PDA

View Full Version : Chromis Jaw Problem.

silentcivilian
01-17-2011, 06:17 PM
So, I dont know how to say this that well, but my one chromis when it goes to eat, it looks like its jaw unhinges.. but gets stuck.. ive never seen this happen.. it still manages to get some food, but not as much as normal.. Im going to link a video in here, hopefully I can get it to work, its 51seconds long, and you can see it best near the end of the movie clip.

Question essentially is, should I worry?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhH20V9y5g4

untamed
01-17-2011, 10:05 PM
Owww.. that looks uncomfortable! I don't expect there is much you can do to help him. Keep trying to ensure he eats and hopefully it will work itself out.

Wayne
01-18-2011, 03:09 AM
Umm weird :sad: I hope that he is ok and thats just a "thing" that will go away.

spawn
01-18-2011, 03:19 AM
Some of mine do that too. I've never paid attention to it really, but now that I'm thinking about it I think tomorrow I'll try & see if it's the smaller fish, I've got 5 of them, their all about the same age but 2 are way smaller than the other 3. That could just be a dominance thing though.

whatcaneyedo
01-18-2011, 03:25 AM
I've heard of fish getting 'lock jaw' from poor diet and experianced it once myself. It took me a month to get my last volitan lionfish to eat frozen food. To wean it over I kept it very hungry by only feeding it a couple of guppies each week. By the time I got it to take silversides it was having a difficult time opening and closing its mouth. I was able to find some more information on it by looking around RC.

Do you offer your fish variety and feed it often? If not this may be the problem. But if you do then I have no idea.