PDA

View Full Version : Should I even bother trying out peppermint shrimp

Fellow
01-14-2011, 04:05 PM
I just noticed a couple apistia in a hard to reach place in my rock work plus several other quick reproducing/nocturnal but doesn't look like apistia/mojano anemones in my tank.

I want to try a few peppermints but I have a Mystery Wrasse and Flame Hawk in my tank.

I had a cleaner shrimp go missing while I was on holidays so I have my doubts.

axe_man16
01-14-2011, 04:12 PM
I bought 3 peppermint shrimp a couple weeks ago. I had several heads of aiptasia growing everywhere. Took about 5 days and there was no aiptasia. As far as the wrasse issue someone else will have to chime in.

daniella3d
01-14-2011, 04:18 PM
My peppermint shrimps does not toutch the aiptasias, nor does my copperband. I am going to buy a few berghia nudibranches.

donlite
01-14-2011, 04:31 PM
My peppermint shrimp do not even look at my aiptasia. The guy at store said you have to put the shrimp in a small tank with only aiptasia and do not feed the shrimp. They will learn to eat them

ponokareefer
01-14-2011, 04:35 PM
My peppermint shrimp hang out right beside an aiptasia, but never touch it. If you've got a mystery wrasse and flame hawk, I wouldn't bother with it considering how hit and miss peppermint's are.

Inedaan
01-14-2011, 04:38 PM
I got a Peppermint to get rid of my Aiptasia and he did an amazing job... Until he got eaten by my Pistol Shrimp/Watchman Goby :(

axe_man16
01-14-2011, 04:39 PM
Make sure you are getting the right type of peppermint shrimp. They should have red stripes and a red tail. Sometimes stores have them labeled as peppermint shrimp and they are not ones that will eat aiptasia. Just make sure not to overfeed untill your aiptasia is gone, as the shrimp will eat the left over food instead of the aiptasia.

But even though you do everything right to incourage them to eat aiptasia they still might not, I got lucky I guess with mine, they love the stuff.

randy123
01-14-2011, 05:00 PM
My mystery wrasse has murdered 3 cleaner shrimp in his day, but he is full grown. A smaller mystery may leave a shrimp alone.

cwatkins
01-14-2011, 05:11 PM
They'll only eat it until they get the taste for fish food. Then they just become another pretty invert in the tank that serves no purpose... :(

BlueWorldAquatic
01-14-2011, 06:57 PM
I would say no to peppermInts if you have a flame hawk. Peppermints will do well if you get the right species.

I only get mine from one supplier, funny as hell when they act like zombies approaching and ripping apart aptasia.

Ken

outacontrol
01-14-2011, 07:07 PM
Pepermint ship will eat aptasia, the problem people have is they feed too much food and the shrimp would rather eat prepared food. If you cut back on your feeding amount they will eat the aptasia.
But your fish, the flame hawk and mystery wrasse will almost for sure eat the peppermint.

asylumdown
01-14-2011, 07:10 PM
I bought 4 that I specifically watched eat an aiptasia in the store. They're never touched one in my tank. Within days of them going in, I would find tiny pieces of frog spawn tentacle floating through my tank, burning the crap out of anything they landed on....

Wayne
01-15-2011, 01:30 AM
I would say just rescape your rock to get the aptasia where its accessible and zap it with a needle and lemon juice or kalk paste.