PDA

View Full Version : bubble magus vs vertex skimmer

born
01-15-2011, 01:55 AM
I've been debating between which skimmer to buy for my 125G tank + 65G sump. I have been reading the reviews on both skimmers, and have come across some great ones and some not so great. So I was wondering if anyone had any personal reviews, or any that should be told.
The price difference is only 35 dollars. The bubble magus would be 315$ and the vertex would be 280$. It isn't a big difference in price so I wanna just pick which would be best. It would be nice to get a really silent one that skims hard for crystal clear water.

Bubble Magus BM180CS Cone Skimmer (185G-240G)
http://www.bubble-magus.com/en/productShow.asp?id=994

Vertex IN-250 In-Sump Protein Skimmer - up to 250 Gallons
http://redcoralaquarium.net/online/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=20_101&products_id=807

Skimmerking
01-15-2011, 02:16 AM
Well I guess that I will chime in on this one. What you need to look at is the Type of pump that is going to run the skimmer. The main reason is something that isn't going to wear out and not basically blow impeller's

Since my self hence the name Skimmer KING is here Im going to tell you what one to buy from my Own experience and any one who chimes in here to back me up...

Bubble magus for the following reasons.
-Eheim Pump
-Cone method for the more less turbulence of bubbles going to the top. Basically you want a smooth flow for the bubble to go up.
-Easy dialing in with the Ehiem. more of a powerful pump to run.
-Bigger Air lines for more Air being Draw.
-Super Quiet
-Running the Skimmer in 8" of water
-Eheims don't heat your water up like Sedra's do.
-the BM has a super small foot print which I love about in-sump Skimmer's
When I buy a skimmer I go for 2-3 X the gallons of water. SO with your tank I would personnely go with the Cs 220 is you can However if you can't then I would go with the 180 I also look at the bio-load you can always over skimmer and tune it down, the bigger the skimmer on a system depending on the size s better. What I'm taking about is If you need a skimmer to take something out of the water the skimmer can do it. However if you skimp on the skimmer and just get a one that is barely making due then its going to be harder to clean out the tank.

MY VOTE IS THE BUBBLE MAGUS 180 CONE OR THE 220

HTH

ILIKECOUGARS
01-15-2011, 02:21 AM
May I ask were are you getting those prices from. I'll been looking at the BM180CS but there close to $500 plus shipping

Coleus
01-15-2011, 02:25 AM
+1 for bubble magus.

Inedaan
01-15-2011, 02:37 AM
@cougars, maybe a gift certificate bought for Red Coral during the Boxing Day sale

born
01-15-2011, 03:19 AM
May I ask were are you getting those prices from. I'll been looking at the BM180CS but there close to $500 plus shipping

conceptaquariums is his name here. Im getting a tank built from him so he said he can hook me up on a deal for the skimmer too. definitely pm him he's a great to deal with and really helpful and can get you what you need.

I did purchase a RC gift cert. but now I dont know what to get with it since im getting a sick deal from conceptaquarium. maybe some powerheads or order in a nice new fish for the tank.

Thanks Skimmer King. I think I am gonna go with the bubble magus. I may go with the 180Cone because I'm a uni student and income isnt a daily thing lol. I'll ask how much I can get the 220 for. But much appreciated for the information!

Coleus
01-15-2011, 04:12 AM
Conceptaquariums also hook me up some awesome deal with MH bulbs. Maybe i should see if he can hook me up with some light fixture.

Skimmerking
01-15-2011, 04:13 AM
hey no problems Mang,