PDA

View Full Version : HOB Mechanical Filter

Oscar
01-10-2011, 12:11 AM
I continue to have algae and cyano problems. I am doing some pruning, installed new lights (heavy to blue), reinstalled my UV sterilizer and continue to stir up my detritus. I also have a reactor with carbon and GFC.

One thing I have not done is mechanical removal of detritus when I stir it up. Any suggestions on a mechanical HOB filter for this purpose? My idea is to only turn it on when I have stirred up the detritus and turn it off when the water has cleared.

I do not need to add carbon to the HOB so could I add more floss in addition to the existing mechanical filter?

hillegom
01-10-2011, 12:18 AM
If you have a sump, then you could install a filter bag under the overflow.
If you add a HOB mechanical filter you would have to clean out the floss/sponge every 3 days or so to stop nitrate build up
How often do you change water? If you stir up the detrius, then siphon it out when you change the water.

Oscar
01-10-2011, 12:36 AM
If you have a sump, then you could install a filter bag under the overflow.
If you add a HOB mechanical filter you would have to clean out the floss/sponge every 3 days or so to stop nitrate build up
How often do you change water? If you stir up the detrius, then siphon it out when you change the water.

This is a AIO tank. I have tried the bags which were difficult without an appropriate location for their attachment. I only stir up the detritus every couple of days so the filter might run for only 2 hours per session. I change about 15% of water every 2 weeks. When I do the water change I do siphon out detritus from one of the rear chambers.

Oscar
01-10-2011, 04:11 PM
Any other thoughts on HOB?

pirate
01-10-2011, 05:59 PM
When I ran my bc29 I had a hob filter hanging off of it for awhile and it really did not do to much. It might have been a bit cleaner but for the trouble it was to use I finally took it off. I ran mine 24/7. It made it noisier. What I found for me was to run the bc filters worked the best but after I got tires of buying them I riped one of the old ones apart for the plastic housing and put my own filter floss in it. I had to change it every 2-3 days, but it made a difference.

What AIO do you have?

When I bought my bc29 I did not know much about it and got it up and runnning then found there are some mods you need to do. In the first chamer the false floor needs to be removed, no mater how clean it is on top there is gross gunk under that floor that you dont see or can reach. Bio balls need to be removed,and the floor under there needs to be removed same thing, grossness.

Oscar
01-10-2011, 07:12 PM
Thanks Pirate. I tried socks before but they were difficult to install due to the way the overflows are constructed. I might have try collecting detritus using floss temporarily attached to the overflows. A little modification with a plexi glass attachment might work.

jackcool
04-13-2011, 11:41 PM
Yes it is really annoying problem we all faces about algae. Filtration helps but I use a different way. I have some good fishes we eat algae. So now i don't have this kind of problem. I don't know much about HOB and mechanical filter. So i can't help you about this matter.