PDA

View Full Version : Is crazy glue reef safe?

Midway
01-11-2011, 12:16 AM
I was wondering if crazy glue is reef safe?

FishyFishy!
01-11-2011, 12:40 AM
The best is Loctite Gel (blue and silver bottle with blue squeeze tabs). Apparently it can cure underwater as well... but I have yet to make that happen for some reason.

Your looking mainly for the compound "Cyanoacrylate" which is reef safe. I wouldn't try any others.

ScubaSteve
01-11-2011, 12:43 AM
Yes, and as above, Loctite gel seems to work best. I find Krazy brand leaves a film on the water surface as you put it into the water. Recently I've started using Loctite Gel Ultra... it's a few dollars more but it is the cat's pajamas! Best I've used so far.

ScubaSteve
01-11-2011, 12:44 AM
I should also add that that with the amount I buy of this stuff I might actually be a part owner of the company... I should look into it. At the vary least I am putting someone's kids through college.

ILIKECOUGARS
01-11-2011, 12:45 AM
Loctite superglue Gel is what I use.

dunl
01-11-2011, 01:05 AM
Where do you people source this?

ScubaSteve
01-11-2011, 01:09 AM
Home depot, home hardware, Canadian tire and all major retailors.

soapy
01-11-2011, 01:10 AM
Home Depot, Rona, etc.

fishytime
01-11-2011, 01:21 AM
Tailored Aquatics & Ocean wonders market a super glue as well.....it actually a better deal(a rare thing when it comes to aquarium products) than buying loctite or crazy glue.....30ml for like $15 instead of 6 or 10 ml for $7:wink:

Coleus
01-11-2011, 01:23 AM
After using Loctite superglue Gel, i found i prefer Reef Glue GEL - Oceans Wonders over it because it last me longer and it does not seal the top of the bottle after use

apexifd
01-11-2011, 01:24 AM
works better than "aquarium" version of crazy glue?? or they are exactly the same?

Ian
01-11-2011, 01:39 AM
My personnal favorite is mercuyadhesives brand it comes in differnent size containers as well as differing viscosities ( I like thick). It is available from hobbyshops, the one beside big als in calgary carries a full selection. It is another cyanoacrylate based glue to look at.

Zoaelite
01-11-2011, 02:15 AM
I actually threw my tailored aquatics in the garbage, I have always used the locktite because of there applicator. The TA tip gets covered in glue and becomes irritating to use after one application while the locktite stays nice and clean.

pinhead
01-11-2011, 02:34 AM
I tried the expensive brands of superglue and aquarium specific epoxy putties, but i can give you a cheap alternative that works perfectly. Get yourself some PC Marine Epoxy Putty from Rona at about $9 and a cheap tube of super glue gel from the dollar store (the local one has Titan brand).

I read about this on Reef Central and can say it has worked form me every time. Mix up your epoxy putty (PC Marine Putty is green on the outside and white on the inside and is one uniform colour when you knead it) and roll a small ball about the size of a pea. Dry the bottom of your frag or plug and put a drop of superglue on the bottom. Put your ball of epoxy on the drop of superglue and then put another drop on top of the epoxy.

Push the whole thing down where ever you want it mounted - liverock, glass or overflow. The superglue sticks to both the epoxy and to the rock and is very strong once everything cures - it will support horzontally mounted frags.

This works much better than superglue or epoxy alone.

Coleus
01-11-2011, 03:35 AM
I actually threw my tailored aquatics in the garbage, I have always used the locktite because of there applicator. The TA tip gets covered in glue and becomes irritating to use after one application while the locktite stays nice and clean.

I got the same experience with the tailored aquatics. I hate it

viperfish
01-11-2011, 12:49 PM
I have been using the Gorilla Glue brand. The applicator tip doesn't get plugged and you get twice as much as Loctite or Crazy Glue.

Lampshade
01-11-2011, 12:58 PM
I've used gorilla glue before in my tank, it's a polyurethane so technically it should be inert once cured. Only issue is that it's only a mechanical bond, so doesn't do to well on smooth surfaces. I just used a locktite on a motor impeller while i wait for the replacment part from tunze. The magnet slipped off the ceramic holding the blades. So far it's worked great, and my fish are still alive!. might not need that replacment part after all...

kevNnic
01-11-2011, 04:00 PM
The best is Loctite Gel (blue and silver bottle with blue squeeze tabs). Apparently it can cure underwater as well... but I have yet to make that happen for some reason.

Your looking mainly for the compound "Cyanoacrylate" which is reef safe. I wouldn't try any others.

this, the loctite is what i have been using, cures great underwater, you only have so much to play around with it though, the gel is nice to for filling in any holes you need to attatch to!

Zoaelite
01-11-2011, 04:21 PM
this, the loctite is what i have been using, cures great underwater, you only have so much to play around with it though, the gel is nice to for filling in any holes you need to attatch to!

Also great for binding your fingers with other fingers, random refractometers and about anything else that exists on the planet.

Carrera75
01-11-2011, 05:54 PM
I've used gorilla glue before in my tank, it's a polyurethane so technically it should be inert once cured. Only issue is that it's only a mechanical bond, so doesn't do to well on smooth surfaces. I just used a locktite on a motor impeller while i wait for the replacment part from tunze. The magnet slipped off the ceramic holding the blades. So far it's worked great, and my fish are still alive!. might not need that replacment part after all...

I didn't know gorilla glue could be used to glue frags. How long does it take for the glue to set? Can this be used under water? If this really works then I'll be buying some for sure. I have tried Loctite glue and while it works great it is also more epxensive. The bottle is a lot smaller than the reef glue fish stores sell.

Lampshade
01-11-2011, 06:14 PM
I don't know about using it underwater, Polyurathane gives off some nasty's while curing. It would harden underwater for sure, but not sure how toxic it actualy would be while curing. I've always waited 12+ hours to put the stuff in the tank(They say 2 is cure time, i give extra). Gorilla glue is pretty much the same as the PL Premium construction adhesive, same base chemicals, slightly different mix.

Edit:
Here's the MSDS for the glue, not very safe in liquid form. I'd keep it out of the tank wet.
http://www.gorillaglue.com/Portals/0/pdfs/msds/MSDS%20Stronger%20Faster%20English%20Jan2010.pdf

viperfish
01-11-2011, 08:36 PM

The glue I use is Gorilla Superglue, it's not a polyurethane at all but a Cyanoacrylate adhesive, no different that Loctite. Here is the MSDS link http://www.gorillaglue.com/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=zNjE5uMfRXI%3d&tabid=95. It has a viscosity very close to the gel Loctite and you get a lot more for the money.