PDA

View Full Version : Is RO a necesssity in the Lower Mainland

Bryan
12-24-2003, 05:33 AM
I currently use DI filters to filter my water. My rationale for using strictly DI is the lower mainland water outof the tap typically has a hardness of about 10-20 ppm, so the DI filters last quite a long time.

Is there any advantage to switching to a RO unit. Thoughts anybody!

Chad
12-24-2003, 06:10 AM
I currently use DI filters to filter my water. My rationale for using strictly DI is the lower mainland water outof the tap typically has a hardness of about 10-20 ppm, so the DI filters last quite a long time.

Is there any advantage to switching to a RO unit. Thoughts anybody!

I use a 5 stage RO/DI unit just to have 100% confidence in the water I am using. I spend all this money on my tank. I don't want to screw it up because I used crappy lowermainland tap water. I personaly don't think the DI unit is enough.

Canadian Man
12-24-2003, 06:17 AM
The DI unit will be enough. It takes the impurities out of the water. The main drawback to using it for most people is that hard water uses up the resins very quickly.

IF your getting acceptable time out of your resin's then why switch to a ro/di unit :confused:

Veng68
12-24-2003, 06:25 AM
I used to get 300 gallons from the Tap Water DI :) Recharging is easy :)

Cheers,
Victor [veng68]

Bryan
12-24-2003, 07:24 PM
I currently recharge mine as well, bit I want to use a Kalk reactor that's directly fed from a DI. I have been doing some tests with my NEW TDS meter and it's showing contaminents being lrelease from the DI for the first half gallon or so.

Veng68
12-24-2003, 08:13 PM
after you recharge you should not use the first 5 gallons or so. Use you TDS meter to check that.

Cheers,
Vic

Bryan
12-25-2003, 06:52 AM
Yes I do run about 5 -10 gallons through after a recharge, but I find with DI the first 1/2 gallon or so always tests high in TDS if the unit hasn't ben used for a day. I believe this is normal for DI.

Jack
12-25-2003, 05:15 PM
We use DI in the shop for its quickness. Works great as long as you keep an eye on your TDS meter so you know when to swap a cartridge. I have to reasearch into recharging DI's but I hear it's easy.

I use RO/DI on my home system because speed isn't a concern and it's cheaper, IMO. RO lasts 2-3 years(depending on usage ect?) and I haven't replaced my DI in well-over a year.

Veng68
12-25-2003, 07:20 PM
We use DI in the shop for its quickness. Works great as long as you keep an eye on your TDS meter so you know when to swap a cartridge. I have to reasearch into recharging DI's but I hear it's easy.

I use RO/DI on my home system because speed isn't a concern and it's cheaper, IMO. RO lasts 2-3 years(depending on usage ect?) and I haven't replaced my DI in well-over a year.

Hey Jack,

Here are some instructions on how to regenerate DI resins.

Instruction to regenerate Tap Water Filter Resins
http://archimedes.galilei.com/raiar/ditwp.html

Instructions from Kent MArine Website
http://www.kentmarine.com/html/MAXRpg2.pdf

Cheers,
Victor [Veng68]

Jack
12-25-2003, 07:23 PM
Hey thanks! Could be a big money saver. I apreciate you taking the time.

Veng68
12-25-2003, 09:48 PM
No worries. I've been doing it for a while. Saves a lot of money :)

Cheers,
Vic