PDA

View Full Version : What will get rid of red algae

imslow
12-23-2003, 09:10 AM
I have a 240 g tank that has been established for about 9 months now and in the past two months i have notice that i have red algae growing on one side of my tank....it stays in the same place on the gravel and doesnt seem to be disappearing or moving to another place...someone once told me that they grow in a place with low flow so i have put a pump near it to increase the flow but it doesnt seem to do anything....is there any other way to get rid of these stuff. oh yeah it is cyanobacteria...(slimy red algae)

ltay
12-23-2003, 09:23 AM
Try 'red slime remover' by Ultralife. It is an antibiotic which would kill cynos but it's safe for the reef inverts and fishes. Use as directed per instructions.

Just2Bad
12-23-2003, 05:04 PM
Don't try this product you will do more bad than good things with this. Yes it's safe for inverts, cyano is bacteria so this product will kill bacteria and not only the bad ones but good ones also... I tried it and worked great for about 1-2month and got wrost after and now they are everywhere. Find the cause instead of patching with chemicals

Bob I
12-23-2003, 05:22 PM
I have used Chemiclean from Boyd Enterprises with excellent results. As far as finding the cause, after numerous attempts, I would suggest you will never do so. Cyanobacter has been on this planet far longer than humans, and is very successful. It appears to thrive with no food of any kind. Forget about the cause, use Chemiclean, and be done with it :rolleyes: