PDA

View Full Version : canopy fans

Aquaria
01-14-2011, 08:18 AM
so i got this stand from a fellow canreefer and i would like to get the 2 computer fans working but im no good with electricity and do not wanna burn the house down. what do i do? what do u need to know?

Aquattro
01-14-2011, 01:04 PM
So you have fans installed in the canopy already? Is there wiring attached? You'll need to find the voltage (5v, 12v) and use a corresponding ac adapter to plug them in.

Aquaria
01-14-2011, 10:10 PM
they are 12v and they are wired together(is that safe?)at the back of the canopy and then cut off. i know how to attach wire with electrical tape and all but im worried about + and - idetification. will one 12v outlit be a fire hazard powering 2 12v fans?

Aquattro
01-14-2011, 10:28 PM
they are 12v and they are wired together(is that safe?)at the back of the canopy and then cut off. i know how to attach wire with electrical tape and all but im worried about + and - idetification. will one 12v outlit be a fire hazard powering 2 12v fans?

You'll need to verify total amperage, and get a converter that works at that. I have 3 fans at 250ma, so I use a 1a converter.

Aquaria
01-14-2011, 10:32 PM
and the converter plugs into the outlit? how do u find out Amps

cwatkins
01-14-2011, 10:43 PM
It should say right on the AC/DC adapter its rating.

Safe to say with a few hundred ma I don't think you can burn the house down. There's more stray voltage in your tank than that. (Disclaimer: I am not an electrician. This is only a theory...)

I have 2 of the ultra quiet PC fans from NCIX installed in my hood (the big 5" ones). They are soldered to a standard 12V dc adapter that plugs into my Apex controller. Fans turn on with the Halides and when the water is above a certain temperature. And they turn off when below a certain temperature.

Aquaria
01-14-2011, 10:47 PM
fans say 0.21A theres no adapter the last owner cut it off only wired together

mseepman
01-14-2011, 11:13 PM
Go to a dollar store (that sells things that are more than a dollar) and they often carry variable voltage wall worts. Cut off the end that is on the wall wort where it plugs into things and wire it to the two wires coming off of the fans.

Here is a link to a "how to" for you.http://www.ehow.com/how_6127007_wire-computer-fan.html

Bloodasp
01-14-2011, 11:55 PM
I would assume they are wired in parallel? Normally fans have a red and black wire. red goes to + and black goes to -. If you hook it up wrong it will just go on reverse direction if i am not mistaken. Any ac adapter higher than 0.42 amps should work just as long as it is 12 volts

mike31154
01-15-2011, 01:13 AM
Based on how this thread is going so far, I think it might be a good idea if you do this with someone on hand that has some experience with electricity. It's a little dicey trying to provide safe advice regarding the hookup of this nature without some photos & more details on how this rig looks at the moment, even if it is a low voltage DC job. Electrical tape is not the best way to connect wiring.

cwatkins
01-15-2011, 01:46 AM
Electrical tape is not the best way to connect wiring.

For sure. It really needs to be soldered. If you're not handy with that type of stuff, you may want to ask around.

mseepman
01-15-2011, 02:53 AM
Mar connectors are also very safe.. I've used them on all my fan wiring jobs.

cwatkins
01-15-2011, 07:21 AM
Mar connectors are also very safe.. I've used them on all my fan wiring jobs.

Even easier!