PDA

View Full Version : live blackworms in Canada?

daniella3d
01-09-2011, 06:36 PM
Is it possible to buy live blackworms in Canada? I want to get something else to feed my copperband butterfly. For now he eats PE mysis (3 per days max) and tons of live white worms. I want to add a bit of variety to its diet with some blackworms.

Mine does not care for aiptasia one bit and my tank if full of them, too bad.

Veng68
01-09-2011, 06:45 PM
Cut down on the white worms. They are very fatty. Many discus keepers only feed them sparingly because of this.

I know of one place that sells black worms locally......... but not sure how they would ship to Quebec.

Cheers,
Vic

daniella3d
01-09-2011, 07:47 PM
yes I know the white worms are fat but the copperband was skinny and I am fattening it up with the white worms. When I got it the fish was quite pinched on the top of the body and the stomach was sunken. He was not as skinny as they get but on its way there in a matter of a week maybe days. He was eating 3 mysis per day, that's it. Now he's plump and fat around the belly and the fat on the top of the body is building up nicely. I will only cut down on the white worms once the fish is back to its full fat reserve.

I want to get him back to normal level of fat before I introduce it to my main tank.

The white worms are fat, 14% fat, but they are also great in protein, 70%. A great live food to bring weak fish to health. I also enrich those white worms with Selcon as I soak the bread in milk and selcon and the worms feed on this, so they are also rich in the right fatty acid and the vitamines contained in Selcon. BTW, PE mysis are almost as fat as the white worms with 9% fat and 70% protein.

however no food is good as the only source of food. I beleive the copperband also eat pods in my tank as I don't see as many amphipods as used to.

Does this place has a web site?

I used to have discus and that's why I have white worms, to bring into breeding condition the nice prized discus and it worked well. Same as it work wonder to fatten up a very skinny saltwater fish.

Cut down on the white worms. They are very fatty. Many discus keepers only feed them sparingly because of this.

I know of one place that sells black worms locally......... but not sure how they would ship to Quebec.

Cheers,
Vic

darb
01-10-2011, 12:40 AM
many LFS sell LBW in Canada.

in Vancouver, off hand I know Multiplex, Canadian Aquatics and Aprils keep them in stock.

daniella3d
01-10-2011, 02:47 AM
Ok I should have precised that I live in Montreal so need some company that will ship them.

many LFS sell LBW in Canada.

in Vancouver, off hand I know Multiplex, Canadian Aquatics and Aprils keep them in stock.

darb
01-10-2011, 05:49 AM
The second part of my response was primarily directed towards Vic and the first part at you. My point being that they are probably available in Montreal if you ask around. Canadian Aquatics will ship though if you can't find them locally.