PDA

View Full Version : Siganus doliatus, striped or penciled rabbitfish, 7", Calgary

Delphinus
01-15-2011, 06:45 PM
Free to good home. Will need to go into a larger tank as this is not a small fish. I'm going to guess the minimum threshold here is around 90 to 100 gallons if the tank is otherwise lightly stocked, otherwise if you have other large fish it will have to be a larger tank.

Will try to post a picture as time allows but here is some info.
http://www.reefhotspot.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=739

There are two fish that have the same common name of "double bar" rabbit, this is one, and the other is Siganus virgatus. They are almost identical except that S. doliatus, what I have, has blue striping that extends all the way to the tail, whereas S. virgatus starts with stripes at the head and then fade into spots the along the back.

Note - this is a very aggressive eater of macro algae. This can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on whether you want any in your tank or not. If you want a fish to eradicate caulerpa and valonia, this is a good choice, the only downside is he will not fit into a smaller system.

I don't need a commitment to pick this fish up right away but I do request that you are interested that you express your interest as soon as possible. If there is no interest expressed at all today then I will be asking the fish stores in Calgary if I can bring him in instead. So please PM me if you're interested and we can discuss the transfer logistics. Thanks.

FishyFishy!
01-15-2011, 07:04 PM
PM'd

Myka
01-15-2011, 09:53 PM
He eats Valonia? :eek:

Delphinus
01-15-2011, 11:07 PM
Totally! Useful fish that way.

Anyhow fish has a new home, thanks for the interest.

Black Phantom
01-18-2011, 03:00 AM
Sent PM