PDA

View Full Version : wisdom needed...new 75

newtofish2
01-15-2011, 08:38 PM
I have recently aqcuired a 75 gallon bowfront with 15 gallon sump, CPR siphon overflow, return pump, deltec skimmer (for sump or hang on back), another smaller hang on back skimmer, lights and all the plumbing. I am moving my overstocked hair algae infested inhabitants into thier new home...eventually. I currently have a 30 gallon and 20 gallon that will meld into the 75 (30 has a hair algae problem...overstocked and my 2 year old 'fed' the fish a whole container of food on boxing day.)

I have 2 clowns, 1 orange spot goby, canary wrasse, and 2 damsels, 40 lb live rock and various corals.

I have cleaned everything, and patiently filled it with clean RO water and I cant seem to keep a siphon with the CPR ...the aqualifter doesnt seem to be working?

Also I am reading about the hazards of flooding (and drowning of my toddlers in the sump) with the CPR overflow I am losing confidence in the sump set up with the CPR...

Could I just run the deltec skimmer 600 as a hang on the back (it does have a place for carbon or media ) and add more live rock ...would that be enough?

Should I add a canister filter? or something else? or keep trying with the CPR...a new aqualifter...and better child locks on the cabinet?

Thank you for your help!

George
01-15-2011, 09:25 PM
Can you have the tank drilled? It will be much easy if the tank is drilled.
If you are not comfortable with drilling the tank, I would suggest ditching the siphon overflow and the sump all together and run a sumpless system with deltec HOB skimmer. It's a great skimmer. No other filters needed.

I have recently aqcuired a 75 gallon bowfront with 15 gallon sump, CPR siphon overflow, return pump, deltec skimmer (for sump or hang on back), another smaller hang on back skimmer, lights and all the plumbing. I am moving my overstocked hair algae infested inhabitants into thier new home...eventually. I currently have a 30 gallon and 20 gallon that will meld into the 75 (30 has a hair algae problem...overstocked and my 2 year old 'fed' the fish a whole container of food on boxing day.)

I have 2 clowns, 1 orange spot goby, canary wrasse, and 2 damsels, 40 lb live rock and various corals.

I have cleaned everything, and patiently filled it with clean RO water and I cant seem to keep a siphon with the CPR ...the aqualifter doesnt seem to be working?

Also I am reading about the hazards of flooding (and drowning of my toddlers in the sump) with the CPR overflow I am losing confidence in the sump set up with the CPR...

Could I just run the deltec skimmer 600 as a hang on the back (it does have a place for carbon or media ) and add more live rock ...would that be enough?

Should I add a canister filter? or something else? or keep trying with the CPR...a new aqualifter...and better child locks on the cabinet?

Thank you for your help!

Lampshade
01-15-2011, 10:09 PM
I had child locks on my sump doors, and have a locking door to my fish room now, keeps the kids out. For their safety and the fishes :S. as for flooding, i found i ended up with more water on my floor sumpless than after, i was always sloshing water doing water changes, cleaning skimmer, etc. Might be just clumsy me, but once i got the sump everything seemed to stay much more controlled. Sloshing water inside a cabinet sucks, but it dries, sloshing behind a tank dries... into your house paint :S