PDA

View Full Version : bubble tip anemone in sps tank

apexifd
01-15-2011, 05:06 AM
good idea??? wanting to get an anemone for a long time. but, still not sure if it's good idea to have one or not.

thanks

reefwars
01-15-2011, 07:35 AM
good idea??? wanting to get an anemone for a long time. but, still not sure if it's good idea to have one or not.

thanks

absolutely lots of people keep bta's in sps tanks , theres still always the same risks of moving and they constantly split sometimes, but they are a great starting nem:):)

burrows14
01-15-2011, 08:55 AM
I loved having my rbta in my sps tank until the last to months:( mine split and they both wandered and wiped out a few of my corals. I sold one and one is in my sump now. They are good for a while but be prepared to deal with the issues later on. If I could do it over I would pass on the nem.

Cheers
Ray

fishytime
01-15-2011, 02:41 PM
when I finally tore down and moved V1 of my tank I literally flushed a dozen nems down the toilet....(I started with 1).....they became like aptasia for me.......no nems in V2....that being said I think nems are a cool critter, and wish they werent so dang invasive....

Myka
01-15-2011, 03:24 PM
My nems behave. I have two of them. They are on their own island in the tank, and have a couple clowns hanging out in them. Aside from the first week, they haven't moved around at all, even when I move their rock. They used to split all the time, but I built my rockwork so everything is accessible so I could pull out the splits and sell them. They haven't split in a long time now...maybe over year? I don't feed them either, and the tank doesn't get fed very much (small fish, not voracious ones) so that helps keep them from splitting.

Lance
01-15-2011, 04:18 PM
I've had mine for 1.5 years and while it has grown very large (15" across) it has never split. Hasn't moved either. If you're lucky enough to find the right spot for them, they're happy to remain there.

apexifd
01-15-2011, 05:57 PM
Wow... That's a 50/50 feed back.... Might just get a gbta and try it out

Magma
01-15-2011, 05:59 PM
I have a GBTA and it split about a month ago but other than splitting it has never moved around the tank, both copys stay put, but they have one side of the tank to themselves because they are getting so big I'd say both are about 6" across when fully open.

soapy
01-15-2011, 07:05 PM
I have had a GBTA for about a year now and while it has split a few times it has never moved. It settled a couple of inches from where I put it in. Feeding a lot seems to make them split? I have pretty much stopped feeding it but it gets its share since it is in a good spot for grabbing food out of the flow.

apexifd
01-16-2011, 03:59 AM
despite the fact that an anemone might wipe out my entire sps collection when they decide to go for a walk.

But, I just can't resist when I saw this @ the store today. http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss67/apexifd/photo.jpg

store wasn't too sure what it is. but, I think it's a pink bubble tip.

cross my finger hoping it will stay @ where I put it.

Magma
01-16-2011, 04:04 AM
looks like a rose bubble tip thats been under pretty poor lighting....should colour up after a while though, nice find :D

apexifd
01-16-2011, 04:10 AM
looks like a rose bubble tip thats been under pretty poor lighting....should colour up after a while though, nice find :D

I actually hope it just stay in that colour. wife approved it because it has nice pink.

I placed it under 150w hqi. and away from mp40. hoping the little bugger gonna like it.

Magma
01-16-2011, 04:20 AM
depends on the nem really lol if they want to they will move...and seeing how you have it under a really intense light it might hide in the shade and slowly peak out for a while you never know.