PDA

View Full Version : No algae = Bad?

dekay
12-23-2003, 06:58 PM
I've been a well behaved reefer for the last few weeks. Less feeding, regular maintenance, mixing & dosing kalk regularly, and a shorter photoperiod (sometimes with only actinics on, cuz i was fighting algae blooms, and the 10,000k would make the algae grow like crazy). Recently, it seems my efforts has been paying off. Very little algae on the glass, although i still have a few small patches of hair algae.

Problem is yesterday, the pearl bubble coral i've had for about a month didn't look as good as it did. A few of the bubbles looked deflated. As well, I've had a black anenome crab and a snail die on me on the same week.

Anyone want to take a stab at why this is happening? Is the lack of algae starving my snails? Should I start feeding nori? Cuz I also have a lawnmower, and I don't want to starve him too. I'm also wondering if I should get some calepra and start growing that in my tank as well. Maybe help compete with the hair algae and provide some snail/lawnmower food (will they eat that?).

Son Of Skyline
12-23-2003, 07:10 PM
Have u been testing your water? Particularly alk, pH, Ca..etc? A lack of algae shouldn't be causing animals to die suddenly. Your bubble coral also doesn't care that there's no algae in the tank.