PDA

View Full Version : Mantis shrimp! Help

windcoast reefs
01-13-2011, 01:06 AM
So I just put my first fish in my tank on monday (green chromis) and they seemed to be doing fine. They adjusted allot quicker than I expected for a new tank but yesterday I lost one of the fish. On tuesday morning I noticed that one of them had a huge gash on its side and a lack of fins. It was right by its tail on ins right hand side. It died very quickly after I noticed. But today I woke up to my other green chromis with exactly the same issue! The same gash the same spot and no fins. So I started to investigate and had quite the surprise. I say a inch and a half long mantis shrimp on the live rock! I had noticed this in the tank when I set it up in september. I had no idea what it was, but I did notice that is was super aggressive (put a whole right through my glove and killed all the other tank makes at the time). I had thought that I managed to kill it off by taking the live rock it lived in out and then covering it in carbonated water and doing a few water change over the next few weeks. I haven't seen it up until now. So does anyone have any advice to get rid of this mantis shrimp? I figure they may have been hiding at night right by the live rock that it lives in. I didn't think it could live out of water for 24 hours and be covered in carbonated water. So I am out of ideas.

scubasteve13
01-13-2011, 01:52 AM
goodluck man those guys will move from rock to rock before you can get a chance to take the rock out that you think he is in. have you tried to take out a few peices and soak them in soda water for a few days ?

apexifd
01-13-2011, 02:24 AM
smaller guy like that is hard to catch!!! I putted a small mantis in my refugium part of my sump few months back. and I haven't seen it since 2nd day. It's alive for sure, cuz I hear it from time to time(smasher.)

I tried to look for it a few times but no luck. and it's only 12"X12" area.

windcoast reefs
01-13-2011, 02:28 AM
Yeah He is a fast little thing! Well I guess I have a little bit of searching to do since my live rock is plugged together now!

apexifd
01-13-2011, 02:43 AM
trap it... piece of silver side and a 2L pop bottle home made trap.

spear it.. rubber band and sharpen chop stick...

then batter it, deep fry with garlic and green chilli... it's a good eat.