PDA

View Full Version : Vertex Bio Pellets vs. NP Pellets what is the difference

The Grizz
01-09-2011, 06:39 PM
Can some one tell me what the difference is between the Vertex Bio Pellets and the NP Pellets? Do they both neutralize the same things and provide the same things into the water column?

globaldesigns
01-09-2011, 06:56 PM
Hey Greg,

From what I read, they both come from the same manufacturer. I don't know if this is true, but what I recall from reading articles.

They are both the same type of product doing the same job. NP is the first to come out, then of course many followed on the band wagon. So I do think you can go with the Vertex, which are cheaper and they will do the same job.

How are the clammies?

ALBERTA REEF
01-09-2011, 07:25 PM
I have used both. I seen no difference in performance. In my opinion there both are equally the same.

Tom R
01-09-2011, 07:40 PM
I am currently running a mix of both in my reactor with no problems.

For more info and great pricing go to:

http://www.oceaniccorals.com/store/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=500

Tom R

Coleus
01-09-2011, 08:34 PM
They work the same. Just the vertex pellets are smaller in size. I used both brands and just bought couple more bags from jl when it was on sale.

The Grizz
01-09-2011, 10:16 PM
Cool that is what I need to know, I picked some up yesturday for the MR1 and put in the recommended amount per gallon and it really does not look like there is that much in there.

So would it be safe to dump the remaining NP pellets into the MR1 with the Vertec pellets?

kien
01-09-2011, 10:56 PM
I have been running well OVER the "recommended" amount of pellets for a few months now (since September) without any issues. In theory you can't over do it with the pellets. Bacteria will consume what pellets are available. If you have more pellets than bacteria then the pellets should simple deplete at a slower rate. I recently added more pellets and a second reactor :D. I'm probably running close to 2 or 3 times over the published recommended amount. I really like that I don't have to touch the reactors for months on end. :D

In both my reactors I have a mix of the original NP Biopellets and Vertex pellets. I have not seen any NP Biopellets sold locally recently so I'll prob just stick to the vertex. I do like that the pellets are smaller and tend to tumble easier.

On the flip side, some people are still reporting issues with their use of pellets. So, if you are at all concerned or hesitant definitely follow product recommendations rather than being cavalier like me :lol:

The Grizz
01-10-2011, 12:16 AM
I have had zero issues and I think when I kicked in the NP pellets in my 2 TLF150s I put 500ml in each, way more then recommended so I think I will throw the hole 1000 ml of the Vertec pellets into the MR1 and see how it works.

I might as well fly by the seat of my pant like Kien does:biggrin: I mean seriously look at his reef tank!! Can't be all that bad right. :lol:

tinman
01-10-2011, 01:59 AM
i have a bag of each going around in a tlf 550 and no problems yet,(way more than the recommended amount) but i do like the vertex as they are easier to get moving and seem to tumble better.

Skimmerking
01-10-2011, 02:04 AM
what do it take out NO3 and phosphates

globaldesigns
01-10-2011, 02:08 AM
what do it take out NO3 and phosphates

Hey, they are pretty good, helps to create a NLS (nutrient low system) eating up all those nasty things like nitrates.

There is a trick to using them, keeping them tubmling vigorously on top, but very very slow at the bottom of the reactor. Also exporting the water from the reactor in front of the skimmer intake. If setup properly, they do a good job.

The Grizz
01-10-2011, 03:40 AM
Also exporting the water from the reactor in front of the skimmer intake. If setup properly, they do a good job.

That is my other question where does everyone have the water output from there reactors? I know Rick has his going back in front of his skimmers, what about the rest of you?

kien
01-10-2011, 03:45 AM
That is my other question where does everyone have the water output from there reactors? I know Rick has his going back in front of his skimmers, what about the rest of you?

Output of reactor close to intake of skimmer. I believe this is typically recommended by the manufacturers, and makes sense. As the bacteria consumes pellets they too will generate waste and you typically want that waste exported via the skimmer. Of course, not all if the bacterial waste will get skimmed out. Some will escape back into the tank and will become food for corals and other filter feeders.

The Grizz
01-10-2011, 04:18 AM
I have search for this info but have never been able to find it any where, maybe I was looking in the wrong place. My output hose is now down right in front of the pump that feeds my 1st skimmer.

Tom R
01-10-2011, 04:59 PM
I have a 400G system with 2 reactors.

1 x converted 3qt ZEOvit reactor with 1500 ml of pellets
1 x Vertex UF20 with 1100 ml of pellets

The ZEOvit reactor drains just in front of my skimmer intake.
The Vertex UF20 drains directly into my sump.

Tom R

globaldesigns
01-10-2011, 05:43 PM
Greg,

The reason for having the export from the pellets infront of the skimmer intake is for 2 reasons:

1.) The pellets do depleat the water of oxygen, so the skimmer re-oxygenizez the water
2.) To remove any excess that the pellets do create, anything not removed becomes food for the coral.

I hope this helps.

chris121277
01-10-2011, 06:40 PM
Don't mean to hi-jack your thread.....but I wanted to know, out of everyone here who is now running these type of pellets......did you see a noticeable difference from before you starting running them to after?

I guess what I'm getting at is it worth buying another reactor and running 3? (1 carbon, 1 phos remover and 1 bio pellet)

kien
01-10-2011, 07:16 PM
Don't mean to hi-jack your thread.....but I wanted to know, out of everyone here who is now running these type of pellets......did you see a noticeable difference from before you starting running them to after?

I guess what I'm getting at is it worth buying another reactor and running 3? (1 carbon, 1 phos remover and 1 bio pellet)

Did I see a different from before the pellets to now? Yes.

Before running the pellets I had a refugium going with chaeto and my nitrates hovered around 8ppm.

Two weeks after running pellets.
http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af144/muzanji/IMG_6651.jpg?t=1263966918 (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=483322&postcount=256)

4 weeks after running pellets. "Lo" means undetectable :)
http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af144/muzanji/IMG_8013.jpg?t=1265702951 (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=490428&postcount=276)

<ramble>
These pellets are a form of nutrient export and we all know that there are a crap load of ways to export nutrients from our tanks (Refugium with macro alage, zeoVit, mangroves, Vodka, sugar, massive skimming, water changes, bioPellets, etc..).

If you currently do not have ANY form of nutrient export, I think any of the above listed method will work more or less the same (depending on how you implement the methods). There are beautiful tanks out there that just rely on water changes, awesome tanks with just refugiums, awesome tanks running zeoVit, awesome tanks running mangroves, awesome tanks running bioPellets.

As to whether or not it is worth it to run three reactors? I think so yes. In fact I run 4 reactors. Two for biopellets, one for carbon and one for a small amount of GFO. I personally find running biopellets to be the easiest of all the methods. Drop in some pellets, turn on the reactor, tumble away. Top up pellets every few months.

Anyway, that's my experience and opinion :) There are still reports of many people trying bioPellets with poor results, but the same can be said with all the other methods as well :)
</ramble>

chris121277
01-10-2011, 07:52 PM
Thanks for that man, I've just read so many threads about people saying that there tanks were worse off when running only the Bio pellets, but at the same time I've seen a bunch that said there great as long as you run a phos remove like the BRS stuff.

You are the first to show me test results though, I appreciate that. Now I've heard some people saying they noticed a big difference in there corals.....have you noticed any such change?

kien
01-10-2011, 08:08 PM
Thanks for that man, I've just read so many threads about people saying that there tanks were worse off when running only the Bio pellets, but at the same time I've seen a bunch that said there great as long as you run a phos remove like the BRS stuff.

You are the first to show me test results though, I appreciate that. Now I've heard some people saying they noticed a big difference in there corals.....have you noticed any such change?

Again, I think the same can be said about all the other methods as well. There are a bunch of people who say they tried zeo with poor results, or they tried vodka dosing with poor results, or their refugium gives them poor results. While at the same time there are tonnes of people who do use those methods and get great results :noidea:

Did I notice a change with my corals? Yup. some of my corals certainly did respond by exhibiting lighter colours. Growth didn't really change though as phosphates were virtually zero in both cases (before and after pellets).

One thing I did notice with the pellets is that while they did great at stripping nitrates, they didn't perform so well with phosphates. I have no idea why. When I started using the pellets I took my GFO reactor off line because the pellets are supposed to strip N and P together. Well, I observed my phosphates climb from zero to 0.14 and hovered around there while just running the pellets. While I certainly wouldn't lose sleep over a phosphate reading of 0.14, I still did not like it so I put the GFO reactor back on line and once again have my phosphate reading at zero. So contrary to what is typically recommended with these pellets I do run GFO as a phosphate remover in conjunction with the pellets.

freezetyle
01-10-2011, 08:11 PM
along with what kien mentioned. i noticed a drastic increase in water clarity

chris121277
01-10-2011, 08:23 PM
Thank you for takin the time to answer me guys..

and again, sorry for Hi-jacking your thread Grizz

globaldesigns
01-10-2011, 09:19 PM

Personally I don't think you need another reactor, remove the phos remover and use that reactor for the pellets. I personally haven't had any issues with phosphates, so I haven't run anything to do with it. I did have algae, hair algae and others, but running pellets did destroy all that.

Not sure if running Rowa or any other phos remover is beneficial with Pellets, can anyone else pipe in and give any info on running the 2 in the same tank?

blacknife
01-11-2011, 12:28 AM
I dont test as much as I should but i pulled the gfo when i started pellets too.

everything looks better. I do sometimes get diatoms or cyano still<major problem for me before> but after i put the gfo back in this happens less often.

Probably learning beter housekeeping along the path to get my sps frags to do more than just sit there while all the lps and fish are happy as hell.

The Grizz
01-11-2011, 01:24 AM

No worries Chris this is good info that I appreciate from everyone. No question on this matter is a bad thing from anyone.

So here is one more, for some reason I don't really know what but I have to ask.......what is GFO? KIEN, RICK.......

I notice a difference as well, my P & N's when I test are undetectable but I still have a little trouble with water clarity. There is always a fair amount of debri floating around my tank. I am going to build a custom tray to hold some floss and maybe strain some of this out.

globaldesigns
01-11-2011, 01:31 AM
No worries Chris this is good info that I appreciate from everyone. No question on this matter is a bad thing from anyone.

So here is one more, for some reason I don't really know what but I have to ask.......what is GFO? KIEN, RICK.......

I notice a difference as well, my P & N's when I test are undetectable but I still have a little trouble with water clarity. There is always a fair amount of debri floating around my tank. I am going to build a custom tray to hold some floss and maybe strain some of this out.

GFO = Granular Ferric Oxide

chris121277
01-11-2011, 01:32 AM
GFO= granular ferric oxide

This is the stuff I'm running now
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/products/carbon-and-gfo/bulk-gfo-granular-ferric-oxide-phosphate-remover/bulk-granular-gfo-phosphate-remover/1-pound-453-grams-bulk-gfo-granular-ferric-oxide.html

Coleus
01-11-2011, 01:32 AM
Personally I don't think you need another reactor, remove the phos remover and use that reactor for the pellets. I personally haven't had any issues with phosphates, so I haven't run anything to do with it. I did have algae, hair algae and others, but running pellets did destroy all that.

Not sure if running Rowa or any other phos remover is beneficial with Pellets, can anyone else pipe in and give any info on running the 2 in the same tank?

I also took my GFO reactor off, I think you need both phosphate and nitrate to make pellets work well

The Grizz
01-11-2011, 01:48 AM
GFO = Granular Ferric Oxide

GFO= granular ferric oxide

This is the stuff I'm running now
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/products/carbon-and-gfo/bulk-gfo-granular-ferric-oxide-phosphate-remover/bulk-granular-gfo-phosphate-remover/1-pound-453-grams-bulk-gfo-granular-ferric-oxide.html

Ok ya I have look at this once, I guess 6 hrs of plowing snow so far has my brain numb, thanks guys.