the wobbly corals on the sand bed to avoid falls and landing upside down.... and she's been ace! unpacked her in canmore 11 hours later. mixed up some fresh water really quick and thats that! the only thing I lost was a Flame angel probably just from stress but my 2 clowns and Regal tang are healthy and lively as ever!

not sure if thats of any use to you but good luck with your move!