PDA

View Full Version : Killing Aptasia or Sterilizing Rock

HL649
01-12-2011, 10:35 PM
What is the best way to destroy all of the aptasia on live rock? I have an aquarium full of live rock that has a fairly heavy infestation of aptasia. I want to move the rock to my new aquarium but I don't want any aptasia in the new tank. There are some really nice big pieces so I would like to reuse it. I was considering removing each piece and boiling it in a big pot to sterilize it. I understand that it would kill all the good stuff but that is a price I am willing to pay to get rid of the aptasia.

Anyone have any better ideas?

Capt_kulafu
01-12-2011, 10:47 PM
drops of lemon it helps!!! :razz:

Borderjumper
01-12-2011, 10:48 PM
What is the best way to destroy all of the aptasia on live rock? I have an aquarium full of live rock that has a fairly heavy infestation of aptasia. I want to move the rock to my new aquarium but I don't want any aptasia in the new tank. There are some really nice big pieces so I would like to reuse it. I was considering removing each piece and boiling it in a big pot to sterilize it. I understand that it would kill all the good stuff but that is a price I am willing to pay to get rid of the aptasia.

I did a lot og googling on this last month when my tank cracked and all my live rock got "deaded". I am NOT recommending this, but I Found this thread interesting... It's about bleaching rock.

http://www.3reef.com/forums/live-rock/reusing-old-live-rock-37810.html

apex82
01-12-2011, 10:58 PM
I vote to boil it... I had the same issue and as long as you have some other live rock that is healthy you can just seed it one piece at a time in the new tank. I decided it is not worth the headache and extra maintenance trying to control infestations. Maintaining the tank and livestock enough as it is, don't want to add more work if it can be avoided from the start.

I boiled mine in a 5 gallon bucket, left in fw for a day and then did another round of boiling to make sure. Make sure you do it in the garage or outside, cover your mouth with something and dont breathe it in... it will smell like something died and probably not to good for your health as well. It kept a lot of color surprisingly, but some parts are mainly white. I just started adding a rock every few days to the display tank to not cause any spikes.

asylumdown
01-12-2011, 11:20 PM
hmmm, that bleach option sounds appealing for all the rock in my current system when I trade up. I wasn't sure what I was going to do with 100 pounds unusable aiptasia spawn, but that sounds like a fast way to get the rock completely clean.

I have tried boiling rock before, but only in small pieces.

reefwars
01-13-2011, 12:42 AM

theres a guy on here his name is "themaster" he will trade you good rock for rock with aiptasia he farms nudibranchs.

another idea is like i did is use a file fish and in a few weeks will completely clean your tank out:) cheers:)

reefwars
01-13-2011, 12:44 AM

another option is to toss it outside for a night , one night in albertas cold and it will be as dead as can be:):)

The Grizz
01-13-2011, 12:54 AM
I would try some of that Tailor Aquatics Aptasia X,if you have a small tank or tub you could take out a few prices of rock at a time and dose them. This way it would not pollute your tank and it would save the good stuff on your rock.

monocus
01-13-2011, 02:52 AM
i find the berghia work the best-but you will never really be free of aptasia.after my move i put my live rock out in the elements for 6 months while i was rebuilding my fish room,after 5 months of my 220 running again-i have aptasia from my old rock.it will go in cycles-berghia will eat the aptasia then starve(loan them out)then the aptasia will grow back.the bonus is that you can sell the new berghia.i didn't have to pay for anything for 7 months while i was doing that at my lfs

pirate
01-13-2011, 04:11 AM
When I bought my rock with lots of aptisia on it, I didn't care if it was live or dead. I put it all in the bathtub and filled it full of fresh water. I scrub it 1 a day and changed the water 2 a day. For the first few it did not take very long for the water to become gross and full of dead things. I would rinse it and fill the tub full again. Some of the life that was on it took a couple of days to kill off. If I was to do it again I would do the same, but after a couple of days in fresh water I would put it outside to freeze.
Or call the guy up in Edmonton that is looking for aptisia and trade him pound for pound or loan it to him.

doch
01-13-2011, 03:06 PM
I still say torch the bastards!! Take the rock out, grab a lighter (preferably a blow torch style one) and burn the hell out of them. Done and done.

donlite
01-13-2011, 03:28 PM
If you google aptasia zapper this guy makes them for about $75. I made my own and it works great.:idea:

daniella3d
01-13-2011, 04:54 PM
How long does the berghia live? I am guessing there is a limit to what amount of time it can be resell or trade. For exemple, the livespan of the black velvet nudibranch is 3 months, more or less.

the bonus is that you can sell the new berghia.i didn't have to pay for anything for 7 months while i was doing that at my lfs

HL649
01-14-2011, 09:22 AM
I have been using Aptasia-X in my present tank but I can't ge at all the aptasia. When I transfer the rock to my new tank I want to make sure there is NO APTASIA. For that reason I don't truxt Aptasia-X, burining, or any other spot treatment. I don't want to take the risk of missing just 1 aptasia.

I am still leaning towards boiling or maybe a chemical bath. Maybe vinegar?

donlite
01-14-2011, 02:44 PM
There is always a good chance that some spores or tiny aiptasia will be transferred . I have to fight with this aiptasia every day and it is a painful battle that you can never win. My first tank never had them and it was a lot easier. If you have a chance to rid yourself of them DO IT NOW.