PDA

View Full Version : Basement sump

pirate
01-09-2011, 07:25 PM
Well I need more room for my fishy things. So I'm looking to move my sump from under my tank to the basement. My spare laundry room is right under my tank so I can go right thru the floor and into the room. Now for a couple of questions.
1 I have a ocean runner 6500 pump for my return, its only gonna pump at most 10ft up. (depends on the stand) Is this gonna be too much for the pump? I wont be using it for flow.
2 I have 2 300w heaters. Is this enough to keep everthing warm or am I going to have to put 1 on the tank and 1 in the sump? both in the sump? both in the tank none in the sump?
3 Do I need to wrap the pipes with insulation? Noise, heat loss etc, good idea or bad?
4 How do I contol the noise from the falling water? (It will drop 4 ft (inside of stand) then go horizontal for 2ft, and drop the rest of the way into the sump maybe 4 ft)

There are more but I'll start with that.

ALBERTA REEF
01-09-2011, 07:51 PM
1. the ocean runner head high is to low for your needs. I would pick a good external pump that will meet your needs of 10ft plus ten times main tank volume.
2. the heaters will be fine in the sump.
3. wrapping the pipes with insulastion in my opinion not needed, but will not hurt.
4. install a gate valve close to the flor as yuo can will control the noise in the sand.

The only problem I see with your plan is the location in the laundry room where the is soap and other chemicals that could possible accadently fall or be mistake going in ryour sump. suggest making a sump room. you can always plump to location.

pirate
01-09-2011, 08:00 PM
Its a laundry room in name only as there is a washer and dryer in there but I dont use them. I have my own machines upstaires. What would you recomend for a externial pump.

ALBERTA REEF
01-09-2011, 08:07 PM
Its a laundry room in name only as there is a washer and dryer in there but I dont use them. I have my own machines upstaires. What would you recomend for a externial pump.

If that room is not in us. remove the old washer and dryer. It would make a great little sump/fish room.

What size is your main tank gallons? Need to match your Head high and main tank ten times to pick the right pump for your needs.

pirate
01-09-2011, 08:12 PM
It would be 150 dt and a 90 sump. Right now it has a 1.5 single drain plumb into a corner overflow and in the oppisite corner I have a 1 return.

ALBERTA REEF
01-09-2011, 08:24 PM
I am thinking one of the Reeflo pumps. Is the sump going on a stand or on the floor of the laundry room? how high is the return of your tank and the upstairs floor? the reason I ask all these factory play on picking the right pump.

pirate
01-09-2011, 10:25 PM
Its 5 ft to the top of my tank from the floor. The sump is going to go on a stand, work height thinking 2.5 ft. Sump is 18" tall, so it should not be too bad for reaching in. From the top of the sump stand would be 5.5 ft approx, so 10.5 ft to the top of the tank if I go over the edge, or a bit less if I plumb in the tank the correct way. Not sure if I'm gonna plumb it in with flexable or ABS if it makes a difference.

Dez
01-09-2011, 10:32 PM
If you put your sump lower, it makes it easier to add a frag tank or a fuge later on down the road if you decide to do that, or even an easy water change system. I put my sump right on the floor and I do not regret it one bit. I use a Reeflo Blackfin 6000 (which would probably be a lot for you). My return pump runs my beckett skimmer, 2 frag tanks, a water change tank and still leaves me 1200 - 1500 gph upstairs for my display with the valve closed off a bit upstairs. A reeflo hammerhead might do the trick for you. Hope this insight helps a bit.

68shelby
01-09-2011, 10:49 PM
I moved my sump to the basement a couple years back. I had to upgrade to a 1200 gph pump just to push it upstairs.
And problem 2 was noise. Several things to consider 1 when piping thru the walls and floor make sure at no time does any of this piping rest against the wall or floor as it will resonate thru the walls. 2. Also I had to run a straight syphon line to the basement which is valved back so the regular and remainding water is at a minimal trickle. i had to do this because i was getting a vacuuming air sound thru my overflo as it was sucking air.
I have a 100g and I had to go to a 400 watt heater with a controller it has since died and has been replaced with a 300 watt with controller. It is adequate.
On the upside now the upstairs is a lot quieter in fact the loudest part of my tank is the fans from the lights. I do my water changes downstairs which prevents messes on the main floor. and water changes are a breeze as I have plumbed it into my bathroom drain with the flip of a few valves.

pirate
01-09-2011, 11:34 PM
. 2. Also I had to run a straight syphon line to the basement which is valved back so the regular and remainding water is at a minimal trickle. i had to do this because i was getting a vacuuming air sound thru my overflo as it was sucking air.

What is regular water and remainding water? As well what type of pump are you running?